Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mines stock but i was in 1st gear, redlining like crazy, went into 2nd gear and still was in redline (never came out of redline) then i was in 3rd gear still in redline.

so like 1~~ redline 2 - 3 all in redline. i think it was like 2 times i did that.

was on some ice in a parking lot. and i was like at 100 mph in less than 15 feet.

was nuts. but totally safe. no one was there, all empty, no light poles.

so... im pretty sure my transmission and tires are fine, but just wondering.

We got some strong transmissions stock? I know turbo ppl be blowing theres, but this is different.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Err, this is probably the kind of question you want to ask before you spin your tires at 100mph in an icy parking lot. And if you're worried about it, then just don't do it.

I mean, it's kind of like asking "How strong is a human skull? Cuz I was banging my head against this cinder-block wall last night, and...."

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was just wondering. i did it, i didnt think id be all up in the redline the whole time, i thought maybe id drop down then go again? But it was so fast.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Well, in any case, I don't think that the tranny would see a lick of damage, since there would be almost no load on it due to the ice. Plus, if it was just for a few seconds...

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol.

couple ppl here were drifting or more like sliding around the icey parking lots in town.

i think kmart parking lot, university parking lot, junior high parking lot.

guy got busted at the college tho lol, 2 cops showed up.

and i learned about ebrake pulls too. neat but ill never do it in dry ground........

like this kid i know. he ebraked drifting in his 4 door cavalier.. and now his ebrake wont work. I think i know how to fix it, but maybe its better if he just doesnt have it no more...
(plus he hit on this girl im trying to go out with! grr... lol. )

but ice here in oklahoma was nuts.
dont you guys wish you lived in a state with its own song "oklahoma"

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Um yes it is bad on the transmision. First of all it builds a gross amount of heat in it and second of all most open differentials (heck all differentials) prefer to keep the speed difference between wheels to a minimum. Spinning it up that high there is a good chance one of the tires is not spinning at the same rate as the other one (especially if just one tire is on ice or just much much slicker ice). Trust me, you don't want 100mph of speed differential from one side to the other for the wheels.

Also not so good on the tires, as slick as that pavement might be with the ice, if it hits sharp pieces or rougher surface that is going to cause a lot of wear or cut the tires.

Drifting is all fun and games, but it is acomplished with a much smaller amount of wheel slip then what you described.
-Matt

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I think it's ok as long as he didn't sustain redline for that long. I think he just "hit" redline, then it shifted. Plus it wasn't really a hot day so temperatures should be a little lower.

I would also think that our cars are built to hit redline and if there was an RPM that our engine is not supposed to hit, we should be prety well "protected".

I'm just saying it's not something to worry about, but then again I wouldn't condone anyone to try it. (Though it does seem fun)

I think I've hit redline for like a half second in a wet parking lot in 1st. The RPM shoots up there so fast if you have no traction! heh

·
Registered
338 Posts
We got some strong transmissions stock? I know turbo ppl be blowing theres, but this is different.
Well, there is only one way to find out...Do this a number of times and let us know how it went.

I don't think that any transmission in a street car is going to take abuse well. Let me tell you, keep doing this and you'll be posting on "blown engine" or "blown transmission" threads.

Take care.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hha yeah i only did it twice.

my rpms were high and in redline almost the whole time.

like when i went to 2nd, it didnt come out of redline.

but here in oklahoma, this is like a once a couple year thing.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
just dont do any more retarded shit. If you think it might hurt your car, then its not a good idea. I dont even see the point in doing what you did.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=kspec link=topic=67130.msg1152992#msg1152992 date=1168989878]
so like 1~~ redline 2 - 3 all in redline. [/quote]

Sounds like your VTEC was kicking in!! :rofl:

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha maudi3. i must got i-vtec! lol

doesnt need to have a point to do stuff, just for fun!

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
The issue is that one ice there is a very low engine load for the amount of power being put through it. There is a reason why it is bad to rev the engine to redline while in neutral or clutch in, because it puts an inordinate amount of wear on the bearings since there is very little force to press the rotating surfaces against the bearings. Same idea here, the ice provides little traction so there is a much, much lower force pressing the rotating surfaces into the bearings.

As for the trans, the outside temperature has some bearing on the wear on the transmision, but a rapid acceleration in the transmision is going to cause a huge amount of heat build up in the transmission fluid, and especially in the differential. A few cars have issues with this where the diff pin spot welds itself to the spider gear and then snaps due to localized heating from excessive tire spin. Not many cars have this issue due to better design, but the more you push the car the more heating there is in the differential. I doubt you killed the diff, the trans, or the engine (the diff could take anywhere from a few miles to a few thousand for the broken diff pin to fall out and cause differential failure)...but it certainly is extremely hard on all bits involved.

Be smarter, simply drift the car, don't spin the tires like crazy.
-Matt

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, ive never did anything like that before, so you know. curiosity... lol.

but thx for the info you guys. ill be more cautious next time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts