Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep finding scratches all over my car through the dirt, I haven't washed it in about 2-3 months and it sucks!! But its like I walk past my car every day and I look at how dirty it is and I notice something weird through the dirt so I wet my finger and feel it, and what do you know another scratch!!! UGH!! MAZDA PAINT SUCKS MORE THAN ANYTHING!!! I mean I had a 10 year old jeep that the paint on it was like new, and I would dive that think wherever through bushes and whatnot and I never had a scratch or anything in the paint that couldnt be taken care of.. But with this little Mazda its like anything will put a mark in the paint....

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
WORD.

i'm dreading my first good spring detail. i nearly cried last year :wtc:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with the paint. My car has been through a hand wash at least once every 2 weeks for about a year and a half. (I will never go to a machine wash, pressure wash, or have somebody else wash my car)

There are minor swirls beginning to be seen, but still not enough for me to do a complete detail on my car. By complete detail, I'm talking D.A. polishing with medium compound, then going to a finer compound, and finishing with Zaino.

If your car gets very dirty. It's absolutely crucial you use a LOT of water to rinse the car of as much dirt as possible before you apply any kind of brush or mitt to the car for aggitation.

Otherwise, you are essentially rubbing dirt onto the car "making" swirls.

If your car gets too many "rock" and kick up debris scratches, then you'll have to stop tailgating trucks, etc. heh

Just remember, that if our car's paint had a harder coating on it, then it would be more prone to chipping than it already is now... Put on a softer coating of paint, and it will swirl easy, but flex enough so as not to chip...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I just washed my car yesterday for the first time in a month, and was upset because there were numerous chips on the bumper, and a few on the hood. I have more chips in a month then the previous 6 months. I think the cold weather makes the paint chip easier. I immediately put on my mask, but will take it off soon because of snow forcast.
The mask helps with chips, but is a pain to use in the winter because I only use it if the car is very clean.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ah, Just wash your car and enjoy it. It WILL get scratched and dinged.... If you drive it, it wont be perfect. I love my 3 and i take as good as care of it as i can. I could care less about swirl marks or minor scratches. There is nothing you can do about it IF you actually use your car. Show cars are one thing BUT cars that we use is another. In 7-8 years my 3 will look VERY good. Perfect NO, But who gives a hoot? People dont have such simple lives that they care if our cars have a few dings. There is more to life that our sub 20k cars!!

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
I have 64K on my car and chips and scratches are all over it, no paint stays pristine forever. Its a car built to drive and in the price range it's in, you get what you pay for in terms of paint quality.

Wash it and be cool, when you are done, you can wash mine lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=superjudge link=topic=67768.msg1168511#msg1168511 date=1169744778]
I have 64K on my car and chips and scratches are all over it, no paint stays pristine forever. Its a car built to drive and in the price range it's in, you get what you pay for in terms of paint quality.

Wash it and be cool, when you are done, you can wash mine lol:

[/quote]
Absolutely!! Amen.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
I got news for ya....if you think the paint looks bad now, don't expect to wash your car and see any less after 50K. I have alot of dents and chips on the hood from rocks, debris etc and even a dent on the roof.

The lower valance is also speckled and the plastic piece under the bumper tp 'prevent' scraping has seen as much action as Paris Hilton as far as looking bent.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
your car is much more likely to get new scratches if you don't wash it.
when your car is covered in dirt and something rubs against it, even something soft and clean, you can get a scratch because the dirt acts as the abrasive. If it was clean, those boobies rubbin against it would be harmless.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I wonder how many scratches "you people" put into the paint when you let dirt build up, hten you just get it wet and start scrubbin, THat is where most of your scratches are comeing from

Use a pressure washer to rinse dirt off before cleaning your car, dont spread dirt grains around while trying to scrub her clean

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
and I wash the mitt between every panel, using the hose from inside the mitt to rinse the dirt out. I never put a dirty mitt into the bucket. I have separate mf towels for the really dirty areas around the bottom and leave those for last. use lots of carwash soap.

my car has never been dirty for more than a week and so far so good.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I pretty much wash my car one to two times per week. My paint is in pretty good shape overall. My only concern is the roof. I almost always have waterspot type marks. I am guessing that I need to use some form of a cleaner wax or a mild compound...

