Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going with the 35x 4500k ( i like the oem look) from dabears(more than likely). any one buy the kit like that yet? if so how was it? did you need extra parts (harness,spacer etc)? would u buy from there again? thank! im pretty excitied to buy these next pay check

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you're talking about the DDM HID kit, I got a DDM 5000K 35w kit from DaBears2K and their service is top-notch. Definitely would buy from there again. The kit included everything you need, including the harness (if you want it) at no extra charge. Also included the H7 spacers on the bulbs. I ordered the kit on Monday, they shipped it out on Tuesday, and I got it on Wednesday. I got the standard (cheap) shipping.

The only issues I had during the install were what most people face...smashing the plastic bulb protectors off while not trying to destroy the bulb, and figuring out where to mount the ballasts. :lol: I HIGHLY suggest you remove the bumper though. It only took me 15 minutes to take it off, and I've never done it before till then. It should've taken less time, but I forgot to remove one screw and couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off. :lol:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
i too have the HID's from dabears2k from 6 months ago and havnt had not 1 problem with them,came with everything and service was top notch.i have 55w 3000k and the battery harness hooked up as well.very nice lights

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am curious will i need to change my projectors if my car came with the halogen lights? I would hate to buy the HID bulbs and wiring, to later go back and change teh projectors as well.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I just installed the 35W 4500k ExPower kit that DaBears2k sells, seems like a pretty decent kit. It's very similar to the DDM kit, except it doesn't require a battery harness. Like others have said, it's probably easiest to remove the bumper to install, but I toughed it out and managed to get them in without having to pull my bumper.

As for the clear cover that comes on the HID bulbs, I managed to remove the screw bases without breaking them. Simply remove the bulb spacer (you have to carefully pull the rubber gasket through it), then remove the clear base and put the spacer back on. I'm re-using the clear covers for my halogen bulbs; I'm gonna stash them in the trunk in the event something goes wrong with one or both of my HIDs when I'm away from home and have to switch back to halogens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote author=04Mazda3Sport link=topic=136885.msg2952463#msg2952463 date=1235249913]
No, you don't need to change the projectors. Just don't expect the best cutoff with the halogen projectors.
[/quote]

I decided that I would really regret it if I got a kit then it looked horrible. So i went looking into how much a pair of OEM HID projectors would be...... 1200!!

If i just wire up the kit and stick them into my halogen reflector assembly, would my car no longer be street legal? I mean without the "leveler"?

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=136885.msg2953413#msg2953413 date=1235300981]
no, you won't be street legal. you can get ticketed. d2s in the h7 projectors will glare. not as bad as reflectors, but you won't be anywhere near as good as stock hids.

the glare of the mazda3 stock h7 projector bowls is well known.
[/quote]

ya i thought so, but its the glare that makes it illegal, not the fact that I dont have the "leveler"? Cuz technically the mazda 3 does come with HID as a factory option... so if I paint the reflector black, nad grind down the spacer in there as I have seen in other threads, getting the cutoff and glare down I would be fine?

One more quick question, you mention d2s bulbs... Are they very different than HID h7 bulbs? I mean other than the connection.

Thanks for the anwers so far, I really like the look of HID's and since I work second shift more than half of my driving is at night, the extra light would be really nice. I just hope I can find a way upgrade to HID's without getting pulled over for them. And without paying the 1200 dollars for the OEM projector assemblies.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
honestly dude,i have 55w 3000k and have not had 1 problem with the police.i dont have factory hid's.there is such a thing as aiming them fyi

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=carokann link=topic=136885.msg2957705#msg2957705 date=1235472593]
[quote author=bani link=topic=136885.msg2953413#msg2953413 date=1235300981]
no, you won't be street legal. you can get ticketed. d2s in the h7 projectors will glare. not as bad as reflectors, but you won't be anywhere near as good as stock hids.

the glare of the mazda3 stock h7 projector bowls is well known.
[/quote]

ya i thought so, but its the glare that makes it illegal, not the fact that I dont have the "leveler"? Cuz technically the mazda 3 does come with HID as a factory option... so if I paint the reflector black, nad grind down the spacer in there as I have seen in other threads, getting the cutoff and glare down I would be fine?

One more quick question, you mention d2s bulbs... Are they very different than HID h7 bulbs? I mean other than the connection.

Thanks for the anwers so far, I really like the look of HID's and since I work second shift more than half of my driving is at night, the extra light would be really nice. I just hope I can find a way upgrade to HID's without getting pulled over for them. And without paying the 1200 dollars for the OEM projector assemblies.
[/quote]

yes, its the glare which makes them illegal. painting the reflector black will reduce some of the glare but wont eliminate it since the stock h7 projector bowl doesnt focus d2s bulbs properly. theres nasty reflections all over. its like putting a longitudinal engine in a transverse car chassis.

there are no hid h7 bulbs. all the aftermarket kits are d2s with spacers and illegal.

if you get pulled over for any reason not related to lights, the police can pop your hood and check your lights and ticket you for non oem. so you can still get nailed.

the best way is to get a real hid retrofit with e.g. tsx hid projectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts