Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you jsut purchase Hid bulbs and put them in cuz someone said i could but i jsut wanna make sure

·
Registered
976 Posts
You could if you can hook up 1917 car batteries to it just to ignite it. Now that is 1917 x 12v = 23000volt. After you ignite it you'll have drop it down to its running voltage. Long story short, buy a kit.....

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really humm cuz the guys well two different places auto places said u can and so did my friend humm i hope my g/f can get her money back then

·
Registered
976 Posts
[quote author=mazda225 link=topic=67686.msg1166089#msg1166089 date=1169616492]
really humm cuz the guys well two different places auto places said u can and so did my friend humm i hope my g/f can get her money back then
[/quote]

If your car has stock HIDs, then just buy the D2S HID bulbs and it'll work.
If your car has halogens, then you'll have to buy a H7 replacement kit with ballasts/igniters/bulbs.

Whoever told you that you could probably thought that you have stock HIDs, or he's just talking about the halogen bulbs that has the HID look, which means with a higher colour temperature or tinted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
have question.. :) I do have HID stock ... and was trying find out what is a difference between:

D2S and D2R ????????????

which one I should buy then since I have stock HID with my 3's GT 2006...?

and also what is a temp. of those stock HID bulbs?

can I go with different temper. of the bulb.... with my stock HID? <- and if YES, then which temp. will be the best?

thank You.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think mazda 3 uses D2S for stock, i'm not too sure because we don't have stock HIDs for 3s in canada. You can go with different colour temperature if you like. I can't tell you which would be the best because it depends on what you need it for. For best visibility, 4000k would probably be the best, especially in fog, rain and snow. For 8000k and above it's only for show purpose, not very useful. I have the 6000k just because I want something in between.

Found this on google, the page is gone but the cache is there.

The main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions. Also, the base has different notches. Name of base is P32-d2 for D2S and P32-d3 for D2R. D2R was developed so that Mercedes could still use their reflector based headlights in the mid 1990s. They did not want use projectors like BMW. A glare box inside the headlight could have been used to accomplish a straight line, but a mask painted on the bulb was cheaper to make and had better precision. Other (near) luxury cars (Lexus, Infinity and Acura) followed Mercedes and equipped their cars with D2R bulbs in reflector based headlamps. Using a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output. Some HID kits comes with D2R bulbs. Some amateur kit designers will even claim that D2R genrally reduces glare in a retrofit. This is nonsense. The D2R bulb masking is around 3-4 a'clock and 8-9 o'clock when bulb is in right position. Those are not the (only) sectors that creates glare.
As an example, here is the data on Philips 2 versions:
D2S: 3200lm, 4250K, 91lm/W, 35W
D2R: 2800lm, 4150K, 80lm/W, 35W

1 - 7 of 7 Posts