Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I ever wanted to up the power or even boost what kind of power would the torque converter handle?
What would the transmission handle if I got a better TC?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=3 For The Money link=topic=70863.msg1243219#msg1243219 date=1172807617]
If I ever wanted to up the power or even boost what kind of power would the torque converter handle?
What would the transmission handle if I got a better TC?
[/quote]

look some more, but i think some beefing up is recommended, for stage 2 for sure and maybe for even mild boost.

·
Banned
13,838 Posts
go into the forced induction forums, the guys there talk about transmission cooling, and valve boddies. Those are to keep the auto intact for boosting. To my knowledge the NA mods shouldnt be hard on the tranny. Mainly because they are not enormous gains that boosting does, and do not put much wear on the engine. It seems to me some of the NA stuff basically brings back the power that the engine uses on other chores. Such as how the exhaust opens up the flow out, so the engine doesn't waste energy trying to get rid of it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the general consensus is that the tranny can hold boost just fine, it's shifting during boost that makes it slip and thus break. so people generally recommend using the manumatic mode and letting off the gas during gear shifts and then gassing it; much like you were driving a manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts