• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I went to see a friend that has a performance shop to make me a custom exhaust line. I hadn't seen him for like 6 years and didn't think about him when I was looking to change my exhaust....Good thing my memory came back lol . So he installed a custom line with Reactive parts. :D

Nothing to drastic. I'm not the type that likes to be heard 3 blocks away. I love a deep low tone sound. I'm trying it like that for the moment but he said that he can make it louder if I change my mind.

I'm really happy with the work he has done. The guy has years of experience in prepping rally cars. There was an Audi there today that was still being worked on for the start of the North America Rally Championship. Anyway, just to say that I'm very pleased with what he had done.

I thought of you and here's some pics and a little video. The sound on the video is not as loud as in real life because the mic was too far away and sucked. But it gives you a good idea anyway. :wink:

The new muffler hehe

Part of the new line with the muffler

Oups! What have we here? That crappy stock muffler...ewww.

My friend working on the line.

Finishing touch! A new bigger tip! :D

Here's the link to the video (Be patient and you need broadband) AND yes the car is dirty from all the salt and the snow we keep getting :roll: : http://www.lux-design.com/m3/MZ3_REACTIVE.AVI

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sounds good - except that it sounds like it is sputtering....

Dunno.. I like it though. Not that I ever look under the car.. ;)

So what all changed?? Just the muffler through to the exhaust tip??

·
Registered
245 Posts
So all that changes is the sound right? Might be worth it in a case like yours where you know someone who can hook you up... but I don't think I'd pay much to get the sound changed.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJ Spencer said:
Sounds good - except that it sounds like it is sputtering....

Dunno.. I like it though. Not that I ever look under the car.. ;)

So what all changed?? Just the muffler through to the exhaust tip??
Sputtening? A little. Like rally cars. Quite normal. For the moment yes. The muffler through the exhaust tip....if you go and put headers...you have to worry about sensors and the ECU...Not the time to do that....the car is too new on the market.

·
Registered
526 Posts
does anyone have / know of a video w/ the stock exhaust sound on it? I haven't had a chance to test drive one so I don't know what the 2.3 sound like...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The sputtering is perfectly normal. Small engine blowing into a bigger tube. When you rev it up and let go the throttle plate closes and the engine will have to resume idle. But of course when your driving you wont hear it.

My Jetta used to pop like a Mustang with straight pipes. People told me sounded bad ass.

One design I dont like about custom exhaust is crush tube bending. It works and will gain performance, but not as much as mandrel bending. There arent very many shops that mandrel bend due to the cost of the machine.

Looks good and sounds good. Any gains noticed?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vaBooM said:
Looks good and sounds good. Any gains noticed?
Thanks Rich. Feels more prime. I think so but I know I didn't gain 20hp just with that. I'm sure headers and CAI would help also but can't do anything about the last two for now :(

I agree on the mandrel machine but he does great work anyway with the crush tube bending....Some other shop quoted me $1200 CDN for a line and they couldn't do it before march! Yeah, right...next!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I noticed if how much more air can freely be pushed out. That stock muffler is really restrictive.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
After driving my 3 decently hard, I find the restriction to be in the intake. The motor is clearly suffering at 4500 on up.

Intake & exhaust should boost the power up at least another 15hp.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I thought we decided there was some kind of limiter thingy in the ECU at 4500 rpms...

Don't you enjoy my technical jargon... :)

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vaBooM said:
After driving my 3 decently hard, I find the restriction to be in the intake. The motor is clearly suffering at 4500 on up.

Intake & exhaust should boost the power up at least another 15hp.
I agree. Next modif is defenitly a CAI when some from a good company comes out. I`m with you on the fact that the combo of the exhaust and a CAI should provide good results. At least now you can feel the air being less restricted while it is going through the exhaust. Now the motor needs to be able to breathe more easily....

Can't wait for a CAI now.... Maybe I'll have my buddy make me a custom one....we'll see. Anyone knows when one is supposed to show up?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My dad is best friends with the guy that owns a muffler shop here and all i have to buy is the materials
everything else is free
they have a mandrel bending machine also

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jebus said:
My dad is best friends with the guy that owns a muffler shop here and all i have to buy is the materials
everything else is free
they have a mandrel bending machine also
Well you just became everyone's best friend! :wink:

Seriously, you should take advantage of that. A machine like that is not available everywhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i like the sound,but i wouldnt cut my exhaust up,much perfer a cat back bolt on..made for the car, you wil have weak spots were it is welded
also waiting for a cai made for the car...injen,aem..so new it will take time
zoom zoom
the car is a deal..watch out honda

·
Registered
239 Posts
I might be getting a cat back on my car soon. So if it works out I can send you guys some info.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
smitty said:
i like the sound,but i wouldnt cut my exhaust up,much perfer a cat back bolt on..made for the car, you wil have weak spots were it is welded
also waiting for a cai made for the car...injen,aem..so new it will take time
zoom zoom
the car is a deal..watch out honda
Thanks for the compliment smitty.

Well even a made for the 3 cat back will be welded. Welding is an art and my fiends has so much experience that I know this thing isn't going anywhere. He does all the modification for the WRX club in Montreal and has been preping Rally cars for the North American Rally Championship for years. If his exhaust weldings hold on a rally car I think I'm safe ;) In time I can also decide to put on one from the big manufacturers when they come out which is going to be end of 2004 early 2005 in stores. They may say sooner on paper but in reality that's when they'll be out. Corksport has one from Autoexe on their site but surprise! You get get it until at least another 6 months...and even then I'll believe it when I see it in stock.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts