Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed in recirculation mode.....ZERO sound that i can hear.....didnt feel much different driving....kinda disappointed....maybe some guy from this forum was right....its kinda waste of money to get that??
waiting for the CPE cai....hopefully will make a different in sound and performance.....=(

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It will. I am waiting on a BOV until the stock ones start to malfunction, it they don't then I will spend the money on something else.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont want to run vta only for the sound and decrease the gas mileage and run my car way too rich....i'll wait for my cai and see wassup

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=67886.msg1169442#msg1169442 date=1169773661]
just installed in recirculation mode.....ZERO sound that i can hear.....didnt feel much different driving....kinda disappointed[/quote]
I wouldn't expect any difference because the HKS BOV is performing the same function as the stock valve. Of course it is of higher quality but there are no known issues with the original part.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=Wizno link=topic=67886.msg1169639#msg1169639 date=1169781368]
I've been running my HKS in vta, sounds great :)
[/quote]
That may be true but it will foul the spark plugs and possibly damage the catalytic converter.
For most people, the loss in performance and potential damage isn't worth it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know my car is is not a speed3 but I did the same mod as you a few months back, But even with the stock intake I did hear a tiny bit blow off. So because that didnt sound didnt put a smile on my face I found an adaptor kit and a injen to replace the stock airbox, so it now basically is a short ram. But now with that setup running in recirc the bov is very loud, I know when you think recirc you think still quiet, but that but its not, well i guess that depends on how loud you really want it. The only problem with the hks ssq is when you run it in recirc it eliminates the piece that will make it make that high pitch sound you get when you let off the gas, when ran in recirc it sounds more like a whoosh sound because its blowing back instead of venting, sorry little hard to describe it in writting. When running the ssq vented there are different inserts that you can put in it to change the pitch, but like i said when recirc'd there is no insert, just the adaptor in it to make it recirc. I know im gonna get a different sound than you guys because my car runs almost 21psi but I would think you would have similar bov sound results with a cai.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you guy want you can ask Tru-boost his opinion, he drove in my car with this setup and would agree that recirc'd with the hks ssq and basically a short ram how loud the bov is :lol: I gotta admit though, I really liked the greddy type-s that he put on his speed 3, I love that high pitch sound, but he is vented though, but since the type-s has no inserts and gets that high pitch sound regardless you should still get a high pitch sound even recic'd. I didnt get a chance to hear his car when he was recircing the ttype-s only after when he made it vent.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=67886.msg1169765#msg1169765 date=1169786554]
[quote author=Wizno link=topic=67886.msg1169639#msg1169639 date=1169781368]
I've been running my HKS in vta, sounds great :)
[/quote]
That may be true but it will foul the spark plugs and possibly damage the catalytic converter.
For most people, the loss in performance and potential damage isn't worth it.
[/quote]

The fouling the plugs is not true. The car will only go rich for a spit second and that little amount of time will not foul the plugs. I don't see where there is loss of performance either!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Due to the MAF location, the MS6 at least has been shown to lose a substantial amount of power running VTA. Check out the figures on the BOV VTA dyno vs. the same guy's BOV Recirc dyno to see the effect here:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewforum.php?f=52

171 hp / 197 torque on VTA vs. 196 / 227 recirc (Mustang dynos).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am thinking VTA or not the dyno should be the same unless its leaking. The throttle is closed. Then I am just thinking Drive by wire. This thing will lift throttle at 6k "80%"or anywhere else it want to. Traction control. If it lifts and vents it will cause a stumble. This will increase the time it takes to get back to full power back again. If the car had a throttle cable then it should only vent when you lift, but it dosent. It could potentially vent anytime the ecu lifts throttle. Ecu seems to lift throttle right before full spool up and after 6k. Sounds like to many complications. Personally venting is cool sounding for a while but is not worth the trade off in drivability. Plus you will get annoyed with the sound after about 10000 shifts. :lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
[quote author=redms3gt link=topic=67886.msg1169977#msg1169977 date=1169817947]
.... Personally venting is cool sounding for a while but is not worth the trade off in drivability. Plus you will get annoyed with the sound after about 10000 shifts. :lol:
[/quote]

That's when you add the amusing duck call or a similar device: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0 (courtesy of Bani). That way you can carry on with the amusing clown noises indefinitely!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=SeanMSIII link=topic=67886.msg1169938#msg1169938 date=1169812090]
Due to the MAF location, the MS6 at least has been shown to lose a substantial amount of power running VTA. Check out the figures on the BOV VTA dyno vs. the same guy's BOV Recirc dyno to see the effect here:

[/quote]

As stated I also don't buy the lossing power unless there is a leak somewhere!

·
Registered
402 Posts
[quote author=AzMz3 link=topic=67886.msg1170309#msg1170309 date=1169833284]
[quote author=SeanMSIII link=topic=67886.msg1169938#msg1169938 date=1169812090]

[/quote]

As stated I also don't buy the lossing power unless there is a leak somewhere!
[/quote]

A leak that went away when he took it off VTA? My understanding is that it's largely a question of MAF location on the 6. Maybe the 3 is different.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
How will the ECU react to the overly rich condition every time someone takes their foot off of the accelerator?
Will it adjust the fuel trim or some other parameter (and thus affect performance)?
Is there anyone here that is highly familiar with the ECU firmware?

I didn't think so.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Fact of the matter is, unless you turn up the boost a whole hell of a lot, the factory BOV is fine. It'll leak and cause crap to go wrong if you turn the boost up a ton, or get a larger turbo, due to the fact it can't hold the added pressure. What the final number is, I have no idea. I imagine it to be around 20lbs boost myself, but I could be wrong. So really unless you like the sound or have to let the whole world know you're running forced induction, you don't need it. Save yourself 200$ and go get some racin' shoes or an intake.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=chisss link=topic=67886.msg1170750#msg1170750 date=1169847604]
here is a link from wikipedia about the possibility of messing up the Cat or the spark plugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blow-off_valve
[/quote]

That doesn't say much!

[quote author=GT1 link=topic=67886.msg1170518#msg1170518 date=1169841555]
How will the ECU react to the overly rich condition every time someone takes their foot off of the accelerator?
Will it adjust the fuel trim or some other parameter (and thus affect performance)?
Is there anyone here that is highly familiar with the ECU firmware?

I didn't think so.

[/quote]

It is just a split second, if there was any problems with it venting people would be stalling out and having other issues. And do you even know how much it is running rich!

You could check it with a scan tool!

But I doubt you have any proof of what you are speaking!

·
Registered
452 Posts
It is not just when you "shift" that it goes rich it is EVERYTIME you lift off the throttle. If you are stuck in traffic and are on and off the throttle, or just because you are one of those people that can't hold the throttle steady everytime you lift and the BOV opens you are dumping air that has been metered by the MAF. The ECU does not know that it has been dumped to atmosphere (and there is no way to teach it either!) so it still injects the fuel it thinks is needed for the amount of air it has already seen go past the MAF, our cars run rich enough already and this is going to make it a bunch worse everytime you open the BOV.

I don't believe you are going to "hurt" your engine and I doubt this is going to cause spark plugs to foul, it is just going to KILL your fuel mileage (mostly because you are going to get on the gas and then lift just because it goes PFSSSSST )

It's your car, you can do anything you want, I would never try to talk anyone out of having fun with their car, but you should at least understand how the system works and make informed decisions.

When I first started playing with cars the trick setup was bolting a set of sidedraft Weber Carbs on, most people never got them to run worth a damn but they sure made great noises, then everyone complained that their fuel mileage went into the toilet (back when 97 octane leaded fuel was 50 cents a gallon).

·
Registered
402 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=67886.msg1170996#msg1170996 date=1169855450]
It is not just when you "shift" that it goes rich it is EVERYTIME you lift off the throttle. If you are stuck in traffic and are on and off the throttle, .....

When I first started playing with cars the trick setup was bolting a set of sidedraft Weber Carbs on, most people never got them to run worth a damn but they sure made great noises, then everyone complained that their fuel mileage went into the toilet (back when 97 octane leaded fuel was 50 cents a gallon).
[/quote]

Wow, another old dude that has got to be older even than I am! I remember 50 cents a gallon but I was still taking my dirtbike apart and trying to put it back together again.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts