Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea on how the 3 sport is doing in the US?

For what ever reason our American brothers/sisters don't like hatchbacks, unless this has changed in the last couple of years. Something I have never really understood.

If there is a car to chage there mind its this one.

I love this car.

Black Grass

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have yet to see any Mazda 3 on the road around here. I expect to see the hatchback even less. I don't know why it is that we don't like the hatches. I myself am opting for the sedan. I like the hatch but I can't see myself driving it. Perhaps too many people associate a 4 door hatchback with being a station wagon. It the car was a 3 door maybe it would see more popularity in the US.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I really don't know. I think here in the States we just have image issues. We have to buy big SUVs and crap like that in order to A.) Feel good about ourselves or B.) Show off and feel good because what we have is bigger/better than what our neighbor has.

And many guys have serious issues about driving sport wagons. Too bad the Volvo V70R could own "macho" Mustangs and Transmarobirds all day long...

I like the HB, especially in white. It makes the 3 look larger and more substantial, more imposing. It's not just some little hatchback that's easily ignored.

Myself, I have two weeks until Sping Break, which is when I will be ordering my car. It's really going to my only chance until school ends in May, but it would be too late to order by then since I want the car this summer.

I'm ripping my hair out trying to decide which body style/color/trim/options I want. I guess the 3 is a double-edged sword. All of the combos I come up with are so good, I can't choose. I guess that's the hallmark of a great car. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How bout the Vibe/Matrix? It is insanely popular in Canada. Does it suffer from the same image problem? I find so wierd cause there is so much utility in hatchbacks. I guess thats why they get SUVs.

Fuel effiency seems to be a none issue in the US thats why the large SUV are sold more. Nissan launch the x-trail in canada only a small SUV like the RAV4 or CRV. Which I gather from my cousins in the US are "chick cars".

I see the 3 sport as going to be really big in the "ricer" scene (I'm asian so no one get offended). It will be interesting ifit will be the same in the US.

Black Grass

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would have bought the hatchback if it wasn't for the weird looking nose. The hood has curves in it that make it look (IMO) "less cool" and more economy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mnemonicj said:
I would have bought the hatchback if it wasn't for the weird looking nose. The hood has curves in it that make it look (IMO) "less cool" and more economy.
Interesting cause i luv the nose. Its one of the things that caught my I.

Bkack Grass

·
Registered
744 Posts
Black Grass said:
mnemonicj said:
Interesting cause i luv the nose. Its one of the things that caught my I.

Bkack Grass
I think it makes the car look smaller than it is, like they tried to shove a 4-cylinder engine in such a small car and they had to put the big hump in the hood so the 4-cylinder would fit in this Micro car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, there is definately a negative connotation associated with wagons here in the US. Minivans are getting the same treatment, although they simply can't be beat if you have kids I guess.

Personally, I like the functionality of the hatchback, but I just don't like the way it looks (I don't care for the styling of the Matrix either). That is just MHO of course. I have never been a fan of the 4-door Hatch (aka SW). I do like 2 door hatches though....

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well, Mazda expect to sell enough Hatchbacks to account for a third of Mazda3 sales. That's a significant chunk. I think the concept of a sport-wagon is coming back as a good alternative to SUVs.

So far I've seen one Mazda3 sedan and two hatchbacks on the road.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I see alot of the matrix and the focus in the hatch...alot of people i know like the hatch...have yet to see a 3 on the road though..personally i have a station wagon now and i want to go back to having a seperate trunk.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I see the Matrix/Vibe all the time in Chicago, and like someone earlier said it is a 'chick' car in the states. I have yet to see a HB 3 here, and have only seen 1 sedan.

The HB was the first thing that attracted me to the 3. I initally was looking at the Matrix, but didn't know if I could live with the styling. The Matrix IS more functional than the 3, but the three is a heck of a lot cooler looking and more fun to drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
neoriffic said:
The Matrix IS more functional than the 3, but the three is a heck of a lot cooler looking and more fun to drive.
That was my problem to in making a decision between them too. The Matrix had 1500L of space (sorry don't know in cubic ft) to the 3's 900L. But the 3 kick the the Matrix/Vibe everywhere else.

I still see a ton of Minivans in canada. In my home town Windsor, Ont. I swear you go to some subdivisions and EVERY driveway has a minivan. This could also be because the Caravan, Town & Countryand Pacifica (sorry folks its a mini van) are made there. In highschool I had friends who actually bought mini vans out of choice. They were mobile parties!

I think the SUV as being "cool" alternative to Minivans is coming to an end soon. When I see SUV i think "soccer mom". My mom drives a Saturn VUE and she is 71 years old. Ha!

Black Grass

·
Registered
882 Posts
Keeping in mind Black that some of the additional "volume" is attributed to the Matrix/Vibe's taller height. I don't want to get into another fight with anyone about the vehicles "stature" however not all of that additional height volume is usuable if you know what I mean. Sure taller boxes could go in (by about 3") but volume is measured all the way forward so not all of that 1300 is truly there if you know where I coming from.

Buy whichever makes you happy though I would say unless you plan on using it as a package delivery vehicle ;) the 3 is the better way to go. Not to say the 3 doesnt' carry a wack of stuff, I've packed some big things into my 3 and previous Protege 5.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you want utility and efficiency you get an Element. Blech.

I have seen one hatchback and one sedan. Mazda seems to live in the shadows right now. All the talk is about other manufacturers. Which is fine by me, though I hope enough are sold to support a healthy aftermarket.

Unfortunately there is a real issue of insecurity in the U.S. I don't see SUVs going away except in name. They seem to be morphing into tall wagons with AWD. I hear all the excuses: I can see better, it's better in bad weather, I can fit my stuff in the back, it's bigger so it's safer. Whatever.

I really like the looks of my hatch, maybe that's why I own one. :roll:

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 3s Hatch has got a ton of space. If you need more than that, get a pickup truck - seriously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Silver said:
1)If you want utility and efficiency you get an Element. Blech.

2) Unfortunately there is a real issue of insecurity in the U.S. :roll:
1) I really like the element was considering getting one. But I'm glad I went with the 3.

2) Any of you US guys who have HB get needled for having a "chick" car.

Black Grass

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went for the 5-door

I needed the 5-door for my drumset. I got tired of loading my bass drum into the back seat of my old corolla. Plus, it's got more style than the 4-door IMO. Haven't been accused of having a "chick car"...yet. :wink:

·
Registered
526 Posts
IMO the Element could be the ugliest car in the states. Seriously, look at that thing. The lego commercial is no joke!

As for a chick car, I really think the matrix is more of a chick car than the 3, but whatever. Americans (not me) have this obsession w/ 4000 lb cars that get 17 MPG for some reason. I don't get it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts