Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of fabbing a new front peice to the HKS to reduce the drone was thinking of removing the front section and adding a 53006 HF cat and 12616 6"-round muffler/resonator in that section just before the HKS second axle location. Look at the pick, going to remove the fron section and replace completely.

Just wondering if the lower cross memeber will be in the way?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in patient ofcourse and trying to figure this out without having to scrap the exhaust! Plus a little OCD ofcourse. I was just sooooooooooo happy to ge this thing when everyone was saying how quiet it was!!! Just looking for some help is all, and my impatient nature make me seem like an ass, but wife is bitching etc.....................sorry guys.

I just con not beleive how bad the drone is on this thing, no one ever mentioned it in the threads i searched and I have been on the site all day trying to find a fix.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
You have 2 options.

1. Buy some sound deadener.
2. If 1 doesnt work, or you dont feel like ripping up your interior... sell the damn exhaust.

I've never seen so many threads made about the sound of an exhaust before... wow. If your wife is complaining, tell her to stop. Be nice about it, say you cant do anything to fix it just yet, and that these things take time. You're putting way too much thought and effort into this and you could've had a speed3 exhaust or a Borla by now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Know guys I am sorry and must apologize! Just that when you expected something one way and got something else it is hard to sit on my laurels and not do anyhting. Plus like I mentioned I told my wife it would not be loud (been there with her on this) and then my 7-year old daughter walks in and said daddy's car gives me a headache! I just looked at her and said, you know kids!!!! I almost got divorced over my old car (way too much on that $10K motor etc...) Anyway thanks for being patient.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are right, by the time I done modding with resonators and mufflers i would have spent alot more!!!! I am going to go for thr Borla I think!

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
the borla is still somewhat loud man. i have heard equal amounts of people saying that the borla is the quietest and the hks is the quietest. honestly, it sounds like you have a leak in the exhaust if the car is giving anyone a headache.

to wit:

i have a header, race pipe and 2.25" mazdaspeed exhaust with one muffler. my test-pipe is basically just a resonator. on the highway i can hold a pleasant conversation with no drone at all. at 3k rpm it is just fine. my old tsudo was mega loud, so i know what you're saying, but really it sounds too harsh.

i have no idea why you think it is so loud. there has to be something wrong with the exhaust. also the stock cat creates quite a bit of drone with a cat-back, fyi.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
oh and you can remove that under brace, it only catches the exhaust were it to fall off and offers no structural integrity at all.

honestly i'd buy a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and weld that in at the first section.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, on the front section, how big of a vibrant and what model number, are you saying remove the stock cat and stock resonator and put in the vibrant? Would the magan flow HF cat work in place of the stocker and would that reduce the drone at all?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys i hope i am explaning the drone correctly, when I am decelerating there is a nasty resonation if that is a word, the highway speed, you can not even hear it, but between 2200-3200 there is a deep drone, and declerating is loud, if I put it in nuetral it is gone? Is that drone?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Man just go back to stock and change the tip and call it a day. If you are having issues with one of the quietest aftermarket exhaust for our 3 then changing it to another one won't resolve the issue.

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=137070.msg2954198#msg2954198 date=1235344327]
oh and you can remove that under brace, it only catches the exhaust were it to fall off and offers no structural integrity at all.

honestly i'd buy a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and weld that in at the first section.
[/quote]

the vibrant "ultra-quiet" will not be as good as the magnaflow 6inch round by any means.

i would put money on the magnaflow helping greatly. look up MagnaFlow 12640 this will silence ANYTHING. hell i know a guy that made a side exhaust exhaust useing ONLY that muffler and this thing is pretty damn quiet.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
mazdaspeed3 exhaust if you sell it... add resonator if you keep it... go back to stock if all else fails...

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
[quote author=classicaddict link=topic=137070.msg2954533#msg2954533 date=1235355320]

[/quote]

the vibrant "ultra-quiet" will not be as good as the magnaflow 6inch round by any means.

i would put money on the magnaflow helping greatly. look up MagnaFlow 12640 this will silence ANYTHING. hell i know a guy that made a side exhaust exhaust useing ONLY that muffler and this thing is pretty damn quiet.
[/quote]

they're both like 6 inch round straight through mufflers. i mean good lord $150 for one muffler, that makes THREE MUFFLERS on one exhaust. it will sound stock lmfao.

hell i'm just tossing another 20 ideas out for the man...

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=137070.msg2954672#msg2954672 date=1235358124]
[quote author=classicaddict link=topic=137070.msg2954533#msg2954533 date=1235355320]

[/quote]

[/quote]

they're both like 6 inch round straight through mufflers. i mean good lord $150 for one muffler, that makes THREE MUFFLERS on one exhaust. it will sound stock lmfao.

hell i'm just tossing another 20 ideas out for the man...
[/quote]

$150? the magnaflow i recommended is only 86.95. or are you referring to the vibrant ultra-quiet?

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=137070.msg2955150#msg2955150 date=1235378247]
says one fifty on magnaflow's site if you punch it in, of course that is msrp.
[/quote]

summit is tits ;)

also you can get a discount at www.performancepeddler.com and look up their price. normal price on their site is $86, but put your email in the pop up window and "make an offer" and they will email their lowest price possible. if its below $60.....im gona buy one for the hell of it lol.

just got the email.........the 6inch round muffler is $73 :shock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts