Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I drove my brother-in-law's manual integra (I used to own one but it was automatic). My first car was manual but the two subsequent ones have been automatic, including my 07 mazda 3. But while I drove the integra, I couldn't help but wonder how it feels on the 3. How does it feel everyone? When my 3's engine finally craps out I'll swap to manual when swapping the engine so I'll find out eventually but I was curious!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I figured it's easier to find an engine and transmission already mated together out in the wild.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It's not just the engine and transmission, it's the PCM, TCM, BCM, and all of the other related subsystems that make it a nightmare.

Like I said, yes, it can be done. Buy why go through that massive headache when you don't have to?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I see. Well thanks for the heads up before I did anything. Guess I'll just have to buy a speed3! Haha.

But how does driving manual feel with an electronic throttle? Sadly it'll be a while before I can buy another car to find out.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was driving my 3 (which had the 5 speed) for like 5 years before I found out it has throttle by wire! So, no difference whatsoever.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping this was true. I think Mazda really nailed that throttle cable feeling and response with their drive by wire. Toyota needs some catching up to do

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've not had experience with any manual Mazda3, but my manual trans Protege had a throttle cable. My manual Fiesta has an electronically controlled throttle body. Other than the power/weight difference, there is no noticeable "feel" between the two when it came to throttle response and acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts