Mazda3 Forums banner

High Mileage Thread

180K views 204 replies 121 participants last post by  goldwing2000 
#1 ·
It all started in 04 with the release of the brand new Mazda3.
Now we are coming up to the fifth year of production and some 3's have accumulated some mileage. Perhaps we wont ever surpass the mileage driven by the Camrys and Accords but we might match it!
So, this thread is created for those that have stacked up those miles! How many miles have you driven so far! Any major problems? Let us all know please......

#2 ·
I am currently at 65,348 miles , got my car back in 09/04 brand new with 5 miles on it, no problems yet.... one thing did happen at just over 65k miles, my rear window decided to get a rattle, my first MAJOR issue with my car..... other than the shitty paint and my many rock chips! :?

I figure with the PA roads I drive, it can rattle all it wants , the roads suck here in PA, lol... I've learned to play my stereo louder :lol:

I am on my 3rd set of tires...
Set 1: RSA's - sucked - @ 32k miles and off for.....
Set 2: Kumho ECSTA ASX- great tire! @ 33k (65k total) miles and off, prolly could have gotten another 2-3K but its winter time and I don't wanna slide off the road because of no tread, lol....
Set 3: Kumho ECSTA ASX - (new) got them again cuz they rocked the 1st time :D

#3 ·
I'm currently at 29K and have had very minimal problems so far. I was the only person who ever test drove the car at the dealership (2.3S) and babied the car for the first 5K or so. I was noticing some rear brake grinding so I printed off the TSB and brought the car in (I find when you do that it's pretty hard for them to say that they've never heard of that fix or whatnot) and had that taken care of. I've also experienced some interior annoyances due to rattle issues that alot of people are having and had the TSB done for the rear package lid which pretty much took care of the problem(intermittent rattle remains when cold).

I'm very happy with this car, and I think some people forget that this is still a very young model for Mazda. My wife has the 05 Cobalt and let me tell you about problems.... The interior is completely falling apart after 30k, and the engine has now started to make some pretty strange noises. I'd be very surprised if the car makes 80k, miracle if it makes 100k.

Zoom Zoom

#4 ·
47k miles, and not a single major problem other than a faulty seal on the clutch master cylinder. It went out at a very inconvenient time, but it wasn't that big of a deal other than that.

#7 ·
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=65601.msg1128209#msg1128209 date=1167680505]
bought in june 05, with 44,XXX miles on it currently... no problems except for having to replace a tranny at 17k miles.
[/quote]

What did you do to your tranny?!?!

#8 ·
[quote author=lordkosc link=topic=65601.msg1128382#msg1128382 date=1167689594]
bought in june 05, with 44,XXX miles on it currently... no problems except for having to replace a tranny at 17k miles.
[/quote]

[/quote]

um nothing?

#204 ·
Yeah I doing it

[quote author=lordkosc link=topic=65601.msg1128382#msg1128382 date=1167689594]
[/quote]

um nothing?
[/QUOTE]

#10 ·
18k miles in one year... should of gone diesel! Oh well, its more fun this way :).

Most my miles is on UK Motorways, mostly 80+ MPH and hooning about down country lanes. The following is the Welsh black mountains mud!

No problems with the car so far apart from its frequent flat battery, apparently due to user error!? WTF. My old VW Polo used to switch of everything when the ignition was off. I have got a rattle from the elecy window button panel that disappears with a good thump.

#12 ·
2004, with 75,000 on it. No major issues. Tentioner pully went. few creeks and moans from suspention but I drive the car hard. Oh and crappy paint. but like the guy before said PA roads suck. its like playing dodge ball with all the pot holes and rocks and 2 foot deep puddles that come from nowhere. Its no wonder I need a new paint job already.

#14 ·
[quote author=FluffyDucky link=topic=65601.msg1129205#msg1129205 date=1167759171]
18k miles in one year... should of gone diesel! Oh well, its more fun this way :).

Most my miles is on UK Motorways, mostly 80+ MPH and hooning about down country lanes. The following is the Welsh black mountains mud!

No problems with the car so far apart from its frequent flat battery, apparently due to user error!? WTF. My old VW Polo used to switch of everything when the ignition was off. I have got a rattle from the elecy window button panel that disappears with a good thump.

[/quote]

i got 20k in my first year. and it look like stephs average is even higher.

#17 ·

'04 HB, build date: 02/04; Purchase Date: 08/04; Current mileage: 27,153 miles; Recalls: 1; TSB's: 3, so far; Ongoing Problems: Few. 1. Weak A/C, 2. "snapping" power window, 3. a rather annoying (or shall I say frustrating) stumble when starting out in first unless I slip the clutch excessively.
Other than that the car could be better, but I LOVE my 3. Just ask my wife, friends and coworkers whom I regularly bore to tears w/the latest stories and pictures..... (It's GREAT being a mean ole' man!!) :lmao:

But most importantly, Vegasdriver,
I must question you about your mathematic skills?

[quote author=Vegasdriver link=topic=65601.msg1123676#msg1123676 date=1167342842]
It all started in 04 with the release of the brand new Mazda3.
Now we are coming up to the fifth year of production...[/quote]

How is that again? '07- '04 = 5??

#20 ·
mine is a 04 hatch with 64,000 miles... before my 3 "matured", it was the usual CEL, purge valve, fuel pump annoyances... after about 40,000 when I finally switched to synthetic; then Mobil1, now PP, almost all of the annoyances just went away(knockonwood)... dunno if it was the synthetic but I am not complaining...

fuel efficiency, I do about 80/20 highway/city and mostly hover around the 26-28 MPG; my 3 is the 2.3L autostick... on the highway, I usually do 10 over the limit although when I see someone really moving, I follow behind... =)

also for all you tire-burners, Im running on my original RSAs at over 64,000... dont get how you people wore them out at around 20K miles... I definitely need new tires soon... lol... prob go with the Kumhos like most people on this site...

the only major problem I have right now is my rear bumper... I was rear-ended, TWICE, both times sitting at a red light... it was a major WTF!!! I guess it was just bad luck... good thing its just the bumper; no other damage from what I can see... my friends told me to wait till summer to get it fixed for the paint will get baked on better and since its winter, there is a chance if it ever snows, there might be more damage...

#22 ·
I have 62K on my '04 and the paint has taken a beating as has the car with it's shortcommings.

I hit a deer 20K miles ago and the new paint is dinged up as much as the stock paint but still looks thicker than the coats from the factory.

I've had CEL battles while under warranty but now its running relatively well.

#23 ·
im at 32,272. one CEL. went away 2 hours later. never checked it out.

not one problem so far. *knocks on wood*

#25 ·
:bananadance: Ok, I have been asked to submit a review. I have a '04 Mazda 5dr stick shift with 119,340 miles on my car. Purchased May of '04. I can't count the number of times my CEL was on. Numerous trips to the dealer included replacing the purge valve 2 or 3 times and the gas cap 4 times. Several times I know they just reset the light without replacing anything. I was so sick of the dealer, I drove my car for over 30,000 miles with the CEL on. 2 of the last 3 times my CEL light came on the dealer again replaced the gas cap & purge valve (don't remember the order) as well as flashing the ROM. I was still under the 100,000 mile extended warranty then, but the extended warranty does not cover updating the ROM so I was charged (ripped off?) $85.00. The last time the CEL came on ( less then 10 days from the previous visit & now out of warranty) they claimed a bad thermostat & I had to pay for that too.

With less the 12,000 miles on the car, the drive belt idler pulley exploded on a rainy Sunday night, leaving me stranded in South Central Los Angeles!!! Thanks to AAA & Mazda towing I was able to get to a dealer, but had to spring for the rental car & a taxi because it was Sunday night.

The rear brakes have been excessively dusty from day one, the dealer & Mazda claim this is normal. I have replaced the rear pads three times while the fronts are original & still going strong, although I know my front rotors are warped & have been for a long time. I will soon be replacing the front & rear rotors.

Around 30,000, miles my front end & steering wheel were creaking & was covered under warranty. They replaced the front lower control arms per the TSB

The rear of the car has settled & I now have about 3.0 degrees of negative camber. The suspension on my car is still stock. I plan on installing a rear camber adjuster soon. Will also get the MazdaSpeed Sport dampers & probably RacingBeat springs.

The original Goodyear POS's lasted about 25,000 miles & I just installed my 3rd set of Kumho Ecsta ASX's 225/45R/17. The Kumhos stick better when nearly bald than than the Goodyear POS's ever did & they ride much better, not bad for 1/2 the price! Hopefully getting the rear camber fixed will make the tires last longer.

The front struts make a fluid pumping noise when going over speed bumps. While under warranty the dealer said they were OK, but I'm sure they have been shot since before 50,000 miles.

My A/C has never reliably blown cold air. It is nearly as bad as my '74 Pinto was (no A/C!). The dealer & Mazda claim it is fine, but they don't drive it when it's 119F outside. I will MOD the A/C sensor before this summer.

The crap that Mazda calls carpet is the cheapest sh#t I have ever seen. I wore holes in the rear seat back within 2-3 months.

I change my oil every 8-10K miles using either synthetic blend or full synthetic. Engine internals have been flawless as far as I know. Clutch & tranny have no issues. I usually go to Jiffy Lube, although their "techs" almost always set my tire pressures to the maximum printed on the sidewalls (50 psi) instead of the Mazda recommended psi. I normally run 34-35 psi.

Exterior styling is 10+. Interior styling 10+. Visible workmanship, IE: body gaps & interior fit & finish a 7-8. Interior materials quality a 4-5. Carpet & headliner material a 1.

I have owned: Used '74 Pinto, drove over 50K miles until I was cut off in the rain.(RIP) Used '71 Spitfire drove over 30,000 miles as a daily driver, still have & will one day restore. Used '78 Toyota 2wd P/U drove over 70K miles until traded in. (it was purchased by a local gas station employee who drove it for over 2 years before I lost track, spotted it 10 years later being used as a gardeners truck!) New '82 Toyota Celica GT-S, drove over 110K miles until sold. New '88 Toyota 4wd Extra Cab P/U. drove over 110K miles until traded in. New '92 Toyota 4Runner, sold with 197K miles (recently seen driving around). New '01 Toyota Tundra 4wd Access Cab Limited, traded in @ 115K miles. New '04 Mazda 5dr MT currently over 119K miles. New '83 Honda Ascot VT 500, rode over 30K miles. New '91 Honda CBR 600 F2, rode over 45K miles. I believe that's around 875,000 miles of driving!

Due to the poor dealers I have used around here, as well as Mazda's piss poor response to several issues I have had, I doubt I will ever buy another Mazda again. Except for the Spitfire, you could combine all my vehicles together & I never spent as much time getting my vehicles serviced as I have on just the Mazda. I have serious doubts about Mazda's engineers when they can't design a gas cap that stays sealed or an A/C that blows cold!

I get average 26-28 mpg. My low:24 High 32

If you think this was a long read, you should have tried writing it! LOL!

Hope yours are better than mine.
Paul

#26 ·
Its easy to go through tyres quick over here. In England traffic is far worse so your for ever gunning it out of junctions to get into spaces in traffic. Also from what I've seen of American roads your tarmac is far far better than ours. In addition you have a whopping great big country that you were able to design your road system fresh. Therefore your roads are wide and straight with almost the only steering wheel action being at junctions! If I could work out how to post a clip of some of my drives you'd get the picture of the UK.

And after all that bullshit there is the bare faced truth - I drive too hard through the corners, entry speed is too high and my motorway average is at least 80mph.

My dad is a tight arsed Yorkshireman (you know, moths fly out his wallet with the cash) and he's always appalled at my appetite for rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.