Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK to all the great people on here that have helped and at times been pissed at my multiple posts, I want to say thankyou, foremost to biped! The dreaded HKS drone that I hated but many seem to love is 90% reduced and in the 2200-3200 rpm all but erased. Took it to a "hot Rod" muscle shop today and the guy said I know exactly what to do. In the front stock section that I had mated to the HKS, he took that out flanged the front end to the stock header, placed a magnaflow HF cat where the stock cat was and then a 24" x 4" round Maganflow resonator and then flanged back to the HKS rear section. all the new piping is 2.5"SS to the 2.65" I think HKS.

Now the sound is still all HKS albeit reduced by I would say 20% reduction in overall volume, but get this the dreaded 2200-3200 deceleration drone is gone (or minimized significantly)! The car still pulls very hard to redline & the sound is strong all the way to about 5000rpm then start to die off. I will post pics hopefully this weekend when i get it back up at the shop.

Thanks you all you will no longer be hearing from my OCD ass, and oh yeah the exhaust is no longer for trade, love it!

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
heh i dunno what i did but i'm really glad you figured it out and gave people yet another option to go with. the more variety we have here, the better informed we all are.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta agree, all these problems come with a fix eventually and i found mine! I was thanking you because you suggested that I add the resonator into the front section and it work incredably well! Again thanks.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
good to hear.

honestly the stock cat creates a lot of the drone people complain about, so it was probably just a matter of a larger resonator than provided with the hks but less resonance than the stock cat.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
What shop did you go to?
There was a great shop in River Edge but the owner retired two years ago and I havent found another good one yet.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
No he swapped out the straight pipe after the first flange and replaced it with a high flow cat and a 4 inch resonator.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct high flow cat and 24" / 4" maganflow resonator in a custom 2.5" flanged piping. The first HKS factory pipe with the resonator was replaced with the HF/resonator setup! DAy two and loving it!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again, did not butcher anthing and I paid $300 for the exhaust lightly used and $175 for the custom front pipe that is flamge matted to the HKS. SO when needed I can just unbolt the HF/resonator section and place in the HKS front section. Total $475 the cost of a new setup from HKS.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
[quote author=myork link=topic=137204.msg2958409#msg2958409 date=1235506158]
What shop did you go to?
There was a great shop in River Edge but the owner retired two years ago and I havent found another good one yet.

[/quote]

So what shop did you use?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Martys bargin brakes and mufflers in woodbridge NJ, great guys! I have been going there with my parents since a little kid. Do not let the name fool you they do quality work. When I was there, there was a turbo 93 RX7, and a worked Buick GNX (Grand National) with a huge turbo setup. They weld sick and have acess to all Magnaflow parts in one hour!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Alpine, I'm jealous! You paid less for your whole system than I did for just the HKS!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Alpine, it's my own fault for being a typical consumer (I want it, I want it now) and not shopping around much. Glad you're happy with the rig though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
[quote author=alpinemz3 link=topic=137204.msg2957260#msg2957260 date=1235446793]
OK to all the great people on here that have helped and at times been pissed at my multiple posts, I want to say thankyou, foremost to biped! The dreaded HKS drone that I hated but many seem to love is 90% reduced and in the 2200-3200 rpm all but erased. Took it to a "hot Rod" muscle shop today and the guy said I know exactly what to do. In the front stock section that I had mated to the HKS, he took that out flanged the front end to the stock header, placed a magnaflow HF cat where the stock cat was and then a 24" x 4" round Maganflow resonator and then flanged back to the HKS rear section. all the new piping is 2.5"SS to the 2.65" I think HKS.

Now the sound is still all HKS albeit reduced by I would say 20% reduction in overall volume, but get this the dreaded 2200-3200 deceleration drone is gone (or minimized significantly)! The car still pulls very hard to redline & the sound is strong all the way to about 5000rpm then start to die off. I will post pics hopefully this weekend when i get it back up at the shop.

Thanks you all you will no longer be hearing from my OCD ass, and oh yeah the exhaust is no longer for trade, love it!
[/quote]

i just ordered an HKS...can you post a video of what your exhaust sounds like now?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
vids or ban

1 - 19 of 19 Posts