Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so as some of you know, the garage i went to wont install my exhaust because it "won't pass inspection" because they think it has an O2 sensor on the second cat.

So i'm doing it myself, however they also said that he stock exhaust doesnt neeed to be cut off, and I think i agree.. Here are pictures of where I *THINK* my new exhaust would bolt on. Again, this is the HKS hi power Exhaust, on a 2006 Mazda 3 Touring Hatchback.

Please tell me, IF YOU HAVE EXPERIANCE INSTALLING EXHAUTS ON MAZDA 3's, If this is infact, where i would bolt it on, and if not, why, and where would i have to cut it?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
that's where the hks goes. just cut the stock somewhere in the middle...doesn't matter where...i just needs to be in 2 pieces since that's the only way it will come out.

that picture is the flex pipe. on the other side of that flange should be some bolts. unbolt there after you've cut the exhaust and the 2nd cat will slide right out.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
and if that's as high as you have the car, be prepared for some cramped shoulder muscles. hahahahaha.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No no, that was on my stock jack, i have ramps, was too lazy to put it on them.

So you have to cut it because you can't get it to go under that crossmember of the subframe? Theres no way to shimmy it backwards a few inches so you can just slide it off?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
lol...you can certainly try but i doubt it can be done. too many bends and not enough room. are you trying to hold on to your exhaust in one piece? you can always have the part you cut welded back together.

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
I've never heard/seen anyone getting the stock exhaust off without cutting it.....plenty of complaining and not wanting to have to cut it, but I've yet to see anything prove otherwise

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
you will have to cut the stock exhaust, there is no way around it. quit wastin time and get to cuttin :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
yep you will have to cut it. I cut mine about an inch after the muffler, so its one long ass piece from the cat to the muffler, and a shorter piece with the exhaust tip at the end.

I did my install on a lift, so it was much easier taking it off.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, turns out everyone was wrong there is a second O2 sensor after the second cat on 2006 models.

Soooo.... i have to look for an O2 simulator in order to get this thing on, anyone know where i can find one? Or would an anti fouler work for this? and where can i get one?

There she is...

·
Registered
472 Posts
looks like you have a PZEV.. i don't think anyone said there wasn't an o2 sensor after the second cat on PZEV models.

i have an 06, but don't have an o2 sensor after the cat.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If i have a PZEV i'm taking my car back to the dealership and demanding a regular 2.3. How do i check?

·
Registered
472 Posts
there should be an emission sticker under the hood stating if its PZEV.

or i think you can check under your car, and if there is a muffler looking thing near your exhaust tip, i think thats another sign its a PZEV. I have seen pics of other 06 models with that and they happen to be PZEV models, my stock exhaust setup looks exactly like the 04-05 models.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AND IT FUCKING IS.....

I need some SERIOUS help here, is there ANY way i can get my dealership to either, give me a new car, or a slightly used car? Considering I told them i wanted a 2.3 liter and they got me a fucking PZEV?!

·
Registered
472 Posts
i think you're SOL on that...only thing you can do is trade in your current car and try to get one thats not PZEV.

Im sure you can still use the HKS, you'll just need to weld a bung. Not sure if you have to do the anti-fouler trick, since the second cat will be deleted.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm so unbelievablely pissed, this is rediculous.

Im even considering selling the car and buying either a slightly used 2.3 or getting a car that isnt so damn restrictive to modifications.

[quote author=isjoining link=topic=69022.msg1196285#msg1196285 date=1170991639]
i think you're SOL on that...only thing you can do is trade in your current car and try to get one thats not PZEV.

Im sure you can still use the HKS, you'll just need to weld a bung. Not sure if you have to do the anti-fouler trick, since the second cat will be deleted.
[/quote]

I think if i keep this car (most likely since I can't really trade in a car with 20% tint) Ill use an O2 simulator, and if that doesnt work, probably sell it privately.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You asked for a 2.3 litre, it IS a 2.3 litre. It's just an emissions strict 2.3 sold in certain states. Look it up.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, and the oblivious salesman obviously didnt care about it, and failed to metnion it.

Great business ethics if you ask me. fucking scumbags.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts