Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was at a light on a michigan U-turn and when the light turned green I gave it some gas (to 2k) then let out the clutch somewhat quicker than normal, but not too fast. I experienced Wheelhop and a lil tire spin (Im guessing I had no traction on ice, then hopped when i bit the pavement). I have done wheelhop once before after a bought the car; I have changed my MM since. The wheelhop just sounds so painful lol, if you'd say. I just want to know how bad can my car get hurt? lol

I am just a little paranoid about breaking things lol. :shock:

I just need some reassurance.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
a little bit once in a while wont destroy anything but its certainly not a good thing for your car. definitely gonna at the minimum rattle some shit loose eventually, but the really bad thing about it is the wear on the drivetrain, that on/off traction sends a shock through your transmission and it is definitely not good for it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice budgy!

.... i have the 2nd Gen CP-E motormount.

the only reason I had wheelhop was because I had loose traction on ice then hit pavement.

still hurt tho lol

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
wheelhop every once in a while is a fact of life with FWD when you have bad traction, but you should definitely not "learn to live with it", because if you think about what's actually happening, you wheels are spinning freely in the air for a bit and then slowing down really quickly when it smacks back into the ground. that's a LOT of momentary torque put down onto your drivetrain, and that will definitely damage it over time. you shouldn't panic if you get some wheelhop on bad roads, but you should also try to avoid it, since it's not good to see it all the time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If it feels like something is going to break, is probably IS! Sacrilicious is right, the spiking if the torque loads is what is going to do the damage. When things are jumping around so hard the exhaust is banging on the bottom of the car the axles, half shafts, transmission, dual mass flywheel, and motor mounts are all getting the crap beat out of them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=Byron link=topic=135003.msg2917702#msg2917702 date=1233945518]
If it feels like something is going to break, is probably IS! Sacrilicious is right, the spiking if the torque loads is what is going to do the damage. When things are jumping around so hard the exhaust is banging on the bottom of the car the axles, half shafts, transmission, dual mass flywheel, and motor mounts are all getting the crap beat out of them.
[/quote]

lol doesnt sound like a good time to be a MS3 :shock:

·
Registered
452 Posts
There IS an easy fix, when the "HOP" happens. Take your foot off the throttle. :pokey: :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I try to anticipate it now. Constant ice no big deal. But if going from ice to pavement I take my foot off the gas for a second. And for some reason the manhole covers around here are smooth so if I see one of them at an intersection I let off the gas too. Many times I have watched the rpm jump up and then back down quick as the wheels loose traction and then hit the pavement.

·
Registered
452 Posts
World's first traction control system, totaly ORGANIC. Just remember there is a direct connection between the throttle pedal, your foot, and your wallet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol yea I did get off the gas when it happened. it was like a split second spin while turning on a U-turn then I hit traction. I would have prevented it if I anticipated it, but I was looking down the road for oncoming traffic. I have been really good with avoiding wheel-hop. Oh well I have owned the car since july 08 and that was only my second time at the most. Shit happens lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
As long as you can still count things like that. I can still count how many times I have grinded gears(none in the new car, 8 in the old one) and how many times I have hit the curb with a rim(none in the new car and once in the old). Too bad my ex girlfriend cant say the same. thats why the old car is the old car...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats a good point. I think once you can no longer count your mistakes on two hands thats a bad sign lol. stuff happens, we're not machines.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Avoid it at all possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts