Lower the 3 or not?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I deperately want to lower my 3.. I ask myself, what if i get my car lower a bit.. i know it would look much better.. So.. i am just curious that.. how many people actually want to lower your car.. lets vote for this.. !!!!

EDIT: Added poll (for fun)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WHy why

My picture doenst show up properly.. damn it.. plz someone explain it to me!~ thx

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
lol...calm down meng...you sound almost frantic that something is wrong with the car becuz its NOT lowered....i agree i think i want to lower it just a tad...but im waiting for springs or for some coilovers...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree

I agree that the M3 could be lowered and would like to drop mine a tad to take up the gap in the wheel well a bit. My problem is that this car handles so flat and rides so well from the factory that I wonder if things will get worse. I have owned water cooled VW's for years and went with progressive springs on all of them, the handling improved beyond belief but the ride was pretty stiff over the nasty stuff. Waranty and all owning a new vehicle, this is a big decision.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think my 3 would look awsome if it was lowered, especially if it looked anything like the pics of the Tit Grey sedan on the Kenstyle bodykit threads. only problem here would be all the snow in winter and the ruts on the snowpacked roads

·
Registered
27 Posts
Snow....argh!

Man I hate that snow stuff. Check out the discussion under Eibach in suspension..some good points made there. Did I mention that I'm tired of the snow yet?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I want to lower mine, but won't touch the suspension till they have a whole spring/shock kit that shows an improvement in handling with minimal loss in ride quality. and a rear tie bar and strut tower bar would be nice too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
dinu01 said:
I went with leave it as it is - it handles well, yet it still provides a civilized ride.
AGREED.

Leave it alone...it handles so nicely. I can see lowering the M3 as a cosmetic effect, but not for the performance factor. On cars like that tend to have a lot of body roll or too soft of a suspension, then lowering would be ideal cosmetically and performance wise. Lower the M3 will only compromise the ride IMO. Some of my friends think that the car is already lowered because of the 17" wheels with low-profiles, side skirts, and the lower than normal wheel gap. But its totally up to you...remember the M3's suspension is stiff as it is. If you lower it, you'll be bouncing up and down on every little bump in the road :D .

Spencer

·
Registered
109 Posts
overkast said:
If you lower it, you'll be bouncing up and down on every little bump in the road :D .
Spencer
then drive around!
makes more fun anyway to drive a little more curves than just straight.

:wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
good question..i still have not seen a 3 in person (yeah and i live in houston, very weird) but for some reason everytime i see a damn ass ugly corolla in the distance i get my hopes up. i get near it, and yep, i see its one of them ass corollas. for some reason, i see a close resemblance and was wondering if it was just me. the corolla looks very big and high and the lights look like the 3's...

just wondering what you guys thought of that.

if the 3 is indeed that high, well, im taking it off of my list.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
vartex said:
good. that makes me feel a little better!!

but dont you see any resemblance with the corrolla's??
Go see a 3 in person....2 different cars. The only thing they have in common is that they are in the same car categorie.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
vartex said:
if the 3 is indeed that high, well, im taking it off of my list.

sorry to sound like an ass, but thats one of the lamest excuses to not get a car...

·
Registered
98 Posts
i guess you are right, however, new cars these days are higher and for some reason more ugly ie corrolla and jettas...

well let me ask this then: is it as low as the 6, because that is pefect!

and i do still think there is a resemblance from the front between the 3 and corrolla.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Corrollas have a cab forward design that eats up hood length and for some reason, makes the hood angle upwards alot more drastically. Combined with the high design, they look out of proportion.

The 3's design returns much of this hood length with a pushed back cabin and equals out the proportions to make it look more traditional.

For an even better comparison, check out the dimensions for an Audi A4 (which I think is a great looking car), their dimensions are almost the same as the 3/Corolla as well.

The main reason that cars are getting higher/larger is because of the growing number of SUVs on the road and the demand for higher visiblity points. Its another reason that crossover vehicles and sportUTEs have been gaining interest.

When you park your 3 in a parking lot check out its design compared to a 80's or 90's style, it looks enormous. I parked next to a caravan and it looks like it matches up with it. Almost like the caravan was at 1:1 scale while my 3 was at 1.5:1 (with 1 being a "normal" sized car).

·
Registered
46 Posts
dont slam it..you will ruin the car just a reasonable drop 1.5" or so stay awayfrom cheap coilovers
spoke to hr yesterday...the springs are in development...do out sometime this year...not even close to being finished ..regardless what the rack says...and i would only lower it using a camber correction kit..it will probably 6 months or longer before it is out ...by lowering the car you get rid of the excessive fender gap and the car has a lower center of gravity..a must when you go to larger wheels and tires..otherwise the car has a lifted.... look uncool...and you have the whole supension apart you might as well add new shocks since the old one are already out and factory shocks as a rule suck

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wanna slam my 3, the only concern I have is wether it will affect my warranty. I don't want the people at the dealr busting my chops because I've lowered my car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts