Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yes, I know none of us have driven an MS6, but judging by it's specs and what's been said about it, what do you think? Personally, I think Mazda skimped a bit on the AWD system; it can only send power front->back, not side->side. I also feel Mazda made a mistake using the 2.3l 4 instead of the 3.0l 6. No need for any more power, but that same 2.3 exists in 160hp [albeit, NA] form in base 6's and high end 3's. This means a lot of tweaking has been done, and probably not leaving much room for the aftermarket, although surely some stuff will be out for it.

Oh, and the wheels are too damned ugly ;)

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yeah, the wheels are fugly. They kinda look cool in motion, but at a standstill they're just fugly.

Let's see, what else - the 2tone leather isf ugly, but that's not a requirement. The ricer taillights... at least on silver, are fugly. They might be ok on grey.

But yeah my main issues are the technical ones - the so-so AWD system that still adds weight like no tomorrow, the way uprated 2.3L engine...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw one in person the other day. did not have that imola style wheel but more of a snowflake/spoke design. Have to disagree on the the skimping tho, the 2.3l is direct gas injection and trounces the 3.0. The only other car close to this class with Direct Injection is the VW 2.0l in the New Passat and GLi. If you are not familiar with tuning a turbo motor you would not know that the biggest problem with them is the lag. this is caused generally by a motor running at low compression. get the compression too high on a forced induction motor and you risk detonation.(meltdown) the direct gas helps to cool the combustion chamber which means you can get that compression a bit higher. not only that but most factory turbo'd motors can usually tolerate a bit more boost. easy to do with a $50 part. so, if its running 275hp at 16psi.. just going to 18 could boost hp by as much as 30%. do that math!
But, With the kind of power the mazda motor is capable of you need a stout AWD system. since its an AWD system, torque steer is a non-issue which is a problem with most FWD cars running high HP. Not sure whether the system needs to be fully proportional so much as it should have a proper torque locking differential. as soon as its practical for me to do so, i want to get my hands on one of those things! unless of course the MPS3 comes out with the same motor and AWD. That car could be an STi stomper! and FAR better looking. (hope it doesnt get some god-awful wing or hood scoop)
I think the MS6 has loads of potential. anyway, im quite surprised with the specs of the MPS6 and hope to test drive one for a better evaluation.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
There's no technical reason they couldn't direct inject the 3.0L... the 2.3 is not an engine designed any differently, really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
true but that alone wont get it to 300hp. besides, forced induction is just plain fun. however, a twin-turbo, DI 3.0 would be a nice motor. I wonder how it would stand up to 400hp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my Grand Touring MS6 from the dealer yesterday.  I've got the first one that the dealership sold, so for now I am the only one in the area.  I am not into all the technical aspects of the engine, etc.  So I can give you a review of the car from the layperson's viewpoint.  And here's the bottom line.  It feels great! 

The power is everything it was hyped to be.  Turbo lag?  What turbo lag?  On the way home I passed a guy going up a hill while in fifth gear.  At the top of the hill I was going 80.  The car sighed with boredom.

I think Mazda went just far enough with the hood design, body skirts, and rear spoiler.  It's aggressive looking, but sophisticated.  It's somewhat "racer" but normal people won't point and laugh at me on the highway.  The car looks like it could kick your ass, but has enough confidence that it doesn't have to boast about it.  You just know that it could do it.  I turned a lot of heads on the way home, both from people passing me and those coming toward me.

I don't know about the AWD and traction stability control systems.  But since there's a fresh coat of snow this morning I'll find out today and also on my drive in to work tomorrow.  Which brings me to my only complaint: summer radials! WT? :x  I had to put less money down so that I can now go out and buy some winter tires and wheels.  I know I'd be kidding myself if I think the AWD and traction stability systems will enable me to drive on summer radials all year round.  So I guess taking it out today on these tires will be a real test!

The leather interior is classy.  The quality is what you'd expect for the price, which was around $30K, by the way.  I love the brushed aluminum pedals, the telescoping and tilting steering wheel, the heated seats, and the look of the dash.

As for the gear box, it's very good.  Tight and efficient.  Putting it in the correct gear is intuitive and I can shift with confidence.  I've driven some cars where I had to visually check before shifting.  Not this one.  It just seems to go to the right position. 

Don't even get me going on the remote keyless entry/advanced start system.  I love that I don't need a key.  Just my flat, rectangular pass key.  The car knows when this pass key is near it and will only let the person in possession of if unlock the doors manually.  I can open the trunk simply by walking up to the car.  I could always use the remote lock/unlock button as well.  Once in, I can keep the pass key in my back pack or whatever and start the car by turning the keyless ignition.  I literally never have to take the key out.  I just walk up to my car, get in and drive off.  And here's the best part:  it won't let me lock myself out of the car!  It can tell whether the key is on the inside or outside the car.  If it's inside, I can't lock it. 

And anyone who got the car in one of the several variations of gray/silver, you're missing out.  Why would you get a car like this only to have it the same color as 70% of the cars out there?  This car was made for Velocity Red Mica!  The paint is stunning.  Even in the lights of the dealership on Friday night I was held entranced.  Yesterday when I brought it home it was sunny and the car was positively luminescent.

So there you have it.  Here are some pics:

And some closeups of the paint: 
(click for larger image)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Hey K! Welcome to the forums... the addiction begins now! ;-) Thanks for sharing the review with everyone - as well as the pics again... I'm biased to the 3Forums, so I post in there a lot more. I can't wait to see the car.... and you too I guess... next week! ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, so in my last post I said that I am disappointed that the car comes with summer radials. Well, I did a real test drive this morning.
Our roads haven't been plowed and are a combination of ice, slush, and snow. I took it from our house to a nice empty industrial park that had also not been plowed. By real, I mean that I tromped on it when starting out, accelerated around a curve, slammed on the brakes on an icy surface at 25 - 30 miles an hour, and turned the wheel hard while braking hard. (Of course, the last two were done in an empty industrial park.) Let me tell you, it realllly surprised me. It didn't slide, wouldn't spin out, and came to a stop without deviating from a straight line. If it started to slip, the stability control system kicked in. It gave a beep and a light came on in the instrument panel. It allowed me to keep accelerating, but let me know that it was essentially controlling the car. It's better than my previous car was, and I was pretty comfortable with how that handled in the snow. So I feel pretty confident about tomorrow morning's commute.

This car has luxury sport sedan features AND AWD. That's why I bought this car. I'm still going to get a set of winter tires, but I don't have to worry about driving my baby meanwhile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote author=zobx link=topic=23754.msg498463#msg498463 date=1133707312]
Hey K! Welcome to the forums... the addiction begins now! ;-) Thanks for sharing the review with everyone - as well as the pics again... I'm biased to the 3Forums, so I post in there a lot more. I can't wait to see the car.... and you too I guess... next week! ;-)
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome, Jim! It's a little lonely in this forum right now. I hope other MS6 owners will soon join.
When you're here next weekend you'll see that the driveway hierarchy has changed. :lol: You can still have a spot, though.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I did notice the placements in the driveway have changed!! :lol: Glad there's still room for me because I sure as hell will not be parking in the street!! Now we'll have a nice line of Mazdas (okay, two Mazdas) when I come visit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am considering trading in my 2002 TurboS beetle on something new - I went to Mazda to test out the RX-8, but also drove the Speed6 and was blown away by it. Like my Beetle, it has a 6 speed and a great turbocharged motor so it was much easier to take around the block than the RX-8.

It handled great for a sedan, too. I am seriously considering buying one, can I ask you guys your experiences in terms of haggling/dealing when purchasing these cars?

Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owe a Speed6 and it handles incredible and as for speed it has enough for me and i also own a '87 monte carlo ss with a race tranny.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I bought mine put on snow tires and took it directly to Minnesota. It handles great on any road surface without making your passengers nervous, then you can switch off the traction control and play WRC driver all day long. Gearing is excellent and the motor is terrific. Takes a bit of time getting used to the sport clutch and all wheel drive combo, but once that happens it all seems perfect. GREAT car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts