Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried out these light bulbs?
i want to get a good factory replacement bulb upgrade that will increase my visibility at night.
and no, i don't want to do a hid kit.

http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm

·
Registered
530 Posts
Toshiba is the only maker of true HIR bulbs that I was aware of; I think they got the license from GE. The only similarity appears to be the spherical bulb. Otherwise these are $15/pair compared to $60/pair for the Toshibas, and the Toshiba bulbs are clear for maximum luminousity.

Would also be nice if lumens were shown for these bulbs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
These look interesting too, I wonder what the wire leading to the top of the bulb is for? They look like a funky HID bulb but then where is the ballast and igniters?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Ooooh... autolumination is usually pretty good. One of my GF's foglights burnt out in her 09, maybe these 9006 HIRs would be a good replacement. For $15/pair, it's worth a try...

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
not worth it. We carried them for about a week for the Dodge Magnum guys. They were dimmer than the stock halogens and the wire got in the way of usable light. Which is why we pulled them off our site. They were no bueno.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
I was never a fan of overwattage bulbs, as I've had countless harnesses and plugs get burned out by them. I know that Mazdas are supposed to be a little better for this (i had them burn out in my old cougar and my legend) , but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
530 Posts
[quote author=NoRegrets link=topic=134575.msg2892829#msg2892829 date=1233036349]
i want to get a good factory replacement bulb upgrade that will increase my visibility at night.
and no, i don't want to do a hid kit.
[/quote]

You might try GE Nighthawk or Philips VisionPlus halogens - reputable brands that are 30% to 50% brighter than oem and can be found for as little as $18/pair.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The Toshiba HIR bulbs are great, these are a knock-off with blue tint and don't perform the same. Hella makes a decent bulb as well...I'm using them after my neighbor with a C5 Vette really wanted (and needed, IMO!) my HIR bulbs. He gave me both a pair of Hella xenon white and yellow bulbs, the only reference that would be most relevant to people is that they outperform Silverstar Ultras.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you everyone for the responses! :)
i guess these lights are out of the picture though.

what i'm looking to get would be a factory upgrade for my low and high beams as well as my fogs and reverse lights without going to hids.

[quote author=boomhauer link=topic=134575.msg2893930#msg2893930 date=1233085976]
You might try GE Nighthawk or Philips VisionPlus halogens - reputable brands that are 30% to 50% brighter than oem and can be found for as little as $18/pair.
[/quote]

do you know of any websites that would carry these brands? i know i can google them, but maybe you know of a good reputable site off hand.

·
Registered
530 Posts
[quote author=NoRegrets link=topic=134575.msg2894549#msg2894549 date=1233102688]
do you know of any websites that would carry these brands? i know i can google them, but maybe you know of a good reputable site off hand.
[/quote]

I just received a few sets today from http://aid-auto.stores.yahoo.net/rebu.html I had never heard of them before, but apparently they are a chain in the NY area. VisionPlus are $18 to $20 per pair and shipping was very reasonable and fast. Typically these are $35/pair (the Nighthawks are comparable to VisionPlus, and cost $35 with free shipping on Amazon).

·
Registered
113 Posts
[quote author=NoRegrets link=topic=134575.msg2894549#msg2894549 date=1233102688]
what i'm looking to get would be a factory upgrade for my low and high beams as well as my fogs and reverse lights without going to hids.[/quote]

I had similar wishes and went with "true" Toshiba HIR's available through maxlumens.com for my high beams and they are a substantial improvement over OEM and likely most, if not all, aftermarket stock wattage halogens.

Brad

·
Registered
530 Posts
If cost were not an issue, HIRs are probably best. Not only are they the brightest halogen, the lifespan is also decent. There are now high-efficacy +80% conventional halogens available, but lifespan is sacrificed almost proportionately. For me, the VisionPlus seemed the best compromise between brightness, lifespan and cost. I guess I'll find out. :)

What I'd really like to find is a good 7440 bulb to brighten the back-up lights...

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=boomhauer link=topic=134575.msg2894786#msg2894786 date=1233109455]

What I'd really like to find is a good 7440 bulb to brighten the back-up lights...

[/quote]

DING DING DING DING! we have a winner!

i've seen a couple out there but not to sure yet..

maybe the PIAA X-treme White: http://www.eautoworks.com/product-PIAA-3750.htm

·
Registered
530 Posts
And I thought I was the only one...

The PIAAs are a little pricey, and I wish they were clear, but they do look like one of the only good options available.

Or perhaps HIDs FTMFW. :p

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
^ blue-tinted 7440's look kinda weird in the reverse housings to me. I had similar bulbs for awhile but got sick of the red-white-and-blue patriotic theme it gave my tails. They looked amazing when lit up, but really, that's about 5% of the time... and they weren't that much brighter than stock, just looked nicer. Now I have chrome-dipped ones, they are about the same brightness as stock but look much nicer.

Blue-tinted reverse bulbs:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I didn't realize the blue tint was so evident when not lit, and I actually don't mind the appearance in your pic. The biggest thing I don't like about the stockers is the amount of light emitted.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts