Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between a CAI or SRI. I live in Alabama where it likes to get hot and muggy during the summer. I was wondering how much the outside temperature, or temp of the pavement, would affect performance of either intake. Would it render either one practically useless? If it does, are they both still better than stock during the same conditions? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Generally, a CAI is going to be better in those conditions, just because your drawing on a cooler source of air than an SRI. Although, I wouldn't really expect to see any negative effects with a SRI unless you're stopped at a light for a fair amount of time, or moving slowly in traffic--in which case heatsoak becomes an issue. When you're crusing, there is enough airflow through the engine bay that the intake air temp won't be a huge concern.

Ultimately, unless you spend a lot of time driving through partially flooded streets, I'd see no compelling reason to get an SRI over a CAI, given the climate in that area.

Compared to stock, a SRI is going to see worse heatsink, since the stock intake draws air from the driver's side wheelwell--as good or better than a CAI as far as air temps. The CAI is designed to flow much more freely than stock, however, to open up the top end. On this car, a SRI tends to improve throttle response and maybe bump low-end torque a bit, but they don't add much up top.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts