Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be as thorough as possible with the problems I'm having along with what I've done so far.

Car: 2004 Mazda 3 S 2.3L sedan MTX
Problem: when car is trying to be started whenever, it takes a few too many times for it to finally start. Many people comment on how long it takes. When I take off, the car falls flat on its face in 1st-4th gear as soon as it nears 3000rpm. After a few minutes of driving, the car doesn't fall flat on its face throughout the all gears but seems to not have much power as it should. My automatic 2005 Mazda 3 S 2.3L had more power than this. When maintaining a steady speed it is unaffected after its warmed up for a while. It's acceleration that is badly affected as far as I can tell. The car has been on many multi hour trips without dying or anything. It is not throwing any CELs.
What's been changed out to try to remedy problem: Ignition coils, spark plugs, cleaned throttle body, cleaned maf, checked maf wires visually, purge valve solenoid.

I just want to solve this problem quickly because its annoying. My mechanic can't accurately pin point the problem since no CEL is flipped.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking it was a possibility but my previous experiences with fuel pumps was when they went out they went completely out. Plus I'd hate to replace my pump if it isn't the problem considering they are expensive. :/

· Registered
8,662 Posts
Fuel filter. After that, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to verify proper operation of the pump. For now though, ten bucks says filter.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel filter is built into the pump or something though. As far as I know it's not really a replaceable part by itself correct?

· Registered
4,458 Posts
Same shit happening to my 2004 2.3 sedan MTX. On a cold start it bogs down until I hit 3500 RPM's then it jumps and is fine after. Definitely a loss in acceleration all around though.

I'm throwing 2177 and 2178 codes all the time. I've changed everything but the fuel pump, gas cap, and the evap canister.

It could be a vacuum issue but I have yet to find a leak in my system unless the intake manifold is leaking.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No codes here. I've researched the problem the best I could but came up with basically nada. People say it could be the egr valve but I don't get that code. My purge valve was bad because it would die after being filled up so its been replaced. I will seafoam it tomorrow to see if that helps. I will check my vacuum lines as well. Next step will be to clean the egr valve or replace it if it still does it. After that I'm either going to replace the fuel pump or give up if I can't pinpoint it. This is so frustrating. Seems to be such a common problem but no real solutions. :(

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a scanner. My mechanic does. I have also unplugged the battery and allowed the ECU to reset to see if a CEL would pop up but nothing.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems logical. Just a pain it seems. I've never messed with that stuff. :/ it can't be but a few options: MAF, fuel pump, egr. Or am I overlooking something?

· Registered
5,035 Posts
The only thing u didnt mention was the intake filter and passage way but am guessing that you are all over that allready....

Honestly u can keep on stabing at it.... But without data all u are doing is guessing... The info u get may not give the answer but may point u in the right direction... Afr, st lt fuel, exhaust temp, maf voltages... Etc

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Intake filter is clean and the intake is an Injen CAI. It ran fine until a year ago on the previous owner.

· Registered
149 Posts
I've been having similar issues. Hard start, poor idle (low) and slightly laggy acceleration. No codes. Getting incrementally worse as time goes by.

I have checked MAF, throttle body, battery, purge solenoid valve, plugs and checked for vacuum leaks. Next up is EGR cleaning. Everything is very clean so far on anything I've checked. I'd be surprised to see a dirty EGR valve but am secretly hoping it is so I can finally pinpoint this issue.

Internet searches have come up with many of the same problems but I've yet to see where the OP has come up with a solution.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, put a fuel system cleaner in the tank as I drove back from Lexington. Didn't seem to help. Noticed my cruise control is effed up too but I doubt that's related. Guess I will clean the egr. If that doesn't help, I will see what to do about the fuel system...

· Registered
149 Posts
Well, put a fuel system cleaner in the tank as I drove back from Lexington. Didn't seem to help. Noticed my cruise control is effed up too but I doubt that's related. Guess I will clean the egr. If that doesn't help, I will see what to do about the fuel system...
Good luck. I too tried the fuel system cleaner and came up with nothing. I've had the top if the EGR off and inspected the plunger/ spring mechanism and mine appeared to be working well. I've yet to remove it entirely because of the coolant fluid mess. Next time I'm out of the city at my brother inlaw's I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning. I hope it is filthy.

· Registered
634 Posts
I was just having rough start issues and slight hesitation.

No CEL for a couple weeks.

Finally got a

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Just to see how it cleans did seafoam first.

Next pulled EGR and EGR tube.

I cleaned EGR, EGR tube, flow path from EGR to tube, and flow path from tube into IM.

Lots of carbon build up.

looks like seafoam did not do crap either.

After no CEL and no rough start.

Passed inspection and emissions next day...woot!

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should be getting around to inspecting the EGR valve tomorrow. Just thought I'd throw in something. I've found a way for the car not to hesitate and completely freak out on take off. If I just barely push the throttle as I go through the gears, the car makes it over 3000rpm without an issue. Anything though with more pressure on the throttle, it stumbles everytime its around 2500-3000 rpm. Strange.

· Registered
149 Posts
Should be getting around to inspecting the EGR valve tomorrow. Just thought I'd throw in something. I've found a way for the car not to hesitate and completely freak out on take off. If I just barely push the throttle as I go through the gears, the car makes it over 3000rpm without an issue. Anything though with more pressure on the throttle, it stumbles everytime its around 2500-3000 rpm. Strange.
Sounds like mine isn't as bad as yours. Mine is an automatic and I don't have as pronounced of a stumble as you are having.

I also hope to tackle it this Sunday, the EGR cleaning. I'm also now starting to suspect that it may be an O2 sensor issue. One of the two I'd imagine, I guess there is a front and a rear one? Not cheap. Let's hope for dirty EGR. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.