Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the xenon store sells d2r replacements? should I be buying D2r or d2s???? or just plain h7 aftermarket replacement?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
[quote author=stephanielai link=topic=68444.msg1182567#msg1182567 date=1170415541]
the xenon store sells d2r replacements? should I be buying D2r or d2s???? or just plain h7 aftermarket replacement?
[/quote]

depends on what you trying to do....

what do you want to do to the car?? :?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
If your car already have factory HID's then you will just need to replace the bulbs, if you car comes with stock halogens then you will need to get the H7 HID conversion kit :)

Hope this helps.

-Devin Montreuil

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
D2R bulbs are for bi-xenon projectors (hi and lo beam) D2S are for single lo beam projectors. Both of these bulbs are for HID projectors.

As stated, if using the H7 Halogen projector, then an H7 conversion kit is needed OR an H7 adapter for a D2S bulb.

You'll also need to correct ballasts, conversion or true HID.

·
Registered
104 Posts
[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=68444.msg1182962#msg1182962 date=1170436973]
D2R bulbs are for bi-xenon projectors (hi and lo beam) D2S are for single lo beam projectors. Both of these bulbs are for HID projectors.

As stated, if using the H7 Halogen projector, then an H7 conversion kit is needed OR an H7 adapter for a D2S bulb.

[/quote]

Hey there.. I am trying understand all that too.. so now I do have in my car stock HID... so I assume I will need to buy D2S bulbs.. but if someone has H7 halogen projectors.. hows that work? don't they need special lenses? why they can just buy all the KIT and thats it? why my car has lenses.. and other cars just need H7 conversion kit without lanses? isn't that going blind others? Also is there any chance to make my stock HID as a bi-xenon? or it is just not worth?

thank U much.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
[quote author=cub4bearindiana link=topic=68444.msg1183111#msg1183111 date=1170442112]

[/quote]

Hey there.. I am trying understand all that too.. so now I do have in my car stock HID... so I assume I will need to buy D2S bulbs.. but if someone has H7 halogen projectors.. hows that work? don't they need special lenses? why they can just buy all the KIT and thats it? why my car has lenses.. and other cars just need H7 conversion kit without lanses? isn't that going blind others? Also is there any chance to make my stock HID as a bi-xenon? or it is just not worth?

thank U much.
[/quote]

you can find some bi-xenon projectors on ebay.. just depends on how badly u want them... it would involve a lot of work..

1st you'd have to get the appropriate size projectors, then bake open the headlights then do the wiring for triggering the bi xenon feature.. etc etc...

its do able.... just need a lot of time patience and $$$

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
[quote author=cub4bearindiana link=topic=68444.msg1183111#msg1183111 date=1170442112]

[/quote]

Hey there.. I am trying understand all that too.. so now I do have in my car stock HID... so I assume I will need to buy D2S bulbs..[/quote]

Yes, you'd use D2S bulbs, as you have HID projectors.

but if someone has H7 halogen projectors.. hows that work? don't they need special lenses? why they can just buy all the KIT and thats it? why my car has lenses.. and other cars just need H7 conversion kit without lanses? isn't that going blind others? [/quote]

The name *conversion kit* can be a bit confusing. The conversion is really just the bulb. The bulb is made with an H7 type base so it will fit into H7 halogen projectors. This is called a *re-based* bulb. A D2S bulb's base will only fit a true HID projector bowl. Now, there are H7 adpapterts to use a D2S bulb in an H7 projector...case in point, Valeo H7 projectors are said to be excellent for HID use, despite being a halogen projector. But i have never seen any other D2S adpaters, other than for an H7.

As for the projectors themselves. HID projectors are optimised to be used with HID bulbs, and will have different bowls and lenses than their Halogen counterparts. Ideally, when using an HID system, an HID projector is much prefered. But since ppl cannot always afford a true HID retrotfit (<< more on this in a minute) the demand for aftermarket HID kits that fit into their current halogen projectors was created...and in our case, the Mz3 halogen projectors aren't all that horrible for HID use...better than most, but not super duper either.

Typically, unless the aiming adjustments are messed up, using HID bulbs in a halogen projector will not blind oncoming traffic...using them in reflector based lamps (like our high beams) then yes, they would be blinding.

A retrofit, is when you take a complete HID projector (bowl and lens) from another car and fit it in place of a halogen projector or into a reflector lens. This can be a daunting task, as building a proper mount to be able to aim it properly and have it look good is not always easy.

Also is there any chance to make my stock HID as a bi-xenon? or it is just not worth?

thank U much.
[/quote]

I have no idea if that would even be possible. A bi-xenon lens usues 2 cutoff sheilds, low beam and high beam and a solenoid or something to switch between them. adding this to a single projector lens would probably not be worth it, compared to retrofitting an actual bi-xenon projector.

For more info on HID's, i've found this site very helpfull. I'm still new to HIDs but i reference this site alot.
www.HIDplanet.com

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
there seems to be a little confusion in this thread.

If your car comes stock with the factory Xenon headlights then you need a D2S bulb.

A D2R bulb is a version of a HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulb solely made for OEM reflector based Xenon headlights. We have a projector based headlight which needs a D2S bulb.

BiXenon is a term where the headlight uses the HID bulb as a low and high beams using some kind of mechanical system in the headlight to change the beam pattern of the bulb. There are both D2R and D2S Bixenon systems.

If you car came stock with Halogen headlights, you will need some sort of H7 Hid kit. You can find them from the vendors on this site.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
[quote author=ruff link=topic=68444.msg1183782#msg1183782 date=1170459265]
A D2R bulb is a version of a HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulb solely made for OEM reflector based Xenon headlights. We have a projector based headlight which needs a D2S bulb.
[/quote]

my bad....i'm still learning. atleast i was 99% correct ;)

thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
U people are AMAZING here :) thank U so much for explanation.. it is nice to see there is someone who has time and is willing to explain few things :) best regards from COLD South Bend, Indiana.

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=cub4bearindiana link=topic=68444.msg1184114#msg1184114 date=1170472257]
U people are AMAZING here :) thank U so much for explanation.. it is nice to see there is someone who has time and is willing to explain few things :) best regards from COLD South Bend, Indiana.

[/quote]

South Bend, eh? My mom grew up there, not too far from ND.

·
Registered
14 Posts
can someone please help me out. i've tried two different hid kits and getting really mixed results, the light output from both of them were pretty crappy.

first kit i tried was a h7 conversion kit
second kit i tried was a d2s conversion kit.

my stock setup was halogen. from what i am reading and guess i would need a h7 conversion kit, is this right? what is this adapter everyone is talking about? does anyone have a picture? this weekend I am going to take everything out and try the h7 conversion kit again, but i am about to give up and just stick with the halogen. getting so frustrated. i do half my driving at night, so i would rather keep the HIDs, but if i cant see anything in front of me, then something is better than nothing.

the problem i am having is that everything seems good, i have a nice cut off, but the light is so scattered and off centered, both pointing outwards and downwards. i've tried reseating and it did not help, not sure what to do anymore.
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
[quote author=ewong915 link=topic=68444.msg1253009#msg1253009 date=1173233248]
can someone please help me out. i've tried two different hid kits and getting really mixed results, the light output from both of them were pretty crappy.

first kit i tried was a h7 conversion kit
second kit i tried was a d2s conversion kit.

my stock setup was halogen. from what i am reading and guess i would need a h7 conversion kit, is this right? what is this adapter everyone is talking about? does anyone have a picture? this weekend I am going to take everything out and try the h7 conversion kit again, but i am about to give up and just stick with the halogen. getting so frustrated. i do half my driving at night, so i would rather keep the HIDs, but if i cant see anything in front of me, then something is better than nothing.

the problem i am having is that everything seems good, i have a nice cut off, but the light is so scattered and off centered, both pointing outwards and downwards. i've tried reseating and it did not help, not sure what to do anymore.
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[/quote]

You need H7 HID kit. You'll also need spacers. They are the plastic black pieces at the bottom of that pic:

Oh...and next time you might want to buy from a board sponsor ;) Saves a lot of problems ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts