Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wondering if any one knows how much current our cigarette lighter sockets can handle. Since the power gets cut when the ignition is off it seems like a great place to splice wires to a carpc and monitor. But i'm worried about drawing too much current. btw i've already hooked up 4 cold cathodes to the cigarette lighter, any help would be much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You probably don't want to add any more things to your cig circuit since you already have the 4 cold cathodes. If you removed those, you might be able to get away with running the monitor, but the car PC is out...use 8 gauge like you would with an amp install straight to the battery, then get a car PC power supply that accepts a remote turn-on lead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
errr excuse my ignorance, "remote turn on lead" what's that? As for connecting the car PC to the battery, sounds like i'd need a DC-DC power supply. And a relay to turn the PC power on and off? and for the signal wire of the relay i could connect this to the positive and negative of the cigarette lighter? or am i missunderstanding the usage of a relay completely lol. gonna need a way to turn the PC off when i turn off the ignition.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I haven't done much research into it, but I believe they make special power supplies specifically for use in car PCs. Why you won't want to just use an AC inverter is that whenever you turn the car off, the PC will power off too without going through the shutdown process. A dedicated car PC power supply will sense when the car is turned off and either put the PC into sleep mode or shut it down properly. The remote turn-on lead is what tells the power supply if the car is started or not. You'd wire the power supply the same way you would an amp.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
PC_blade- checkout mp3car.com it's probably the best resource out there for anything carpc related. They've got their own storefront as well that sells anything you could possibly need. DrWebster is correct that they make power supplies specifically designed for a car pc application. They also make startup/shutdown controllers which is essentially a relay board with a lot of nice features. I spend some time reading up on that site every so often and gain a lot of valuable insight for my upcoming project ;)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
the fuse for that circuit is 15amps

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
lol-way to answer the original question

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
[quote author=ak47clown link=topic=70431.msg1237280#msg1237280 date=1172617615]
[/quote]

ok my bad i am the worst persone when it commes to electric systems...sry for my bad answer

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
[quote author=hate_romania link=topic=70431.msg1248170#msg1248170 date=1173044816]
[quote author=ak47clown link=topic=70431.msg1237280#msg1237280 date=1172617615]
[/quote]

ok my bad i am the worst persone when it commes to electric systems...sry for my bad answer
[/quote]

I dont think he was mocking you - he was giving you :goodjob: for answering the original quesion without creating more questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts