Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long read but worth it!

I had a conversation with Daniel Stern about blue bulbs and their performance. For those who have no idea who is Daniel Stern please visit this link: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html You will have a lot of your answers about car bulbs answered.

I was questioning him concerning Blue bulbs and the fact that the Xenon lights weren't available in Canada came up. I finally can say that I got an intelligent answer that explains why HID is not available in Canada.

Here's a copy of my emails with him:

ME: I know that all car blue bulbs rob you of lumens and that they can never perform as good as a clear bulb. But if I still want the white look and not a noticeable drop in performance, are the Osram Cool Blue and Philips Vision Blue bulbs acceptable because they use one of their best performing bulbs when they manufacture their blue bulbs? I know that most Chawanese companies just use not great halogen bulbs to begin with so I thought maybe the Osram and Philips would be at least as good as my stock light.

DS:What kind of vehicle are you working with?

ME: New Mazda 3 but without the Xenon package. In Canada it's not available. Don't ask me why....a cost issue I was told. My main beams are H7 55W bulbs with projection lens (I hope you understand what I mean :) . My High beams are HB3(9005) 60W and fog lights are H11 55W. I like the Xenon look but only if I can at least keep my lumens to a degree where I won't notice it while driving. I know some blue bulbs have a really poor lumens output and I don't want that.

I was also told "The harness is very simple to install cleanly and its fully removable in minutes. Essentially it hooks the battery up to the lights through fuses and relays bypassing factory connectors etc. You can run 100+ w bulbs with that kind of setup."

So I'm a bit confused as to what I should do. Keep my stock lights? Go with Philips Vision Blue everywhere (except fog because they don't make H11 yet)? or Go with Philips Vision Blue only on main beams?

DS:> New Mazda 3

Pity about the taillamps on the Mazda3 4-door. In the rest of the world
(and here, on the 5-door) they have proper amber turn signals in the back. In North America they have much less effective red ones.

> but without the Xenon package. In Canada it's not available.

Because of the Daytime Running Lights requirement, which does not exist in the US.

> a cost issue I was told.

Yes. It would've cost Mazda more to implement Daytime Running Lamps on a Xenon-equipped car than on a halogen-equipped car, because of the way the DRL laws are written. Full-intensity low beams aren't allowed as DRLs unless all ancillary lights (parking, sidemarker, tail) come on at the
same time, which is bad for warranty costs because it burns out bulbs more often. Reduced-intensity low beams are allowed without ancillaries, but you can't dim HIDs. Reduced-intensity high beams are allowed without ancillaries, but a PWM module is required. Owners of new Subaru Imprezas are in exactly the same boat.

> My main beams are H7 55W bulbs with projection lens (I hope you
> understand what I mean :) . My High beams are HB3(9005) 60W and fog lights are H11 55W.

I do understand what you mean, but your terminology is improper. What you are calling the "main beams" are actually called the "low beams" in North America, the "dipped beams" elsewhere in the world. The other lamps are the "high beams" in North America, "main beams" elsewhere.

> I like the Xenon look but only if I can at least
> keep my lumens to a degree where I won't notice it while driving.

You can't. You can tint the light slightly towards blue (giving a "whiter" appearance) but you cannot even begin to approach "the Xenon look" without severe loss in luminous intensity.

> I was also told "The harness is very simple to install cleanly and its
> fully removable in minutes. Essentially it hooks the battery up to the
> lights through fuses and relays bypassing factory connectors etc. You
> can run 100+ w bulbs with that kind of setup."

Back up a moment. Which harness are we talking about?

> A lot of Canadian owners of the new Mazda 3 that wanted HIDs are trying to figure what we should do.

Well, if you want them badly enough, you can buy the Xenon headlamp
assemblies as installed on US Mazda3 cars. You'll have to disable your
factory DRL circuitry and install a separate DRL box such as the one from
www.webelectricmagazine.com .

As tough as it may be for you to believe, it is a gross error to modify your headlamps (even by the simple installation of a nonstandard bulb) simply to obtain a different appearance. Nobody thinks you're cool because your headlamps are extra white or slightly blue or green with pink dots or whatever, and *ALL* measures taken to "whiten" the output of a halogen bulb by coloring the glass reduce the headlamps' performance and increase glare.

That's not to say there's no option other than factory Xenon headlamps. There are several bulbs that appear whiter not because they have a light-stealing blue coating, but because they produce more light than what you're starting out with. But they are not all applicable to all H7 headlamps. I haven't yet tested a Mazda3 headlamp in the light tunnel, so I'm not sure of the form of the beam cutoff on low beam. If someone will provide me with a few photos of the beam pattern projected on a flat wall from 10 and 25 feet away, I can make some suggestions.

I sent him some pictures

DS: These photos are fine.

You can use the Osram Silverstar ultra high efficiency H7 bulb. This bulb, which is NOT the same as the North American market Sylvania Silverstar, is presently the top-performing legal H7 bulb in the world as confirmed by the AutoExpress headlamp bulb challenge in '01 and '03. It has no blue coating, but produces light that is whiter than the factory-installed long-life bulbs. Also *more* light for better performance.

They are $17/ea.

I hope that helps you guys because it sure helped me make up my mind :wink:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Damn, Thanks! I tried reading his site, but I've only gotten through a few pages still. Much more to go (like reading the carbuyingtips guide :wink: )

·
Registered
481 Posts
no xenons for Canada is purely a cost issue as Daniel alluded to... Mazda Canada would have to add a DRL module to the high beam bulbs to lower their intensity... lots of other OEMs do it but thats on much higher priced xenon equipped cars/suv's, not on a low profit econocar.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Running an upgraded bulb harness doesnt mean you cant melt your headlamp assemblies.

100w is essentially 2x the wattage the standard bulb puts out. I would personally stick to bulbs under 100w.. such as 85w. That is if you can find them.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sure that would work.

Anything with at least 12gauge fused. I would just make a harness at that price. All you need is some wire, relays, connectors and tools of the trade.

Good thing Im a certified 12v technician :D

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
M3-GT said:
vaBooM said:
Rub it in Rich... :wink: I have no clue how to install that harness lol.
Hehe

Ewww.... after looking at that Nokya, its a lame POS where you chop your factory harness and ADD theirs!! No Way, thats a crappy way to do it. And besides, how is that stepping up the voltage safely? Thats like saying a faucet is half way on, and you cut the end to put a bigger end on. It doesnt flow harder or faster. (assuming the end doesnt have a restriction)

I can help you wire it... if you plan to go with high wattage bulbs. But like Hoen says: 80w will, and I mean, will melt your housing sooner or later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been looking into getting xenon lights or retrofitting the headlights with US spec headlights.

But I've come to the realization that doing so in Canada will be a very tough process. The main obstacle to the DRL fuses, they are very hard to disable and once your get that completed, you now have an illegal car on the road. Many Mz6 CDN owners have had a hard time getting Xenons on the 6, the DRL fuses are very difficult to disengage.

I'm just going to leave my car stock.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vaBooM said:
M3-GT said:
vaBooM said:
Rub it in Rich... :wink: I have no clue how to install that harness lol.
But like Hoen says: 80w will, and I mean, will melt your housing sooner or later.
Well, I don't want that so I'll stay with stock wiring and use OSRAM Silverstar or Philips Vision Plus.

I'm saving my money for those exhaust kits that are bound to come out eventually.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I'm curious.

How are the NA Silverstars different from the rest of the world's? I currently have the NA versions....but I'm hoping that the "other" Silverstars are better.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I like the Silverstars. I had them in my Jetta. They looked 100% better than that PIAA hyper white crap.

Xenons are the leaders. All else will follow :D

M3-GT = does your housing have a projector or a typical reflector? I havent seen up close, a 3 without Xenon... so I wouldnt know.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Levitron said:
I'm curious.

How are the NA Silverstars different from the rest of the world's? I currently have the NA versions....but I'm hoping that the "other" Silverstars are better.
The difference is that the European Silverstar has (clear glass). The North american Silverstar is (slightly blue tinted) . The blue tint steals light!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vaBooM said:
M3-GT = does your housing have a projector or a typical reflector? I havent seen up close, a 3 without Xenon... so I wouldnt know.
The low beams are projectors and High beams reflectors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
VaBoom is right about melting your housings

I installed 85 watt PIAA bulbs in my 55 watt stock PIAA driving lights and I went for a 10 minute drive on the highway !! in the rain !! and when i got to the place i noticed the lights via the building in front of me pointing ia wierd direction, when i checked it out the housings looked like someone took a torch to them they were almost dripping down to the ground !! I had no idea they would be that much hotter..

Fuji :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts