Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short, bought Sokools old HKS catback and the drone and overall volume was way too loud for me! Bought the silencer for it quited down a bit, but the silecer looked so stupid in the nice tail pipe section. Well removed the HKS front section and replaced with the stock section 2nd cat and resonator with a 2.5" nipple and flange to mount to the HKS. Now I can replace the HKS front section anytime I want. The sound is soooo sick, deep rumble just 50% less volume the the HKS resonated front pipe. The weld job and flange work is top notch! And i just can not get over the sound, all the guys at the shop love it!!! Now on to the pics.

Again the sound is exactly as the HKS ful system just 50% less loud and no drome at all! On the way home from work on GSP at 3,000 rpm nice deep tone!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let me explain one more time! Not interested in power gains, face it unless there is a Turbo on this car is it Slow!!! MY 15-PSI JRSC /Nitrous Focus walks all over the MZ3 even prior to having the 75-shot. So I put on the HKS and the drone and volume was waiting for the car to catch up, you know like the loud ass cars you hear coming and then oh, there it is!

I still have the deep rumble HKS sound with zero drone and about 50% of the overall volume, understand now? Kind of like an Axle back not ct back.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=136331.msg2937536#msg2937536 date=1234666846]
Well let me explain one more time! Not interested in power gains, face it unless there is a Turbo on this car is it Slow!!! MY 15-PSI JRSC /Nitrous Focus walks all over the MZ3 even prior to having the 75-shot. So I put on the HKS and the drone and volume was waiting for the car to catch up, you know like the loud ass cars you hear coming and then oh, there it is!

I still have the deep rumble HKS sound with zero drone and about 50% of the overall volume, understand now? Kind of like an Axle back not ct back.
[/quote]

No need to explain. :lol: I already read about it from previous threads you created about this issue. IMO I just dont understand why you hacked up a good exhaust. If all you was interested in was sound, you could have easily purchased an HKS muffler ran an axle back and you would have gotten the same result and it would have been cheaper too. But hey, to eaches own.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not hack anything, i is a direct BOLT-ON replacement, I still have the HKS front peice at teh shop on the shelf. It is all bolt on!

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
lol

you should have just replaced the stock muffler with a borla or magnaflow and swapped the tip. i dunno this seems like an expensive way to get a little sound.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
reverse engineering... or more like retarded engineering...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off:

I paid $300 for the complete exhaust it was used! Reverse engineering are you guys for real? How much WHP do you think I took away from the original 2nd cat delete? It is the sound I wanted with the ability to place the HKS center section back in when i go Turbo. And for all you guys that are soo cool with your loud ass exhaust (all sound and no pound) I really have no comment. I laugh when I hear the loud BRAAAAAAAH and then finally see the car passing by.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do not understand the mentality on this site. You state something with pictures to inform some people of what you did and how you acheived what you wanted and then everybody starts to rip, half of which do not even have a cat back or amy mods. I stated from the begining i was not interested in power gains! This is why people do not like to list what they have done diffrent from the masses. The HKS as it is shipped for an NA car is waaaay toooo loud and droney in my opinion. I made a change and it worked for me perfectly. That is all

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I'm not buggin you because you want quiet exhaus I personally still have my oem exhaust on my ms3. What I'm saying is that that exhaust is pretty much worthless right now if you want quiet you should sell your hks witch can be sold for aroun 400 and shop around for something better. And is not that I was trying to (a dick or anything but its just that I love the sound of the hks how its meant to be that's all

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
boostd totally understand, but likeI stated believe it or not the overall tone of the exhaust did not change at all, just the heavy loud drone at 3K and the overall volume. It sill sounds like te HKS just not as loud. I love the sound and yes your are correct I could have changed the muffler with a custom tip for around $200 and acheived similar results. I was planning on going turbo, so I theough the HKS would work well later on.

I have always appr. everyones help on here, but sometimes people are just so stupid. I tried to explain my plight from the onset.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts