Mazda3 Forums banner

Which kit do you have?

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say that I dont really know much about Forced Induction, in fact everything that Ive learned has been from this forum. So according to some of you about how false information is spread around the forum, that along with .50 might get me something from the dollar menu at McDonalds. 2nd I apologize in advance but I've searched and found no related topics about this subject. I was wondering out of HiBoost, SCI and Hass which made a better kit for our car? Ive looked at their webpages and basically what they offer is about the same so that doesnt help me much. Hass and SCI both have the same turbo-Garrett GT28R. Now is this better than HiBoost IHI dual ceramic bb turbo? It seems to me that the kit by SCI makes more power considering that at 5 psi it makes 250 whp, whereas HiBoost makes the same horsepower @ 8 psi am I right in that assumption? Also SCI offers you a choice of BOV's. Another difference are the fuel management systems. Is Haltech better than Greddy? Then theres the BOV from Hass which is a factory posche911 BOV... As soon as I have the money saved up I plan on boosting my 3 I just dont know which kit I should buy. Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
It is pretty much up too you. All kits have there strong points and weak points to different people.
You just have to go down the list of parts for each kit and see what you like and don't like.

Also talk to the kit makers.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
ummmm as far as I know from what I talked about with 909 the other night hass is nolonger selling kits for the 3, so it's either sci or hiboost.

I'm sure you know which one I would recomend duh, but as AzMz3 said there are just differences to them.

I will say that for whatever reason Juan seems to be harder to get a hold of than SCI, and SCI's stage 1 turbo is only $3kish which isn't as powerfull, but really close and saves you some $

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was leaning towards SCI. How do you like your kit sleeping? No problems with it? What about your engine life, does just having a turbo decrease the life expectancy even if it runs perfectly the entire time you have it?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
no it doesn't decrease engine life as long as you service your engine routinely.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
909 has done a lot of playing around with the parts on my kit, it's been fun so far. I'm not 100% sure if it is publicly available yet but it should be soon. he really likes to get things tested before he sells them. the stage 4 has like 30k miles on his car now. I don't drive my car nearly that much so the development has been much slower going.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
you can order the Hass kit through Turbokits.com as they merged to some degree.

seems lately that 909 is just as hard to reach as Juan, and both have suffered at times of not getting products out in a timely manner. so i don't think either has the upper hand in that area right now.

...but testing, time and knowledge of the car/kit goes to Juan at HiBoost by far...he really does know the answer to ANY question that comes up with his kit on the car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have either yet, but I'm also interested in this thread, because I will likely go with FI one year from now (with next year's profit sharing bonus and/or tax return money). I was surprised to read in the other thread that the e-manage solution doesn't get rid of the speed governer. This is a deal breaker for me. All the safety nannies out there will probably argue that you should never have a reason to go over 118 mph, anyway, but they can stuff it. Not only did I frequently go faster than that in my supercharged Focus on the relatively empty expressway roads I tend to drive on, I may also take my 3 to the track on open track days, and I don't want it cutting me off at 118 mph.

Also, Juan can provide you with different BOVs as well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
well, all 3 vendors can supply you with whatever BOV you want, you just need to ask, where Juan put it out there like that.

but i'm with you for the most part on the gov. to really enjoy it, though a bit reckless to some, you need to play up there from time to time. in the last 2 years (when the car was in my posession) i was at the 120 mark at least once a week. only a handful were with other cars, most were at 1AM with no one else around on my way home.....it just feels great. there's gotta be a way to do it somehow with the Emanage, but until i see it, that fact alone (and the fact that i love my HiBoost kit) will always have me pushing people to Juan.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i would bet money that it's easier for most to puchase a product to remove the limiter, than it is to have a dealer do it. i know a few people who would be interested though if it's that easy at a local dealer, shoot me a pm of which dealer it was!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wonder how many dealers would squak at removing the fuel cutoff for top speed (I'd like to keep the cutoff for RPM, just because I know I banged into it enough times on my supercharged Focus) due to liability reasons. It's there so people don't go faster than their tires can support. I have to think some would refuse to do it.

I've also been tempted to try my hand at using the Microtech for tuning, preferably without FI first to perfect my mad skills on a less dangerous setup. I'm pretty sure the Microtech can eliminate top speed fuel cutoff (I suppose I should verify that with Steve before assuming that).

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
right now? lol. close to stock. My turbo isnt in yet. Should go in this weekend. When its done I expect around 225 whp. SCI claims 250 but I always take a little off for BS.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
[quote author=Chibana link=topic=66459.msg1142971#msg1142971 date=1168463695]
I've also been tempted to try my hand at using the Microtech for tuning, preferably without FI first to perfect my mad skills on a less dangerous setup. I'm pretty sure the Microtech can eliminate top speed fuel cutoff (I suppose I should verify that with Steve before assuming that).
[/quote]

It does since the microtech completely cuts off all control by the ecu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very pleased with my car. I have driven it everyday since I got it back and I just Love it. I went 130 MPH a couple of times and it is just too fast for this car.

I talked to Juan when he was installing my Kit and he offered anything I wanted, many different BOVs ( I went with HKS SSQV) different color on the couplers, different turbos (Garrett T series, GTseries, IHI, Master Power) External or Integral wastegate, boost controllers, etc. From my point view, Juan is a very professional and easy person to deal with.

All parts in this kit are very high quality and you can see from far. Spearco Intercooler, Haltech, Bosch, HKS, Tial, are top names in the turbo industry besides the lifetime warranty offered in the manifold and piping.

I can tell by experience and I have seen his car and Luis car race and they are both monsters at the track.

My car already has more than 4000 miles in less than a month with ZERO issues so far.

Just ask him what you want and I am pretty sure he will do it for you.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Were there dynos of the SCI kit?

With the piggy back they wont be able to remove the gov without it being removed by the dealer or using another device.

Having the fuel cut removed is a good thing. I have hit fuel cut when I turn up the boost past my limit on the Haltech and hitting fuel cut sucks when you are going that fast.

I think I have taking mine up too 135 and thats as fast as I will go.

I got my kit when it was they only one.
My main concerns were manifold construction, what fuel/ignition ECU was being used, any CEL's with the kit and upgradeablity.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
[quote author=blackrocket link=topic=66459.msg1143059#msg1143059 date=1168467252]
I am very pleased with my car. I have driven it everyday since I got it back and I just Love it. I went 130 MPH a couple of times and it is just too fast for this car.

I talked to Juan when he was installing my Kit and he offered anything I wanted, many different BOVs ( I went with HKS SSQV) different color on the couplers, different turbos (Garrett T series, GTseries, IHI, Master Power) External or Integral wastegate, boost controllers, etc. From my point view, Juan is a very professional and easy person to deal with.

All parts in this kit are very high quality and you can see from far. Spearco Intercooler, Haltech, Bosch, HKS, Tial, are top names in the turbo industry besides the lifetime warranty offered in the manifold and piping.

I can tell by experience and I have seen his car and Luis car race and they are both monsters at the track.

My car already has more than 4000 miles in less than a month with ZERO issues so far.

Just ask him what you want and I am pretty sure he will do it for you.

[/quote]

please list your location. are you even in the United States?

1 - 20 of 173 Posts