Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i've been searching the forums for a little while and i haven't been able to find a solution or someone who might have done this.

I just received my Navone LOC and I want to install my 10" sub into the trunk. I've got everything ready to go, its just doing the job. What i'm wondering is instead of chopping the wire for the rear speakers and tapping into them to power the sub, would it be advisable to share the signal with the sub instead so you still have sound coming out of the rears? I wanna do it like that cuz i dont want to lose the "surround" of the music for those in the back seat and they only get the bass.

Anybody got any suggestions?? I'm sorta new to this stuff, all my gear came from my previous car and i had the aftermarket HU with the RCA outputs which is way easier!

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You definitely don't have to cut off the rears and only send their signals to the sub amp. Use whatever method you feel comfortable to split the rear speaker outputs into a Y so that the signal gets sent both to the speakers and to the new LOC for the sub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would you recommend doing that?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Well, I went the cheap and easy way and just squished some wire taps onto them... but I guarantee plenty of people will come in here and say that's retarded / cheap / not the best quality / might not last. I will admit that it's not the ideal way to do it, but it only takes 2 seconds and i've had my subs running like this for almost 4 years with no problems. I'm just using a cheap $10 no-name LOC, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Thats the route that I was leaning towards but was skeptical because, like you mentioned, might not last. However, if thats the way you have it config'd and its worked for you for that long, it can't be that bad of a way to go.

Another question for ya, I just bought the car, its the 09' 3 Sport GT. Would an install like this ruin the warranty for the vehicle? Probably would i'm guessing.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
It *might* ruin the warranty on the stock radio, but can't affect the warranty on anything not directly related to what you touch for the install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you know what my next question is going to be.... lol

If i were to call the local mazda dealership and ask them, how honest do you think they'd be? I'd like to get something in writing atleast so if something else just happens to break, I dont want them pointing the finger because something that wasn't original was installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts