Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Does anyone know of a CHEAP OBD-II_to_USB converter?
2.) Does anyone have a lead on how to read the signals? I'm looking into making a program that reads boost, knock, egt, intake temp, etc. but I don't know where to begin and I'm not paying the kind of money retailers want for software that has to be super-easy to build once you understand the data.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I just need to find a tutorial or something on developing and what language would be easiest.

The most advanced thing I've worked with was 4 weeks of VB6.

Otherwise it's all been QBASIC (which, personally, would be awesome to play with to run this haha)

But still... I wanna get into data logging, graphing, real-time specs, etc. but I'm spinning wheels right now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
OBD II development is not that hard. Look for an OBD II reader that uses the ELM protocol. Look on ebay for an "ELM327". Basically what the ELM does it translated the vehicles protocol into a "universal" protocol that is text based. Writing a program to read values from the car is as simple as opening a serial port on the correct comm port of the elm device, send it the text protocol, and receive a text response.

^Not the best tutorial but if google elm programming and there is tons of info. Ive done it in C# and VB. Both will be simple if you have some development experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts