Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2010 Mazda 3I sport. The transmission was completely replaced a little over 2 years ago, including the TCM. In the last 3-4 months the TCM has been replaced 3 times. Granted, we've only had to pay once. The shop has replaced the valve body and all the shifter solenoids during this issue. They have told us this and that has also been looked at including the wiring harness. I'm at wits end. The warranty is through this shop. I really believe they are doing all they can. They are a reputable shop and have been in business for 30 plus years. What do I/they need to look at? Does the main computer influence the TCM? I have no idea where to start. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Presuming it's throwing OBD-II codes, you/we will want to know all of them. Every OBD-II code has a troubleshooting process, and if there are several codes, it can point to the nature of a failure.

Is the warranty on the transmission (how long), or the TCM (how long)?
Was it a rebuilt transmission? How many miles on the original transmission when you replaced it the first time?
What are the signs and symptoms you're experiencing?

If you're covered by a warranty and the shop keeps striking out, you may need to look into getting all or most of your money back so you can go elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. He did tell me it was the same code, but once he cleared it, it went away. This last time it would not clear. He then changed the valve body and solenoid's.
The original transmission acted like this also (105,000 miles +/-) We changed the TCM 1st. That didn't help. We did take it to another shop for a 2nd set of eyes (this one) They ran diagnostics and replaced the shifter solenoid for the 4th one(if I remember right) that lasted about a month. Then the complete transmission was replaced and lasted until about 3 months ago.

The transmission had 3 years unlimited miles.
The TCM had 1 year, which has been replaced twice in the last 3 months, and were bought from 2 different businesses.

I will ask again about the codes. Like I have told the owner, I'm a thinker, not a doer. He disagrees, but I feel like it's whatever is feeding into the TCM. I have no idea why, but I have asked him that and he just don't see it that way. I know he's as tired of seeing us as we are of being there. My daughter even asked what we were supposed to do if he couldn't fix it. He said that in 33 years of transmission work that this was the 1st one he had to get back into more than once, so he was going to order a complete assembly and replace.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a long shot, but worth a look. On my daughter's 2007 Mazda 3, the connector to the transmission, which has the signals for most of those solenoids, had an issue. What happened was the silicone seal that is in the connector shell and responsible for keeping water out, failed and, over time, water go into the connector. One of the pins completely disintegrated. In my case, it was the transmission oil temperature sensor pin. The connector that plugs into the transmission was the female connector, but the connector was not salvageable. I went to the junk yard and cut off a connector and soldered in into the wiring harness, which fixed the connector problem. I had to also replace the wiring harness inside the transmission since that's what had the pins coming out of the transmission.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The code is 753, and is electrical. He is trouble shooting with mfg of transmission on next step. Does this help?
Excuse my delay -- I'd missed your updates.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

With your recounting of those short failure intervals, I guess I'd want to be explicitly sure that the factory troubleshooting process was being exhausted. Then, if that's the case, and we're going round and round with failures, I'd be looking to get my money back so I could go elsewhere. What's a warranty worth if it doesn't deliver a fix in a reasonable timeframe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's been a week and all seems well. He did go through the trouble shooting process with the MFG, so maybe they found something. He did tell me to give it a week or so with no issues and he'd tell me what he did. Must have been something that was overlooked. He did reimburse my daughter 50.00 for the gas they ran out. I nice touch. Will let you guys know if it is finally fixed in a couple weeks. Let's hope!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts