Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a quote from a dealer in Philadelphia area, and would like to ask your opinions.

It's for mazda 3 hatchback
auto, moonroof package, ABS package....

The price is $19027+tags and tax which will make the out the door price around $20319.
How does this sound to you?
Another question about the APR. If i purchase this car in July what would be the APR?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, here is another offer from another dealer.
$18776 + tax+ title.
This sounds better but the problem is this dealer doesn't have the car. They are planning to get from the other dealership.
What should i do?
And one more question.. How fast are the mazda 3 hb's are going? The dealership has 5 of the cars that I am looking for.For how long do you think they will stay there?

·
Registered
257 Posts
gokalps said:
Another question about the APR. If i purchase this car in July what would be the APR?
Thanks in advance
The APR depends on your credit score and market conditions. You can get your credit score from Equifax or Experian (I forget the third company's name).

As for your price, I paid $17,780 for a hatch with abs and auto. Moonroof probably adds another 500 - 600. I think you should try and get a price that is lower than invoice. See www.carbuyingtips.com to figure out what a good deal is and how to get it.

And one more question.. How fast are the mazda 3 hb's are going? The dealership has 5 of the cars that I am looking for.For how long do you think they will stay there?
According to www.kbb.com there is adequate supply to meet demand, and aggressive pricign should be available in most areas.

·
Registered
492 Posts
KBB doesn't know what it's talking about. Up here in the Northeast the things are going like hotcakes with diamonds in them; my dealer can't keep them on the lot. They go as fast as they come in, if not faster. There's a dealer in Danbury who's got a bunch of them, but they're holding out for MSRP (and getting it sometimes).

MSRP is still unreasonable, but expect to have to pay about $500 over invoice, give or take. That seems to be the going rate. You might do a little better, you might do a little worse.

BTW, Moonroof/6-CD adds about $800 to the price.

Is PA a "green" state like NY? You may have to pay an extra couple hundred for Cali Emissions if it is (or the car you're looking at may just have them, but PLEASE save that for those of us who aren' allowed to buy one without it! ;) )

Terp03 said:
As for your price, I paid $17,780 for a hatch with abs and auto. Moonroof probably adds another 500 - 600. I think you should try and get a price that is lower than invoice. See www.carbuyingtips.com to figure out what a good deal is and how to get it.

According to www.kbb.com there is adequate supply to meet demand, and aggressive pricign should be available in most areas.

·
Registered
257 Posts
npaladin2000 said:
KBB doesn't know what it's talking about. Up here in the Northeast the things are going like hotcakes with diamonds in them; my dealer can't keep them on the lot. They go as fast as they come in, if not faster. There's a dealer in Danbury who's got a bunch of them, but they're holding out for MSRP (and getting it sometimes).
How do you know this? If this is based on some inside knowledge, its interesting to know. However, if this is what a dealer told you, I would be skeptical. Also, availability in your area might differ greatly from dealers that are in the Tri-state area. If what you said is true, why not just travel an hour or two and save $500 - $1000 ?

When I went looking in the DC Metro area a month ago, dealers had plenty on the lot. I think thats an easy way to assess the supply and demand at a particular place.

MSRP is still unreasonable, but expect to have to pay about $500 over invoice, give or take. That seems to be the going rate. You might do a little better, you might do a little worse.
I disagree. $500 over invoice is unreasonable too.

BTW, Moonroof/6-CD adds about $800 to the price.
I was guessing off the top of my head, which is why I said "probably". I wasn't too far off.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Terp03 said:
How do you know this? If this is based on some inside knowledge, its interesting to know. However, if this is what a dealer told you, I would be skeptical. Also, availability in your area might differ greatly from dealers that are in the Tri-state area. If what you said is true, why not just travel an hour or two and save $500 - $1000 ?
I did travel an hour...there's 2 Mazda dealers 1 hour away from me; they're the closest. And I didn't get it from a dealer, though I OBSERVED my dealer not being able to keep the things in stock.

And it's not based on inside knowledge...it's based on observing and learning what people paid on this and a couple of other message boards. I also learned that the wait time for a custom-ordered Mazda3 is 6 months right now, because they're having trouble keeping up with the demand for the car.

Admittedly, I live in a so-called "green" state which tilts things a bit, since someone who lives in a "green" state is only allowed to buy a car ith the California emissions package, and Mazda only builds a limited number of those. But still, the cars sell REAL easily.

The fact is, this is a brand new model, it's popular, and it's only being built in one factory. Expecting to get below invoice is unreasonable; dealers know someone else will roll up and pay more.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did travel an hour...there's 2 Mazda dealers 1 hour away from me; they're the closest. And I didn't get it from a dealer, though I OBSERVED my dealer not being able to keep the things in stock.

And it's not based on inside knowledge...it's based on observing and learning what people paid on this and a couple of other message boards. I also learned that the wait time for a custom-ordered Mazda3 is 6 months right now, because they're having trouble keeping up with the demand for the car.
What you OBSERVED applies to the dealers you went to, not the ENTIRE NORTHEAST. You do not live in a densly populated area (compared to a major metropolitan area). Its reasonable to expect dealers in such places to carry stock in proportion to the population.

Of course the wait time for a custom order will take a while. Also, if you custom order, its harder to get a good deal. Dealers want to move the inventory they already have.

Admittedly, I live in a so-called "green" state which tilts things a bit, since someone who lives in a "green" state is only allowed to buy a car ith the California emissions package, and Mazda only builds a limited number of those. But still, the cars sell REAL easily.
I don't know about this law, but according to www.edmunds.com, invoice and msrp for emissions equipment is $0. I assumed all 3's met California emissions.

The fact is, this is a brand new model, it's popular, and it's only being built in one factory. Expecting to get below invoice is unreasonable; dealers know someone else will roll up and pay more.
I was quoted $17,800 (below invoice) by www.carsdirect.com for my vehicle. I would've had to pick it up in Long Island or New Jersey. So how do you explain this?
In case you don't know, carsdirect acts as a middleman. They pay for your car, you pay them and pick it up at the dealer. I would've gone with them, but I got a slightly better deal locally.

The fact is, buying a car is just the same as buying anything at a store. Its reasonable to give the seller a fair amount of profit. Dealers still make profit at, and below, invoice. Dealers do not make a lot of profit from the sale of a vehicle!!! I don't think MSRP gives a dealer more than 10% (im assuming this, didn't do the actual calculation). Compare that to the profit made in the finance and service departments. Items sold there are marked up %300 and way beyond. Dealers know this, and that is why they are willing to sell cars at invoice and below. They still make a small profit on the car, and they have the opportunity to get you into the other, more profitable parts of the business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.