Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my friend just picked up a Mazda Mx-3 and he had a disconnected exhaust system at first and then recently just installed a high flo cat.

Well driving around in his car, the sounds were loud and jolting and near deafening, but I fell in love. I loved the cracks and burbles of the engine on shifts and the low growl it gave, and now i want this on my Mazda3!

So I've been searching around this forum... alot of people are doing straight pipes because they are cheap / offer the best performance, but I'd like to stay emissions legal so I don't have to worry about swapping out parts when I need to get the car inspected each year.

I'm not all that concerned about power as long as i don't lose any. What's the easiest/cheapest one piece replacement to get a deeper growl and better sound at higher RPM and stay emissions legal? I might do an entire exhaust system replacement in the future and get a Borla or something, but I problably wont have that kind of cash for another year or so.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You probably won't get that same exact sound while remaining emissions-legal, but start off by replacing your resonators with straight pipes and using a straight-through (magnaflow for example) muffler in place of the stock one. That should still be a perfectly legal setup, and a lot louder + harsher sounding.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, would a magnaflow muffler be a snap in piece held on by clamps, or would I need to get a shop to install it?

Also, is it hard to take out the stock muffler?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I believe that you can just sawzall the old one off and slip the new one on with exhaust clamps, should be fine. But I can't say that from experience, I had a shop install my exhaust.

·
Registered
453 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=137512.msg2965481#msg2965481 date=1235759457]
put a lion in the back
[/quote]

jajajajaja. good one. get a flowmaster 40 series. that'll do the trick. u dnt necessarily have to go catless that way you will stay "legal" for emissions. get 2.5 piping after the resonator all the way back to a flowmaster 40 series and remove ur resonator and stock muffler(s) depending whether u have a PZEV or not.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You can also remove the intake resonator and replace it with 3" or 4" ABS pipe. This is a cheap mod which will add a little extra noise and won't mess with anything emissions related.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=balding geezer link=topic=137512.msg2965957#msg2965957 date=1235772253]
You can also remove the intake resonator and replace it with 3" or 4" ABS pipe. This is a cheap mod which will add a little extra noise and won't mess with anything emissions related.
[/quote] might as well just get a cold air intake...cause taking off that resonator is A LOT of work!

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=137512.msg2965481#msg2965481 date=1235759457]
put a lion in the back
[/quote]

LOL!

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=bnwsting97 link=topic=137512.msg2966081#msg2966081 date=1235775844]
[quote author=balding geezer link=topic=137512.msg2965957#msg2965957 date=1235772253]
[/quote] might as well just get a cold air intake...cause taking off that resonator is A LOT of work!
[/quote]

You need to take it off either way, but with a CAI you spend $100-200 and with his way you spend $1-2... not that i'm recommending it, that's just not sensible logic.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Removing the intake resonator is a bit stealthier than a CAI, which may be helpful for the visual inspection part of emissions tests. Cheapness is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm gonna pick up a Cosmo racing SRI this summer, that should help with the note i think. I'm wicked excited to hear it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=slyons89 link=topic=137512.msg2967076#msg2967076 date=1235838209]
I think I'm gonna pick up a Cosmo racing SRI this summer, that should help with the note i think. I'm wicked excited to hear it.
[/quote]

now you're talking kid!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts