Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I installed HID on my mazda 3 and it has a weird cut off. When facing a wall approx 10-15 ft away.. the cut-off looks like two small hills.. (one "hill" in the middle of the beam per headlight, sorry i dont have pics ). Is there any way to fix the cut-off?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The cutoff should resemble.
L R

Anything else and you're not seated properly.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=139473.msg3006744#msg3006744 date=1237570551]
hills in the middle means that your bulbs are upside down
[/quote]

What is the proper orientation of the bulb?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=139473.msg3006774#msg3006774 date=1237571269]
The tab on the bulb should be seated in the notch.
[/quote]

Exactly

·
Registered
22 Posts
How can you mount the bulbs upside down?? There is only one way the fit (in my car at least)...

My cut off looks like this:

___/__/

Isn´t this, what it´s supposed to look like with non HID headlights with aftermarket HID kits?

Only problem I have is that the light coming from the passengers sides headlight really floods the sidewalk and is aimed a little high, I don´t have any clue why. Parking in front of a garage, the cut off looks perfect.

Bulb sits tight in the housing, so there´s no way it moves while driving.

Do you guys have any idea? Is it actually possible to "move" the right beam towards the middle, so I get this? What screw will I have to turn?:

___/

Sorry for my english - I hope you know what I mean.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Assuming your halogens produce a fairly straight cutoff:
Without pictures, it's hard to say, but like other members have mentioned, it's most likely the bulbs being seated upside down.

Maybe you guys have different projectors vs US?
I've seen some Mercedes halogen projectors put out crazy cutoffs (more like flares) with HID kits.

·
Registered
864 Posts
[quote author=Operator link=topic=139473.msg3020128#msg3020128 date=1238120384]

If you look closely you can see 2 steps.
[/quote]
holly fucking shit how did you get yoru cut off line to look like that!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does it look anything like this photo (from here)

If that's the case, the glare is from a little shield inside the projector which reflects the light in that way. Thank you to Say Chi Sin Lo for explaining it:

yeah the lens are the same between the halogen and HID projectors... but the shield that produces in the halogen is different from the HID projector. The halogen shield is specifically designed to produce two faint blobs just above the cutoff, to luminate the road signs.

The HID projector uses a different shield, and it produces a clean, blobless cutoff
Dima1978 shaved down the tabs in his headlights to remove some of this glare, I have also heard of painting the top flat black but can't find the post.

Unless you guys are messing with the OP, I don't know where you're getting the "upside down" bulb thing. Or why no one remembers the discussions on this type of glare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok I´ll upload some pics soon!
Mercedes do have a complete different cut off line, compared to Audi or VW. I realized that too.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=Aitch link=topic=139473.msg3022850#msg3022850 date=1238243077]Unless you guys are messing with the OP, I don't know where you're getting the "upside down" bulb thing. Or why no one remembers the discussions on this type of glare.
[/quote]

it's not just the shield. the h7 projector bowl is wrong for d2s bulbs. you get wacky flare up and out to the sides and the light isn't focused through the lens properly so you get a lot of wasted light.

again, just throwing d2s bulbs into the oem halogen projectors is always going to be suboptimal, and modifying the shield isn't going to eliminate the flare -- only replacing the projector bowl will be correct.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
[quote author=MattM3 link=topic=139473.msg3023022#msg3023022 date=1238254911]
Ok I´ll upload some pics soon!
Mercedes do have a complete different cut off line, compared to Audi or VW. I realized that too.
[/quote]

Even though they are halogen the projector is completely different than our cars, that's why the output is not the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=139473.msg3023830#msg3023830 date=1238287689]

it's not just the shield. the h7 projector bowl is wrong for d2s bulbs. you get wacky flare up and out to the sides and the light isn't focused through the lens properly so you get a lot of wasted light.

again, just throwing d2s bulbs into the oem halogen projectors is always going to be suboptimal, and modifying the shield isn't going to eliminate the flare -- only replacing the projector bowl will be correct.
[/quote]

I got my HID's installed now, but I'm still worried that the flare is going to be too bright for other drivers when I align them to be suitable for me in the driver seat.

Would replacing the halogen headlamp housing with a OEM HID headlamp housing provide a more "factory-clean" cut-off? Or what about purchasing the HID projector bowl and replacing the halogen bowl with it?

I could try the "shaving" method above, but I'd hate to make a permanent change like that in case I ever do need to swap back to halogen. I think if I can't find a way to properly get rid of the flare and get as OEM as possible, I may go back to halogens for the sake of other drivers on the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts