Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a HID conversion in my 3i sedan im wondering if the headlamps are diffrent. My friend said somthing about how the projector lens might be diffent, and i might need to do put a diffent projector lense in to give you a better cut off line, so the lense dosn't scatter the light. Whats the deal? Im thinking he might be wrong cause he is a honda guy. Let me know.

Thanks in advance

J

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
the actual bulbs are different. there is no need to get a new projector, as ours work fine. many members have retro-fited tsx and tl projectors to the 3 simply cuz the cutoff is so sharp and crisp, but whether or not you want to do all of that is entirely up to you. so in answer: no, it is not a MUST to switch projectors, merely a preference.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
using the stock projectors is illegal when converting to HID bulbs simply because you cant adjust where the light is being prjected. Although none of us care. The stock projector is fine to use and will project the light in a very broad area but like the previous post said you can retrofit another projector to get a much more refined beam.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=*Angel-Of-Darknes* link=topic=65568.msg1124687#msg1124687 date=1167409178]
using the stock projectors is illegal when converting to HID bulbs simply because you cant adjust where the light is being prjected. Although none of us care. The stock projector is fine to use and will project the light in a very broad area but like the previous post said you can retrofit another projector to get a much more refined beam.
[/quote]

If it is illegal then why no diffrence between the projector?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
um, are you guys certain that the projectors aren't different between factory HID cars and non factory HID cars (admitting ignorance here, asking a question)? I will grant that the non-HID projectors are probably sufficient for a retrofit without blinding people TOO badly (we're not like retrofitted civics, for example), but aren't the factory HID projectors still better than the halogens (While still not being up to the quality of the TSX/s2k projectors)? I've never seen a retrofitted HID car next to mine, but comparing the cutoff from a halogen car to an HID car, I see a distinct difference. Maybe its just a difference in the light source thats accounting for it, but there is no clearly defined "cutoff" line on halogen cars like there is on HID cars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i know...the cut of line is pretty good on my halogen bulbs....just curious. Dont think mazda would waste time

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
There are small differences between a HID projector and halogen projector. Still the halogen projectors in the Mazda are very good and you can use them with HID. If you need more info you can contact me :)

Oliver

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=M3-GT link=topic=65568.msg1292330#msg1292330 date=1174938427]
There are small differences between a HID projector and halogen projector. Still the halogen projectors in the Mazda are very good and you can use them with HID. If you need more info you can contact me :)

Oliver
[/quote] Yeah my only thing is has anyone had problem with their bulbs going, i know HID burn cooler then halogen, seems like the aftermarket halogen bulbs i had(luminics) always get way too hot(the bulb bubbles out on the side, then blows) noticed this when removing them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
[quote author=Emotionswild3 link=topic=65568.msg1295417#msg1295417 date=1175043457]
[quote author=M3-GT link=topic=65568.msg1292330#msg1292330 date=1174938427]

Oliver
[/quote] Yeah my only thing is has anyone had problem with their bulbs going, i know HID burn cooler then halogen, seems like the aftermarket halogen bulbs i had(luminics) always get way too hot(the bulb bubbles out on the side, then blows) noticed this when removing them.
[/quote]

my last halogens did that especially the passanger side...that one was pretty burned up

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=Emotionswild3 link=topic=65568.msg1295417#msg1295417 date=1175043457] Yeah my only thing is has anyone had problem with their bulbs going, i know HID burn cooler then halogen, seems like the aftermarket halogen bulbs i had(luminics) always get way too hot(the bulb bubbles out on the side, then blows) noticed this when removing them.
[/quote]

you've got to be VERY careful when you install the bulbs not to touch them. Oils from your fingers can create hot spots on the surface of the bulbs will will then cause what you are talking about. I ran aftermarket halogens (Silverstars) in my Integra for over 2 years without one going out on me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=65568.msg1296148#msg1296148 date=1175084004]
[quote author=Emotionswild3 link=topic=65568.msg1295417#msg1295417 date=1175043457] Yeah my only thing is has anyone had problem with their bulbs going, i know HID burn cooler then halogen, seems like the aftermarket halogen bulbs i had(luminics) always get way too hot(the bulb bubbles out on the side, then blows) noticed this when removing them.
[/quote]

you've got to be VERY careful when you install the bulbs not to touch them. Oils from your fingers can create hot spots on the surface of the bulbs will will then cause what you are talking about. I ran aftermarket halogens (Silverstars) in my Integra for over 2 years without one going out on me.
[/quote] Ok very nice!! Thanks you :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
[quote author=trbab032886 link=topic=65568.msg1122984#msg1122984 date=1167294950]
the actual bulbs are different. there is no need to get a new projector, as ours work fine. many members have retro-fited tsx and tl projectors to the 3 simply cuz the cutoff is so sharp and crisp, but whether or not you want to do all of that is entirely up to you. so in answer: no, it is not a MUST to switch projectors, merely a preference.
[/quote]

What it it with some of you guys just making shit up?

Find me one person who has retrofitted TL'S or tsx's to a Mazda3 and I'll eat my hat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts