Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, didn't manage to successfully search for this answer so... I've got the Lucas Oil fuel system cleaner stuff, but it doesn't say on the bottle how much to use. How much should i toss in a full tank? thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
If it is your average size bottle of fuel cleaner, just use it all. They usually state that they will treat 15-20 gallons. It doesnt matter what size fuel tank I have, I have always just pour in the bottle.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=pb_blade link=topic=69054.msg1196413#msg1196413 date=1170996306]
Hey guys, didn't manage to successfully search for this answer so... I've got the Lucas Oil fuel system cleaner stuff, but it doesn't say on the bottle how much to use. How much should i toss in a full tank? thanks
[/quote]

get a refund or simply throw it away, that product is garbage.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I havent used the Lucas, but I am curious, what do you base that on?? I always use Gumout Regane total fuel system cleaner, with excellent results. Every 50K, I will clean my motor with Seafoam, and also throw a can into my fuel tank.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Several vehicles that I have personally worked on, several members here and a whole boatload of people at BITOG have all had poor results. Normally the spark plugs will be oily after using this stuff.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Lucas is 3oz. to every 10 gallons.

I don't know that I'd consider it "garbage". I used it for a while to compare to FP60 (lubecontrol.com). I've tracked every tank of gas since we purchased our 3. Over a few months, the MPG's were up when I was using Lucas, but I know there's no scientific proof to show that the inrease was b/c of Lucas. Take it for what it's worth. Also, the one and only UOA I've had done on the 3 was from when I was using Lucas. Report came back flawless so it had no affect on that like some say it does. We'll see about the spark plugs when the time comes.

My overall experience with Lucas was pretty positive. I use an additive before each and every fill-up (FP60 currently) because it's cheaper that way. Plus, both Lucas & FP60 help to lubricate the fuel system a little which has to help a little. I've gone back to FP60 for the time being just for more comparison's. The only noticeable difference is that Lucas is a little thicker fluid. Both seem to work good in my experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k what the hell lol, it was on these forums on some older thread i posted last fall that i was recommended lucas oil... i was told to avoid the crappy tire house brand which is quite logical. thanks for your guys feedback though, much appreciated

·
Registered
525 Posts
I always tought Lucas had good products. I dont have alot of experience with their products other than............
their name will be on our new Colts stadium. Gotta do pretty well to buy that.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=maudi3 link=topic=69054.msg1198520#msg1198520 date=1171075357]
Several vehicles that I have personally worked on, several members here and a whole boatload of people at BITOG have all had poor results. Normally the spark plugs will be oily after using this stuff.
[/quote]

exactly. My plugs were fouled and oily as shit after using that junk. Might as well pour 10w40 in your gas tank.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't really think any type of "pour in with every fill up" fuel system cleaner does anything except waste your money. I've never had a fuel system problem and I've never used products like these. I think it's a little over kill..I mean we all have fuel filters, that should be good enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=Kyle Hadcock link=topic=69054.msg1200145#msg1200145 date=1171164364]
I don't really think any type of "pour in with every fill up" fuel system cleaner does anything except waste your money.[/quote]
It ends up being cheaper than using a fuel system cleaner that is supposed to be used every so many thousands of miles. FP60 and Lucas UCL only take 2-3 oz. of product each fill-up. They do more than you think.

[quote author=Kyle Hadcock link=topic=69054.msg1200145#msg1200145 date=1171164364]
I mean we all have fuel filters, that should be good enough in my opinion.
[/quote]
Fuel filters aren't enough to keep your system clean. You'll still get deposits past the point of the filter.

Check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com and you might change you're mind about what you're saying.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i've used both lucas oil fuel system cleaner as well as their synthetic oil stabilizer. works absolutely fine and i'm getting a small increase in mileage as well.

of all the fuel system cleaners, i just buy the smallest "1 tank" size for lucas oil stuff and just dump it in every 5k kms or so.

·
Registered
759 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=69054.msg1200553#msg1200553 date=1171202019]

Fuel filters aren't enough to keep your system clean. You'll still get deposits past the point of the filter.

Check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com and you might change you're mind about what you're saying.
[/quote]

I'm having trouble finding where he talks about that stuff. Can you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Look through the forums in the Fuel, Additives, and Cleaners area. There are a lot of threads on it and other cleaners.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah, I saw people talking about it. I didn't see anything that said specifically "These things work and are worth the money". And I didn't see Bob (from Bob The Oil Guy) say anything either.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It's a message board which means there's more "real world experiences" than scientific data. You have to make your own conclusions. However, I will say that there are a few tribologists who aren't paid to recommend one brand or another. One of them, Terry, will always recommend FP60 because of the testing he has done on the product. Because of this and the fact that people have had positive results, it's the most popular "every fill-up" fuel system cleaner.

Go over there and post the question "are fuel system cleaners, specifically "every fill-up" ones a waste?" See what kind of response you get.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=Kyle Hadcock link=topic=69054.msg1201520#msg1201520 date=1171246686]
Naw that's ok, I know marketing when I see it. ;)
[/quote]

Whatever floats your boat...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts