Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good are the factory HIDs, are they as good as the ones on the luxury cars, I mean the Mazda 3 has projector. So I'm sure it should be close to that of the BMW, Audi, etc. Also, are the lights about the same quality as Lexus IS300, because I compare the Mazda3s with all the options to the Lexus IS300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
How good are the factory HIDs, are they as good as the ones on the luxury cars, I mean the Mazda 3 has projector. So I'm sure it should be close to that of the BMW, Audi, etc. Also, are the lights about the same quality as Lexus IS300, because I compare the Mazda3s with all the options to the Lexus IS300
Hey VraiDiouf,

I don't think its a matter of which one is better, but how they are formed. For instance, I think the Lexus IS300 HIDs have a further projection of light because the aiming seems to extend further than the Mazda3, which seems to aim more downward. Nonetheless, the HIDs on the Mazda3 are great and surpasses regular halogens.

Also, I don't think the Mazda3's HIDs are not as blue/purplish compared to the higher end vehicles. However, if the HIDs on the Mazda3 were aim a little higher, that could create a more desired blue/purplish look because the beam would be more at eye level to pick up that hue.

Overall, I'm very happy with my HIDs and could never go back to halogen bulbs again. With HIDs I get a brighter frontal view, as well as peripheral.

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh ok, are you HID low beams better than ur former halogen highbeams? I believe most are. Also, is there a way to reaim the lights with like a leveling device, or are they ok the way they are? I know they see wider than halogens, but do they also see further?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
Ahh ok, are you HID low beams better than ur former halogen highbeams? I believe most are. Also, is there a way to reaim the lights with like a leveling device, or are they ok the way they are? I know they see wider than halogens, but do they also see further?
First of all, I believe you are referring to the "highbeams" vs. the "low beams"? I know in other countries the terms are a little different. I will make reference to the NA terms.

Low Beams = Normal Driving Lights
High Beams = Bright Lights (get the hell out of my way lights :twisted: )

The only way to level the HIDs on the Mazda3 is by adjusting the level switch on the left side of the steering wheel next to the dimming switch. The HIDs are better than my previous highbeam halogens, but the only difference is that HIDs are not meant to project higher than what is considered safe and non-blinding to other drivers, where as highbeams are meant to project a further ray of light. Highbeam halogens don't emit a direct beam, so the ray of light is scattered therefore causing a blinding effect towards other drivers. That's why highbeams are used for temporary use for more visible light or for emergency signaling.

HIDs do cast a "wider" beam of light to the sides of the vehicle, but on the Mazda3 it seems that the outermost beam is projected further than what's in front. The front beam is about the same as my previous halogens, but with a more direct cut-off, where as the halogens seem to fade off into the dark. Most people who have HIDs are pretty use to it, but for those that don't...the HIDs cause more of a strain on the eyes because of the complete darkness beyond the cut-off point. Some may say that it could be dangerous on hilly roads.

For the record, I've never had HIDs before until now. I absolutely love them and have adapted to the direct cut-off beam patterns...so it doesn't bother me at all. Having HIDs on the Mazda3 makes me feel like I have a Lexus or Audi (more expensive cars), but on a more affordable vehicle of choice.

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you overkast for all the information!!!! I really love that thank you a thousand times!!!! I now understand fully now. You see my parents both have HID, but I've never been in the car with them at night. My dad has a Mercedes ML55 AMG, and my mom has an Audi A8, but I've only driven an '87 Mercury Sable and 2003 Camry. Lol the 2003 Camry had great lights comparing to the Sable, so I bet the Mazda3 must have spectacular lights. I'm sure I'll enjoy them to when I put money down on one late this year or early next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
Thank you overkast for all the information!!!! I really love that thank you a thousand times!!!! I now understand fully now. You see my parents both have HID, but I've never been in the car with them at night. My dad has a Mercedes ML55 AMG, and my mom has an Audi A8, but I've only driven an '87 Mercury Sable and 2003 Camry. Lol the 2003 Camry had great lights comparing to the Sable, so I bet the Mazda3 must have spectacular lights. I'm sure I'll enjoy them to when I put money down on one late this year or early next year.
Keep in mind that most newer vehicles built today can use a higher quality halogen bulb that can emit a pretty bright light (not those blue tint bulbs). The 2003 Camry may have it on that year. Also, the clear lense headlamp delivers a better light than the ones that are "grooved" or "frosted" headlamps. Most of the new cars now have the "clear lense" headlight. I believe there are some american built vehicles that are still using the "grooved" headlamps...yuck!

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah, I think the 2003 Camry does, the headlights are incredible. By the way, is there a certain level that you have adjusted to on your Mazda3 that is best for ur vision?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
the hids on the 3 for its class are freakin unbelieveable....i would like to compare them to my dads E500...but maybe thats saying too much ;) hehee...but they are great...i cant handle regular halogens anymore...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
Yah, I think the 2003 Camry does, the headlights are incredible. By the way, is there a certain level that you have adjusted to on your Mazda3 that is best for ur vision?
Well, the aiming or leveling switch on the Mazda 3 is intended for adjustment due to varying weight levels. It's relevant to if you're driving by yourself, carrying passengers, objects in the trunk, that you would adjust the beams to accomodate your ability to see without blinding oncoming traffic. I believe there's a thread out there that details it better. But for the most when I'm by myself the level setting I have is "0" (furthest aim), "1" with a passenger, "2" with passengers and objects in the trunk. I hardly ever use level "3" (shortest aim) unless when I'm driving in snowing conditions. It's hard to drive using level "0" because it's almost like having your highbeams on (too much refraction from the snow), but putting it on level "3" helps to aim lower and aid with the fog lights in falling snow.

funkyfreshmonke is right...the HIDs on the Mazda 3 is very nice.

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh that's good, I'm content to hear that :). I'm looking forward to getting my own Mazda3 then. Once again thanks Overkast, and thanks as well funkyfreshmonke, I believe HIDs are rather important, I mean they weren't so when I lived in Ohio and Kentucky, but now that i live in California in the San Francisco Bay area, they are all over the place. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
Ahh that's good, I'm content to hear that :). I'm looking forward to getting my own Mazda3 then. Once again thanks Overkast, and thanks as well funkyfreshmonke, I believe HIDs are rather important, I mean they weren't so when I lived in Ohio and Kentucky, but now that i live in California in the San Francisco Bay area, they are all over the place. Thank you!
Hey VraiDiouf,

I think they're very nice to have...but in regions that have less city lights. I've been to San Francisco many times and that city is just well lit to really notice the HIDs. I live in Reno, NV (about 3hrs. away) and its just not well lit here at all. Nonetheless, I think it would be more of a cosmetic enhancement than functional. But those Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi drivers will do a double-take when they see it on the Mazda 3 :D .

Welcome the new kid on the block...Mazda 3!

Spencer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They sure will my friend :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top