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
JinLBC
You also have WWP, im concerned about these color guys.... i had SS for my 2004 and didnt really have any scratches besides the one a kid did with his bike, i would wait up to a month without cleaning because SS held up pretty go, but pre-rinse is a crucial factor and just stopping at a car wash place and spending the two-bucks to pressure wash the car will save time/money in the future

·
Registered
205 Posts
In Cincinnati it's been 3 weeks since the
temps have been above 20º so hand
washing isn't really an option.
Like they said, you do the best you can
and enjoy your car. Why stress over it?

·
Registered
546 Posts
The paint on mine is pretty good, but I did find a few little dents on the back bumper (looks like it was hit in a parking lot before I bought it) and there's a tiny little crack on the bottom of the front bumper (lip will eventually cover that up). Apparently the car isn't as perfect as I first thought it was, but oh well can't expect a brand new car when buying used :)

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
I guess I'm pretty lucky, last year I got a brand new rear bumper (got rear-ended) AND a new front bumper and hood (thanks to a phone pole). So it's like I was starting over with a brand new car, in terms of the paint, plus I have 3m. I think I'm going to detail my car this weekend since it's going to be close to 60º so I get to see how my paint and 3m held up this winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'm still kinda new to this site and my Mazda 3 is due to be delivered in early April. So let me ask everyone something.... When i first get my 3, i plan on washing it, polish, and wax myself. Will this help a little with the first few scratches?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd wash, claybar it and put some paint sealant on there. Then you should be good for 6 months + only needing to wash it. Sealant basically works like a heavy-duty wax, although if you really desire a deeper shine, you can apply wax on top of the sealant. Unfortunately it won't make a huge difference against scratches, but probably helps a bit. I wouldn't bother polishing it as that's just stripping a very thin layer of clearcoat away, revealing shiny new clearcoat underneath. That's not really necessary on a brand new car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
[quote author=B-STAR link=topic=67768.msg1226779#msg1226779 date=1172243182]

i'm still kinda new to this site and my Mazda 3 is due to be delivered in early April. So let me ask everyone something.... When i first get my 3, i plan on washing it, polish, and wax myself. Will this help a little with the first few scratches?
[/quote]

What color will your new baby be?
Your plan is solid and here are the exact steps I use on new cars clients bring directly from the dealership to me. Sure take the car and show off but they get the car here within a day or two because it looks nasty.
Wash.
Do my plastic bag trick - use a sandwich baggie and gently rub the paint, trim and glass where you will feel tiny bumps like sandpaper and this stuff is what the clar bar will remove.
Clay bar.
Cleaner/wax or Cleaner/polish. Use a mild cleaner/wax or a cleaner/polish to remove any micro marks from claying.
Polish. Use a pure polish only! No need for a coat of polish yet unless you want to really deepen the reflection.
Wax or Sealer. Or both.
What products are you thinking of using? We can help if you wish.

Now for everybody that reads this, here is what I have written for all my clients who are thinking about purchasing a new car.

I have a couple of clients that requested information they can use with the dealer when ordering their new cars so I have been thinking of an easy way to help everybody when you request that they do not wash, prep or clean their new car and here is what I have come up with and I hope this may help you also.

As a general rule when you purchase a new car you have to sign a contract. You can enter items into that contract and have penalties associated with the items. I would add the following.

Dealer to remove the protective exterior plastic wrap and interior protective plastic wrap. At no time is the dealer allowed to wash or dry the car. If dealer washes or dries the car I have the right to refuse the purchase.

This should work every time. Of course with any purchase you must be able to walk away from any deal/contract which is easy for me because this is what I did in my previous corporate life. I have written negotiated and signed contracts. If they want the sale they will bend because the last thing they want is for you to leave and go to another dealer as they have already spent their commission from your sale. It’s a high stakes poker game and most importantly it is your MONEY being spent!

This is a follow up question that Chris had and for and for $700 bucks you can purchase a boat load of supplies and DIY which has more satisfaction plus you will feel by clay baring where you may have rail dust, over spray or any other nasty stuff. Doing this is a fantastic way to inspect every square inch inside and outside of your new arrival plus you start off with a clean platform.

The following is what I sent to Chris concerning his question of should he pay for the $700 dealer paint protection plan being offered on his new 2007 Red Toyota Camry. He turned down their pushy sales pressure for this package because he can have me take care of his new car a number of times before he hits the $700 price point.
Chris does zero work on his cars as he trusts me with them and likes the final products I produce for him.
I do hope this helps you out.
Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts