Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, Im looking to put an exhaust on my 04 MZ3 sedan. Apparently theres only an HKS for the Hatch version, which blows because I love the way it sounds. Can I install it on a sedan with minimal problems. If not, what exhaust systems do you recommend for max gains, I live in FL so testing is not an issue, I just want nice sound and good gains. I also like the way the magnaflow sounds, but not so sure on performance. Does/ can any of you awesome people lend me some guidance? Thanks for helping a noob. :p

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Is it will fit your sedan.

I have the HKS on my 2007 Mazda3 Sedan.

The only thing is, the exhaust tip is gonna sit behind the bumper by about 1inch.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got an HKS on my 08 Sedan too, and yeh it fits fine other than the tip is a bit short. Some folks have complained that the hot exhaust exiting the tip has damaged their rear bumper cover, but I've not had a problem with it in close to nine months. If you are concerned about it, any half competent exhaust shop can weld on a tip extension for you.

Look around the Exhaust thread, I think there's a clip in there somewhere. Ignore the clips where the car is stationary and just revving - you don't really hear the exhaust till you get it under load, which means with the car accelerating. The HKS sounds beautiful idling and in stationary revs, but once you get the car under load it can get kinda loud and drony. I like the sound, but there have been others who don't.

The install is dead simple. Easiest way is to cut your OEM exhaust just after the second cat (just ahead of where the tube loops up over the subframe) and just slide it out. The HKS just bolts together in it's place. I'd recommend laying the three pieces out on the floor the way they'll go in, as a double-check that you got it right.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like a plan, but i tend to ride ppl around and i dont want any complaints, but you have a point there on the load deal, it sounds amazing on idle. But i dont want noo DRONNNEEEE lol. or bent rear bumper cover, how much would it be for that extension, would i lose any performance, even minimally?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The complaints are about melting the bumper cover slightly, and soot damage. I don't know how much the extension would run, since I don't have one, but it shouldn't affect your gains at all since you aren't adding restriction into the system. If you are at all concerned about drone, you might want to rethink the HKS - I heard that AlpineMz3 had good luck with the RacingBeat setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts