Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
believe it or not, i have test driven a 3 and did not notice the light grey interior roof and support pillars. saw some close ups on the web and about had to puke. say it aint so? would like some feedback from people who are more familiar with the car about how the light color actually looks. i really want one of these cars so i hope they didn't screw up the looks too much.

·
Registered
330 Posts
speedman said:
believe it or not, i have test driven a 3 and did not notice the light grey interior roof and support pillars. saw some close ups on the web and about had to puke. say it aint so? would like some feedback from people who are more familiar with the car about how the light color actually looks. i really want one of these cars so i hope they didn't screw up the looks too much.
The light gray is only availible in the "i" version. It's not terrible, just tired of light gray. That's what I have in my car now.

You didn't notice the light gray probably because you test drove the "s" version

·
Registered
78 Posts
nope, the upper half of the interior in my S HB is pale gray as well.

But don't immediately start gagging, there is a reason for it:
When a space is enclosed with dark colors, it makes the space seem smaller, whereas lighter colors give an impression of roominess (kinda like the open sky... funny how that works.) That is why stores will usually paint the ceiling white or otherwise light, to prevent some level of concealed claustrophobia... they don't want your subconscious thinking you are shopping in a cave. SO why would you want to feel like you were driving in one? It's all part of making the 3 feel roomy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i get it, but.....

thanks for helping to ease my pain, but i want a sports car feel, not family car feel in my new mazda. my mother's 87 corolla has the same color treatment, but it's an 87 COROLLA!!!!! sorry, i'm just venting.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I didn't notice it until I was driving it off the lot(on an S). I have to say I like it. It's a grayish color and I think it ads a little refinement/class, while lightening up the interior. Honestly, if you didnt notice it on your test drive, it couldn't have been that bad. BTW, pictures suck, try it again in person.

Craig

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah i hadn't thought of it either until you mentioned it, so i looked at the interior of my car (3s) and I don't mind the light grey upper half either. I looked around at the other cars in the parking garage i was in, and most of the other cars with black interiors (bmw, pathfinder, etc) had the same color scheme with light grey upper half interior.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I never noticed it because most cars I've owned have been like that. The only one that wasn't had a completely red interior (ick).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I just went out and sat in my car after seeing this thread. Yea it's a light grey but I never noticed it before. Didn't feel cheap to me at all. It offers great contrast with the black interior. I guess if the entire interior was done in that color I'd be pretty peeved. Heck, I probably wouldn't buy the car. But as it is, I like the combination.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah......i noticed it's light gray.........and i actually like it
i agree that the lighter color gives more of a spacious feel to it compared to having a dark color

·
Registered
947 Posts
Anyone noticed that the black plastic textures in the car are simple boxes and circles? Nothing else. No Cow Print (tm), just simple geometric shapes.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That's grey? I thought it was tan? Shoot. Now I'm colorblind too.

That is assuming I know what the hell you are really talking about.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
At first, when I saw it in pictures, I thought I wouldn't like the light grey pillars and headliner in combo with the dark seats and dash, but I don't notice the contrast and I do like it. Very similar to my one friends VW GTI. It would definitely be too dark with black/dark grey headliner/pillars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the fact that so many of ya'll didn't even notice it until it was mentioned speaks for how well it works in the car.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I noticed it when I drove it off the lot and I think it contrasts nicely with the black/red interior. It does make the interior feel a bit more rommier.

However, the fake, plastic looking visors need to go!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Personally, I like it better if the lower section and seats were dark gray. The thing I hate most about the 3S hatch is that there is no alternate color to the black interior & seats. Black is very hot in the sun and shows dirt quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts