Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Fluffly Ducky's car looks like 50% of the cars in michigan.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
I have 62K on my '04 and the paint has taken a beating as has the car with it's shortcommings.

I hit a deer 20K miles ago and the new paint is dinged up as much as the stock paint but still looks thicker than the coats from the factory.

I've had CEL battles while under warranty but now its running relatively well.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
im at 32,272. one CEL. went away 2 hours later. never checked it out.

not one problem so far. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
223 Posts
:bananadance: Ok, I have been asked to submit a review. I have a '04 Mazda 5dr stick shift with 119,340 miles on my car. Purchased May of '04. I can't count the number of times my CEL was on. Numerous trips to the dealer included replacing the purge valve 2 or 3 times and the gas cap 4 times. Several times I know they just reset the light without replacing anything. I was so sick of the dealer, I drove my car for over 30,000 miles with the CEL on. 2 of the last 3 times my CEL light came on the dealer again replaced the gas cap & purge valve (don't remember the order) as well as flashing the ROM. I was still under the 100,000 mile extended warranty then, but the extended warranty does not cover updating the ROM so I was charged (ripped off?) $85.00. The last time the CEL came on ( less then 10 days from the previous visit & now out of warranty) they claimed a bad thermostat & I had to pay for that too.

With less the 12,000 miles on the car, the drive belt idler pulley exploded on a rainy Sunday night, leaving me stranded in South Central Los Angeles!!! Thanks to AAA & Mazda towing I was able to get to a dealer, but had to spring for the rental car & a taxi because it was Sunday night.

The rear brakes have been excessively dusty from day one, the dealer & Mazda claim this is normal. I have replaced the rear pads three times while the fronts are original & still going strong, although I know my front rotors are warped & have been for a long time. I will soon be replacing the front & rear rotors.

Around 30,000, miles my front end & steering wheel were creaking & was covered under warranty. They replaced the front lower control arms per the TSB

The rear of the car has settled & I now have about 3.0 degrees of negative camber. The suspension on my car is still stock. I plan on installing a rear camber adjuster soon. Will also get the MazdaSpeed Sport dampers & probably RacingBeat springs.

The original Goodyear POS's lasted about 25,000 miles & I just installed my 3rd set of Kumho Ecsta ASX's 225/45R/17. The Kumhos stick better when nearly bald than than the Goodyear POS's ever did & they ride much better, not bad for 1/2 the price! Hopefully getting the rear camber fixed will make the tires last longer.

The front struts make a fluid pumping noise when going over speed bumps. While under warranty the dealer said they were OK, but I'm sure they have been shot since before 50,000 miles.

My A/C has never reliably blown cold air. It is nearly as bad as my '74 Pinto was (no A/C!). The dealer & Mazda claim it is fine, but they don't drive it when it's 119F outside. I will MOD the A/C sensor before this summer.

The crap that Mazda calls carpet is the cheapest sh#t I have ever seen. I wore holes in the rear seat back within 2-3 months.

I change my oil every 8-10K miles using either synthetic blend or full synthetic. Engine internals have been flawless as far as I know. Clutch & tranny have no issues. I usually go to Jiffy Lube, although their "techs" almost always set my tire pressures to the maximum printed on the sidewalls (50 psi) instead of the Mazda recommended psi. I normally run 34-35 psi.

Exterior styling is 10+. Interior styling 10+. Visible workmanship, IE: body gaps & interior fit & finish a 7-8. Interior materials quality a 4-5. Carpet & headliner material a 1.

I have owned: Used '74 Pinto, drove over 50K miles until I was cut off in the rain.(RIP) Used '71 Spitfire drove over 30,000 miles as a daily driver, still have & will one day restore. Used '78 Toyota 2wd P/U drove over 70K miles until traded in. (it was purchased by a local gas station employee who drove it for over 2 years before I lost track, spotted it 10 years later being used as a gardeners truck!) New '82 Toyota Celica GT-S, drove over 110K miles until sold. New '88 Toyota 4wd Extra Cab P/U. drove over 110K miles until traded in. New '92 Toyota 4Runner, sold with 197K miles (recently seen driving around). New '01 Toyota Tundra 4wd Access Cab Limited, traded in @ 115K miles. New '04 Mazda 5dr MT currently over 119K miles. New '83 Honda Ascot VT 500, rode over 30K miles. New '91 Honda CBR 600 F2, rode over 45K miles. I believe that's around 875,000 miles of driving!

Due to the poor dealers I have used around here, as well as Mazda's piss poor response to several issues I have had, I doubt I will ever buy another Mazda again. Except for the Spitfire, you could combine all my vehicles together & I never spent as much time getting my vehicles serviced as I have on just the Mazda. I have serious doubts about Mazda's engineers when they can't design a gas cap that stays sealed or an A/C that blows cold!

I get average 26-28 mpg. My low:24 High 32

If you think this was a long read, you should have tried writing it! LOL!

Hope yours are better than mine.
Paul

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its easy to go through tyres quick over here. In England traffic is far worse so your for ever gunning it out of junctions to get into spaces in traffic. Also from what I've seen of American roads your tarmac is far far better than ours. In addition you have a whopping great big country that you were able to design your road system fresh. Therefore your roads are wide and straight with almost the only steering wheel action being at junctions! If I could work out how to post a clip of some of my drives you'd get the picture of the UK.

And after all that bullshit there is the bare faced truth - I drive too hard through the corners, entry speed is too high and my motorway average is at least 80mph.

My dad is a tight arsed Yorkshireman (you know, moths fly out his wallet with the cash) and he's always appalled at my appetite for rubber.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

Damn Spitfire,
120K in less than three years?!?!?!? That's a lotta' drivin'. And I thought superjudge had a lot of miles on his.
Mazda, and their dealers, can be a pain in the ass, but the car is worth it, IMO. If you've driven a British car, especially one of that era or before, you know what anautomotive love/hate relationship is all about.
I used to own 2 MG's (consecutively, not @ the same time.) You have to love sports driving and be a glutton for punishment @ the same time. :lmao:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Reliability is why all the Brit sportscar makers have nearly died out. Everything else is foreign owned. TVR is Russian, Jag is Ford, Aston is Ford. We've only got tiny small volume makers left. Bristol are still going, I think AC is, Jenson had a go at re-emerging, Westfield are amazing.

If you want a love hate relationship with a car, buy a Fiat. For a first car a Fiat Punto wasn't bad looking (by british standards of first car!!!!), 2 years and 3 clutches later I was not impressed.

I've had very little go wrong on my 3 and hope it stays that way. My UK dealer is excellent and has even fixed problems without an appointment. The car is screwed together far better than my Fiat and VW ever were. Fuel consumption is an issue though, this is the largest capacity engine I've ever had to run.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

Reliability, and the ablilty to work on them too. I scrapped more knunkles under the dash, under the bonnet, and underneath those two cars than any other I've owned, including a Jensen bodied Volvo P1800. But I loved driving them when they weren't giving me trouble. Why else would I have bought two?
I thought mismanagement (British Leyland Corp. and the governemental intervention) killed the British auto industry more than anything else? Mismanaged funds and all....? Plus they weren't "car people."
FIAT??? You mean "Fix It Again, Tony?" That Fiat? When I was in the business turning wrenches, I worked on one, because nobody else would. After that one, we didn't have any Fiat mechanics in the shop. I couldn't even remember the model, just a small white 4 dr. sedan, circa late '60's. An extraordinary POS and more poorly engineered (from a mechanics standpoint) than my MG's.
What engine/drivetrain do you have in your 3? I understand that the British Isles and Western Europe are offered a 1.6L version. Is that correct info?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your right about Fiat - Fix It Again Tony is another version. Modern small fiats are good looking cars but would never appeal to the US market. You guys are going to get a relaunch of Alpha Romeo soon apparently, fiats premium brand.

I've got a 2.0 sport manual. We're not to big on auto's over here, they're for old men and business execs! We don't get a 2.3 unless its the MPS (Mazda Speed) and we do get a 1.6 petrol and a 1.6 diesel.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

Well, personally I too think that autos (ATX's) should only be sold to old men, women and ppl who, for one reason or another, can't use the clutch.
I read an article recently stating that Europeans buy 80%(+/-) standards, just the opposite of North Americans (Canada included.) That's a rough figure iirc. Now that I am looking for the article for a clearer reference, naturally I can't find it, but think it was a recent Road & Track.
Do you know another "version" of Fix It Again, Tony? You suggest that you do. C'mon now, share. :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry, I thought I had put the other one, its : Fix It Again Tomorrow! Lotus = Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious. Not got one for Mazda but my mate calls it my Mazda-bator.

In the UK you only expect to use a auto on a premium large capacity car, generally because they are executive barges. You don't put em on anything else. No one does. They reduce the fun and increase consumption. I don't understand anyone who would my self because having control over your gearbox is one of the greatest joys of driving hard. I don't get how auto's are called ATX on here? Its gonna be an American thing I guess?

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
[quote author=FluffyDucky link=topic=65601.msg1147950#msg1147950 date=1168714936]
Sorry, I thought I had put the other one, its : Fix It Again Tomorrow! Lotus = Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious. Not got one for Mazda but my mate calls it my Mazda-bator.

In the UK you only expect to use a auto on a premium large capacity car, generally because they are executive barges. You don't put em on anything else. No one does. They reduce the fun and increase consumption. I don't understand anyone who would my self because having control over your gearbox is one of the greatest joys of driving hard. I don't get how auto's are called ATX on here? Its gonna be an American thing I guess?
[/quote]

i dont get the ATX or MTX either, but whatever. i know what it means.

i totally think thats how cars should be too, all manual except special cases and limo's trucks etc.

they're easier to fix, better gas mileage, and it just makes driving enjoyable.

americans are lazy in general, so thats why we have automatics.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the majority of Americans didn't use Autos then how would they hold there super size cokes when they don't fit in the cup holders and drive? It would be impossible! :lol:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
[quote author=FluffyDucky link=topic=65601.msg1147958#msg1147958 date=1168715494]
If the majority of Americans didn't use Autos then how would they hold there super size cokes when they don't fit in the cup holders and drive? It would be impossible! :lol:
[/quote]

Ooooo! That was a lo-blow.
Ah. I had forgotten that one (Re: FIAT.)
If nearly everyone drove an MTX, ppl would have to pay more attention to their driving instead of, the stereo, the cellphone, their makeup, the newpaper, and the list goes on and on.
ATX= Automatic Transmission. MTX= Manual Transmission, but I can't say where the "X" came from either. To abbreviate, we always just wrote/said, AT or MT (or "Stick.") I dunno?

·
Registered
892 Posts
[quote author=FluffyDucky link=topic=65601.msg1147958#msg1147958 date=1168715494]
[/quote]

Hahaha!

Nice.
I often feel like in a few years here stick shifts will only be availible in smaller and/or sportier models.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
[quote author=bbrich57 link=topic=65601.msg1147993#msg1147993 date=1168717778]
[/quote]

Ooooo! That was a lo-blow.
Ah. I had forgotten that one (Re: FIAT.)
If nearly everyone drove an MTX, ppl would have to pay more attention to their driving instead of, the stereo, the cellphone, their makeup, the newpaper, and the list goes on and on.
ATX= Automatic Transmission. MTX= Manual Transmission, but I can't say where the "X" came from either. To abbreviate, we always just wrote/said, AT or MT (or "Stick.") I dunno?

[/quote]

Actually, the TX (both together) represents "transmission". On old radio equipment, you could find leads in the electronics labled TX meaning data transmission. I think the X was supposed to be indicative of the data crossing from one source to another... but the TX=transmission "analogy" stuck in any case. In fact, if you can even remember what one looks like, an old (28.8 ) dial-up modem would have a light on it labled TX and one labled RX... meaning transmission and reception of data respectively.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I thought Europes MTX ownership was more like 95%!!

I'm with you guys. I like to row my own.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

You might very well be right. I was playing it conservatively because, though I did look, I couldn't find the article to verify my numbers.
Do you remember where it was written? As a long time R&T subscriber, I was almost sure it was in Technical Tidbits somewhere around last Oct's issue.
Thanks for the explaination, MC.

21 - 40 of 204 Posts