How many people have legal limit tint?

7K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  chickmod 
#1 ·
post pix

#3 ·
in NJ no tint is allowed on the front windows.... i have 5% all around

#4 ·
In GA law is like 32%
I got 35 on front & back and 20% on rear. Tint shop said 20 on rear should not be a problem, he does cop cars all the time and that is what they put on the rear

sorry no pix

#7 ·
i had 35% on the front windows, 20 in for the rest, got a ticket for 250 so i had to take the backside windows out. It looks funny as hell right now with no tint on my back windows...

#8 ·
35% all around, legal limit in Md is 35% so technically i'm over but i doubt anyone will ever notice...

#10 ·
Great post, now we will all know who is running illegal tint, makes it easier to find you and get a ticket.

Well does not matter, everyone braggs about anything they do illegal to thier cars here, so what is one more thread right ?

Tint, exhaust, reflectors, etc...

Great posts for the police to read :lol:

#11 ·
[quote author=Verto link=topic=134847.msg2904367#msg2904367 date=1233507038]
35% all around, legal limit in Md is 35% so technically i'm over but i doubt anyone will ever notice...
[/quote]

I said the same thing. I had 35% and the law here is 35% +/- 3%. Got pulled over, went to the DMV and measured in at 31%. Got them retinted at 40%, and it measured in at 32%.. lol.

Now I get to do it all over again because I'm getting a new 3. So that means I'll have spent ~$600 on tint between 2 cars.. lmao.

#12 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=134847.msg2904384#msg2904384 date=1233507907]
Great post, now we will all know who is running illegal tint, makes it easier to find you and get a ticket.

Well does not matter, everyone braggs about anything they do illegal to thier cars here, so what is noe more thread right ?

Great posts for the police to read  :lol:
[/quote]

Actually technically I'm legal, seeing that I have documentation from an ophthalmologist regarding my light sensitivity and resulting migraines. But I'd be more than happy to shove that in the face of any cop who really has the time and the nerve to hunt me down over such a minor issue based on a random Internet posting anyway.

Edit: And who's bragging? The OP asked a question. We're answering. Get off your high horse, man.

#13 ·
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=134847.msg2904927#msg2904927 date=1233527050]

Well does not matter, everyone braggs about anything they do illegal to thier cars here, so what is noe more thread right ?

Great posts for the police to read :lol:
[/quote]

Actually technically I'm legal, seeing that I have documentation from an ophthalmologist regarding my light sensitivity and resulting migraines. But I'd be more than happy to shove that in the face of any cop who really has the time and the nerve to hunt me down over such a minor issue based on a random Internet posting anyway.

Edit: And who's bragging? The OP asked a question. We're answering. Get off your high horse, man.
[/quote]

how is he on a high horse?

I guess he could have said everyone "talks"... but then again who really cares.

#14 ·
:autoxer:

#19 ·
[quote author=PJ 3i07 link=topic=134847.msg2904956#msg2904956 date=1233528219]
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=134847.msg2904927#msg2904927 date=1233527050]

Great posts for the police to read  :lol:
[/quote]

[/quote]

how is he on a high horse?

I guess he could have said everyone "talks"... but then again who really cares.
[/quote]

Good call, maybe I meant get off his soap box :lol:. Either way, my point was, he comes in here talking trash and making assumptions for no reason. The OP asked a question, we're here answering the question. His post came off to me as more of an attack than any useful contribution to the thread, hence my response. But maybe it's just me.

#21 ·
[quote author=roman86s link=topic=134847.msg2905142#msg2905142 date=1233537236]
15% all the way around. im on my second warning next is ticket
[/quote]

This is what I meant by bragging, question was who has legal tint, not illegal, so really this does not belong here either, but you guys do what you want.

Hey I dont even have tint, but when I do, it will be legal.

BTW- I also have a eye doctors note about light sensitivity, and the DMV does not care, they said that's what sunglasses are for, tint cannot go past legal because of my condition, well that's in NC anyways. I was going to get tint last year and try to get at least 20% but I dont want to deal with the night vision problems just to have my car look cool.

The statement above supports why illegal tint is not worth it, but again wrong topic I know.

Sorry if my wording comes off as agressive, not what I meant, just giving some thought from the legal standpoint, I will admit when I was younger I had to have illegal tint, like everyone else, just to play along, but now that I'm 33, I dont see the thrill anymore of wondering if and when I will get pulled.

#22 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=134847.msg2905168#msg2905168 date=1233538654]
[quote author=roman86s link=topic=134847.msg2905142#msg2905142 date=1233537236]
15% all the way around. im on my second warning next is ticket
[/quote]

This is what I meant by bragging, question was who has legal tint, not illegal, so really this does not belong here either, but you guys do what you want.

Hey I dont even have tint, but when I do, it will be legal.

BTW- I also have a eye doctors note about light sensitivity, and the DMV does not care, they said that's what sunglasses are for, tint cannot go past legal because of my condition, well that's in NC anyways. I was going to get tint last year and try to get at least 20% but I dont want to deal with the night vision problems just to have my car look cool.

The statement above supports why illegal tint is not worth it, but again wrong topic I know.

Sorry if my wording comes off as agressive, not what I meant, just giving some thought from the legal standpoint, I will admit when I was younger I had to have illegal tint, like everyone else, just to play along, but now that I'm 33, I dont see the thrill anymore of wondering if and when I will get pulled.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Just for the record, it is in Washington State law that you can have any darkness of tint as long as you have proof of an eye condition requiring it. Also, at 20%, I have almost no problems with night vision. However, I wouldn't go any darker for that reason. But with all that said, I do more or less agree with you. My personal reasons for tinting my windows darker than the legal limit had more to it than just looks and style, but I recognize I'm a more unusual case than most.

Anyway, I got the impression the OP was kind of just wanting to gauge what different levels of tint look like, so hopefully the couple pics posted in this thread help him out a little, even if they are of illegal tints.

#24 ·
get pulled over and ask lol. go to a tint shop and ask them

#25 ·
[quote author=blankets3 link=topic=134847.msg2906571#msg2906571 date=1233604169]
i have no clue what % my tint is... i got the car with tint on alrdy, how would i go about finding out?
[/quote]

A tint shop will have the meter needed to read the LTV of the tint. You could also get it done by a vehicle inspector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.