Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats all the humour I have right now. The retention clips have beat me the last 2 days now.

Yesterday I installed my prolumen 6000K kit from Devin and everything went beautifully without a hitch except for the retention clip and spacers :x , so frustrated yesterday. I wrestled with the stupid clips for about 5 hours :shock: , yeah, I know... I was ready to take the front bumper off. What a stupid design on mazda's part, I've never had a more frustrating experience installing JUST light bulbs. I was able to put the stock bulbs/spacers back in multiple times but these just will not go. I tried shaving down the pegs on the spacers, probably 1/16" and tried that but still no luck. For some reason the only thing that will work are the foam bulb holders that are just there for packaging.

I tried again today just for 15 mins but still no luck, again the foam worked without any problems. The foam is holding the bulb right in there but I think over time they will become loose, so I think I'm gonna try shaving the pegs even more or doing the homemade sink plug spacers.

Just needing to vent...on the "brightside" the hids look amazing and my cutoff is still pretty sharp, couldn't be more happy but still need to work on the retention clip and spacer issue.

R.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Re: HID Install: Retetion clips leading series 2-0

shaving the spacer will work, as will the home made tub plug.

Good luck in either case!

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
Re: HID Install: Retention clips leading series 2-0

5 hours?! i struggled with mine for about an hour and a half before I decided to take my bumper off.. it took me about 10 minutes!

·
Registered
122 Posts

dont use the foam for a long time
i used the foam for half a year+
then i noticed the headlight was aimming weird and i took the foam out and it was partially melted

·
Registered
870 Posts

Taking the bumper off is so simple that I'm surprised more people dont do it. Just unscrew the 12 or so screws underneath, undo the plastic brads on the front side of the wheel wells, and unscrew the single screw above the wheel wells on both sides...and then pull! I can do it in 5 mins flat now, and it saves so many headaches!

Just remember to lay down a blanket or something so you dont scratch the paint when you lay the bumper on the pavement.

·
Registered
130 Posts

yea i struggled for about 30 minutes than just decided to take the bumper off and take the whole light out. from there it took about another 30 minutes to complete the installation and put everything back together. its a smart way IMO

·
Registered
16 Posts

+1 more for bumper removal. i messed with the clip for 30 minutes, then told my g/f i wasnt going to mess with it for another 30 min. i took the bumper off in about 15 min (never removed a bumper before, let alone on her 3 month old car) and from there i did both HIDs, got the wires connected, and bumper back on in aboout 45 min.

it really was one of the easiest things ive done on a car

·
Registered
79 Posts

Is there a thread that shows (with pics!!) the famous "Retention clips"? Furthermore, is there a thread that shows (with Pics!) the removal of the bumper...just in case the retention clips are winning the battle.

·
Registered
16 Posts

i had the same frustration until i realized i could bend the clips with pliers to make it press harder and it works

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yeah, anyone have a link for a "how-to" for the front bumper removal...I haven't had time to use the right spacers yet, still using the foam temporarily but planning to try again this weekend.

Also, does removing the bumper cause any problems with unalignment of the fenders or hood, that is the only thing I am worried about, I don't want to be spending hours trying to align it perfectly again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=41782.0 <- bumper removal. I don't know why it says it's just for an S model, they're both the same, or close enough. I used that guide to remove my bumper and I have a 2.0.

And R. - no, just take your time and make sure you put it back on the way you took it off and you won't have any problems. make sure you keep up with all of the plugs and bolts, there's about 20 of them altogether.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Great, thanks a lot, will try it this weekend if I've got some time :)

R.

[quote author=stephanie link=topic=66349.msg1150604#msg1150604 date=1168884826]
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=41782.0 <- bumper removal. I don't know why it says it's just for an S model, they're both the same, or close enough. I used that guide to remove my bumper and I have a 2.0.

And R. - no, just take your time and make sure you put it back on the way you took it off and you won't have any problems. make sure you keep up with all of the plugs and bolts, there's about 20 of them altogether.
[/quote]

·
Registered
16 Posts

yep. it all just sorta snaps into place. thats one thing i was worried about but ended up having no problems with it.

good luck

·
Registered
14,388 Posts

I can't believe people have removed the bumper for this. I have replaced the bulbs in my car (as well as others) and never had an issue (other than fitting my had in a tight spot). Even when I upgraded to my HID kit I didn't have to remove the clip, bumper or anything else to get the bulbs in.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

I don't see what the big whoopy is with this retention clip. I've never had a problem with them....

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

[quote author=BoostThat3 link=topic=66349.msg1452750#msg1452750 date=1180704021]
I don't see what the big whoopy is with this retention clip. I've never had a problem with them....
[/quote]

its a bitch, but dont really know how it merits bumper removal

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: HID Install: Retention clips (UPDATE)

Since this thread was bumped back up, I remembered that I still hadn't installed the spacers that were such a pain in the ass because of the retention clip. I tried it again today and each side was a piece of cake this time :shock:, only took about 2 mins per side, I don't why it took me so long before lol. I think for the people having problems, just study the picture of the clip and holder and that should give an idea of how it should clip in.

R.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts