Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lets just say I thought this thing was going to be 50% quieter then it is! I can not beleive this is considered to be one of the quietest for the 3 WOW! I am getting the silencer off line tonight to try that it says it reduces the tone 7 DB! I can only hope!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, used to have the Apexi W/S with a kamakazie header with RT cat and an JRSC fully built 15 PSI focus with a 75 shot and the Apexi was a world quieter!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
i still say borla is the quietest exhaust on the 3. even running no cats i could still cruise on the highway and talk on the phone just fine. i didnt get a single "where the hell are you? its noisy on your end" or any of that. even people that i took for a ride were surprised. just cruising normally its barely louder than stock.

even now with a 3" downpipe and no resonator or cats (just the muffler) its hella quiet until i get on it. i can still cruise around and have a normal conversation with people :lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The silencer will be in tomorrow and I will be installing tomorrow. Actually I am taking the car to exhaust shop and having them reinstall the fron section of the stock exhaust with the second cat and resonator to the rear mid section of the HKS muffler flanged to fit to the hKS so when I go turbo I can replace the HKS with the stock section.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=135822.msg2930520#msg2930520 date=1234401717]
The silencer will be in tomorrow and I will be installing tomorrow. Actually I am taking the car to exhaust shop and having them reinstall the fron section of the stock exhaust with the second cat and resonator to the rear mid section of the HKS muffler flanged to fit to the hKS so when I go turbo I can replace the HKS with the stock section.
[/quote]wow i sorry but thats plain retarded

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am just gonna kep the second cat and then run 2.5 to the flanged mid muffler, not sure yet. I just do no like the way the silencer looks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much quieter with teh silencer, but it looks like crap! painted teh silencer black with high heat paint looks ok, but i liked the look of the open rear tip. What I meant to say above is I am going tomorrow to see how much it is to hav ethe muffler shop install the stock front section with a flange to mate to the mid and rear section of the HKS. Hopefully with the Stock 2nd cat and resonator it will be much subdued. The HKS comes in three sections and I am going to replace the 1st section with the stock setup and then remove the silencer. I am not looking for performance, but the looks of the HKs rear muffler.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=135822.msg2933604#msg2933604 date=1234500698]
Much quieter with teh silencer, but it looks like crap! painted teh silencer black with high heat paint looks ok, but i liked the look of the open rear tip. What I meant to say above is I am going tomorrow to see how much it is to hav ethe muffler shop install the stock front section with a flange to mate to the mid and rear section of the HKS. Hopefully with the Stock 2nd cat and resonator it will be much subdued. The HKS comes in three sections and I am going to replace the 1st section with the stock setup and then remove the silencer. I am not looking for performance, but the looks of the HKs rear muffler.
[/quote]if i were you i would try selling the hks and getting something else or even trading it

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
fuck man i'll straight up trade you for my mazdaspeed exhaust. no drone once you add a muffler on it. i'd like to save that hks from being butchered.

ps : stock cat provides more drone with a cat-back.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=135822.msg2934136#msg2934136 date=1234536364]
fuck man i'll straight up trade you for my mazdaspeed exhaust. no drone once you add a muffler on it. i'd like to save that hks from being butchered.

[/quote]im trying to tell him the hks is the best sounding exhaust on the marked for this car and hes gona kil it :x

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
[quote author=boostedminime link=topic=135822.msg2934168#msg2934168 date=1234537140]
[quote author=biped link=topic=135822.msg2934136#msg2934136 date=1234536364]

[/quote]im trying to tell him the hks is the best sounding exhaust on the marked for this car and hes gona kil it :x
[/quote]

any sound clips with just the HKS catback with stock header?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Look for a vid clip with the car in motion, stationary 'revving' vids are near worthless. You can't really tell the true sound with the car stationary because the engine isn't performing under load and that makes a big difference in the sound output.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed Rick, the stand still rev is awesome, under load, drone drone drone BRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I am not butcher ing the HKS not making any changes to it at all. I am simply removing the fron HKS reaonator section (un bolting) and bolting in the stock 2nd cat an resonator section (Bolting in with a new flange welded to mate to the HKS). If I do not like that the whole thing is up for sale or trade! If teh stock MS3 exhaust was a bolt and go with the resonator in it I would do the trade in a second!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts