Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i got hids installed, and they jsut dont seem as bright... honestly when im driving i couldnt tell if they were on or not.

i have tried adjusting them but it doesnt seem to do anything at all.
they just seem to low like if u look at them in pics they light up the ground very close, but nothing else, i was honestly hoping for something that would light up alot more ground infront of me ;\ ( like u can see in 3rd last pic its hardly lighting up across 1 house property.

when they are on i can stick my hand in there and if i push down on them just a lil they move a lil and it looks alot brighter and has alot longerbeem, i was gunna twist tie them but i thought i would post pics 1st b4 doing n e thing i might regret

o btw.. its snowing here ... again

here are pics

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=coondogg link=topic=134671.msg2895423#msg2895423 date=1233142397]
Some here are experts on this stuff but I'd guess that the bulbs are in upside down... :dunno:
[/quote]

i hope not putting the bulbs in were apparently a bitch !

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
I've installed two sets on HID's with thejeans and both times we took the bumpers and headlight housings off for the install. It is the only way to go, IMO...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=coondogg link=topic=134671.msg2895434#msg2895434 date=1233143452]
I've installed two sets on HID's with thejeans and both times we took the bumpers and headlight housings off for the install. It is the only way to go, IMO...
[/quote]

Lol something i wouldn't normally try, especially since i got cold/snow here and no garage to work in.

i actually went and twist tied them and they look 100% nicer, i think i need a harness for it because it seems the bulbs are just sitting in there i was thinking of putting some tape the hold them better ( i know not best fix but fkc it im not spending ANYMORE money so cheep household fixes that no 1 will notice from the outside.

Ill take pics in just a min... ( from my driveway )

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
couldnt take the exact same pic, in a matter of 20 mins? the snow froze and now my window needs to be scraped and i wassnt gunna do that ... lol

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=coondogg link=topic=134671.msg2895448#msg2895448 date=1233144797]
Are they the correct bulbs then?

You should get a cut off like this if they are installed properly:

[/quote]

yup they are the right bulb

·
Registered
801 Posts
Here is example of output pattern( 3m from wall) of

A proper bulb insert.

B bulb tip down( can be happen withough spacer for aftermarket H7 HID bulb)
C bulb tip up( can be happen withough spacer for aftermarket H7 HID bulb)

right hand side pictures are just streactched image trying to simulate light pattern on the ground.
I on purposely misaligned bulb insert to show output affect.

These samples are from stock HID projector, but stock halogen has same tendency. Hope this charts can give some idea.

B, C can be happen if there are no spacer for aftermarket HID H7 bulb, since bulb retainer springs cannot secure bulb with enough tension or leave gap ( height of halogen H7 bulb holder)for H7 HID bulb to wiggle, off alignment.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i might be missing one, could be ver y possible. if it didnt come in the box i got i didnt use one

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a Speed3 with stock HIDs and my driver's side light output looks like diagram B. I thought it was the lense that caused that bowing on the sides. I'll check my light bulb tonight to see I suppose. Is there a chance that it's the lense that causes the bowing?

·
Registered
801 Posts
The diagram I made is with pictures of lighting pattern 3m from wall.
With more distance, diagram A also shows some BRIGHTER line bowing and it is how Mazda3's HID projector pattern designed. And yes it is the lens and focus point design making this bowing.

So brighter line bowing down toward pattern edge is normal. And you should still be able to see straight cut off as well, but this straight cut off is so much less brighter than main line, so especially near pattern edge, you might just see brighter line bowing down.

This is picture of stock HID ( original condition)about 15m away from wall. As you can see right hand side edge, brighter line bowing down little. So as left hand side( not clear in the pic though) and slight straight cut off above bowing line.
When more distance, you no longer see straight cut off well anymore, that's why I believe you are seeing only brighter bowing line in your lighting pattern.

Difference between diagram A and B is, that B has brighter line out of pattern and unevelny illuminates.
So if you still see unusual light pattern distribution like diagram B when close to wall( 2 to 3m from wall),then it might be something off.
You can feel free to send me PM with picture if something unsure.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'll take some pictures tonight and PM them to you upashi. My beams combined together from afar looks good, but when up close, the driver's side is fuzzy and bowed more than the passenger. TIA for the help.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya my lights dont look like that at all lol... ill take some pics to show mine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts