Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
So my clutch went out on me yesterday at ~88k as I was driving home on the freeway, luckily I was able to pull over or I would have been a dead duck. I have an 04 and so warranty is not an option, anyone know where I can pick up a clutch set as my mechanic is quoting 700-800 for a clutch.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
Its odd that people are saying their clutches are just up and dying on them... usually its a very slow gradual death for a clutch. Mine is still going strong at 60k but it doesn't clamp on take offs quite as well as it did when it was new but I don't think its near the end of its life span either.

· Registered
68 Posts
As the RPM increases, the car doesn't seem to move as quickly as before. It will feel like the transmission is not in gear if the slipping is really bad. You may or may not hear abnormal noise or get vibrations.

· Registered
385 Posts
How can the clutch on the Mz3 slip? It hesitates so much starting out... :lol:

Anyway, I've driven many of cars and never had a clutch go out (knock on wood).

· Registered
5,094 Posts
[quote author=vitaminC link=topic=74525.msg1653436#msg1653436 date=1187570451]
what am I supposed to feel? the clutch pedal will shake heavily?
[/quote]

In the case of my previous car I would try to accelerate from a lower rpm in a higher gear and the rpm would climb faster than they normally would and I would be accelerating not that fast. Say I was in 4th gear at 2k rpm, the rpm's would climb up to 3,500rpm, but would then drop back down when I let off the gas.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah the classic symptom of a slipping clutch is for the rpms to jump up or climb quickly with little if any actual acceleration. This is usually most evident in higher gears such as 4th and 5th.

· Registered
2,226 Posts
If it was under the manufacturers warranty period, say 30K miles? I ask because they wouldn't cover my brakes under warranty and said that nobody covers brakes "its not a warranty item, its a normal wear & tear item".....they shuddered and squealed with just 17k on them.

· Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=AxelaSpeed link=topic=74525.msg1329893#msg1329893 date=1176384758]
okay so last night on my home from work my car just dies, engine is going but car aint going no where, got stuck on the side of the boonies on my way home, sucked 1hour an half in the middle of bumble f*CK, my car had 77858 miles on it, what is the life expectancy on a stock clutch 5years? 50 or 70k miles before its supposed to replaced....?

dropped the car off at the dealer they are charging me 876 plus tax for new clutch and labor, :dur:
[/quote]

It's too late, but I would never go to the dealer for a clutch replacement. Take it to an expert and have them do it. Probably would run you under $500 and you'd get a better clutch.

· Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=oneill8769 link=topic=74525.msg1679432#msg1679432 date=1188483130]
Well, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but since the clutch is part of the drivetrain, and that is (again, correct me if I'm wrong) what the warranty covers, then yes, it should be taken care of.
[/quote]

Wear and tear? It's the dealer's choice whether they replace it under warranty or not.

· Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=DemonOfTheFall link=topic=74525.msg1330423#msg1330423 date=1176395818]
Damn! I have only 45k on mine but I beat the living hell out of it, still gripping like day 1 though
[/quote]
:werd: But then again I had my transmission replaced at 42k, so they may have replaced the clutch along with the transmission.

· Registered
546 Posts
45K replacing tomorrow with a Apexi Stage 1, Its not fully dead but slipping bad enough that I don't want to drive it to the beach this weekend... So I am getting a new one!! :D

· Registered
2,226 Posts
All this "dead transmission talk" scares the hell out of me...mine is whining in second pretty loudly when you take the RPMs up.....cross between a whine and a whirring sound. Its definitely a tranny heading south.....I have under 30K on it.......p_sses me off.

· Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=mctwist link=topic=74525.msg1679803#msg1679803 date=1188491409]
All this "dead transmission talk" scares the hell out of me...mine is whining in second pretty loudly when you take the RPMs up.....cross between a whine and a whirring sound. Its definitely a tranny heading south.....I have under 30K on it.......p_sses me off.
[/quote]

That might be the engine. Every once in a while I'll get a whining sound like I'm driving a V8 powered car.

· Registered
9,467 Posts
[quote author=mctwist link=topic=74525.msg1679406#msg1679406 date=1188482541]
If it was under the manufacturers warranty period, say 30K miles? I ask because they wouldn't cover my brakes under warranty and said that nobody covers brakes "its not a warranty item, its a normal wear & tear item".....they shuddered and squealed with just 17k on them.
[/quote]

12,000 miles or 1 year. Check your warranty information, the clutch disk is listed under wear and tear coverables along with brake rotors and pads. There are a few other things under there. Standard coverage on basically all cars is 12k/1yr for wearable items.
-Matt

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.