Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a large lcd tv and i wanted to use it as my monitor as opposed to the 19" i've been using.

I have an nvidia video card with 2 DVI outputs
My tv has VGA and HDMI inputs
I bought a DVI to HDMI cord thinking i could plug and play

So i go through the nvidia multiple monitor/display wizard and settings and my TV refuses to show an image. My computer recognizes my tv (brand and model number etc). My tv even automatically goes to the HDMI input im using when my computer tries to display on it but after "searching for signal" it says "no input detected." My monitor even acts like there is another monitor in use (i.e. i can drag windows off the screen).

I read somewhere that its possible that some tvs do not recognize the PC resolution formats 1024 x 800 etc. I did some looking around in settings and found some options to recognize that the tv is 720p or 1080i (its actually 1080p but it should be able to display lower resolutions too right?)

I get to this point, like an hour and a half later, where i'm trying different resolutions and there is a preview button. The details say "don't know what resolution to use? click here to preview each one. If you do not see an image press esc to exit" so i click it, my monitor goes blank like its switching to the tv....but the tv doesn't show anything so i press esc. Still dont see anything. press again.....nothing. press more more more....faster faster....nothing.

I restart my computer. My first splash screen is ASUS and says "press tab to go to setup" stuff like that. It goes through the XP loadings splash screen and when thats done, where it should go to the login screen, my monitor cuts like its switching to another monitor and says "no input." still nothing on the tv

so the summary of the story is that my PC display is stuck in limbo somewhere. Am i going to be able to change my display settings without seeing a display? Can i start it in safe mode and bypass the video card settings? Is there something in the BIOS i can change? At this point im thinking i might have to take my harddrive out, turn it into an external hdd to save my goods, place a new one in the tower and reboot or something. The mother board looks like its got a VGA output (same size as vga) but its a male end which i thought was weird and the cord i have is two male ends which i thought was standard.

feel free to tell me i'm screwed but help is preferred :lol:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think the way I solved my problems:
Go to Device Manager and delete all of the monitors, restart the computer (with just the computer monitor plugged in), set up the first monitor using Windows display manager, plug in the HDTV, detect monitors, and make adjustments in Windows first. Then tweak the settings using nVidia software. I haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=agm_ultimatex link=topic=108220.msg2218335#msg2218335 date=1207762458]
The male end one you probably see is the serial port. Which isn't used for much of any thing any more. Im guessing you have both monitors just plugged in to the back, did you try booting with just your 19"?
[/quote]

yeah i have booted with my 19" but i will check with the monitor plugged into both ports

[quote author=antricparticle link=topic=108220.msg2218556#msg2218556 date=1207766278]
I think the way I solved my problems:
Go to Device Manager and delete all of the monitors, restart the computer (with just the computer monitor plugged in), set up the first monitor using Windows display manager, plug in the HDTV, detect monitors, and make adjustments in Windows first. Then tweak the settings using nVidia software. I haven't had any problems since.
[/quote]

i'd try it if i could get an image to see what i was clicking on lol

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You may want to try a DVI to VGA converter. I have mine working fine with an 8800GTS running DVI-HMDI to my 50" Panny in 720p and had it up on my roommates 42" Sharp running 1080p fine. Never had any problems. I was running an X800 on the same setup before I got this.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=antricparticle link=topic=108220.msg2219741#msg2219741 date=1207793642]
What kind of motherboard doesn't have a build in vga port? Have you tried that one instead of the plugs in the video card?
[/quote]

Motherboards without a onboard video card. My Gigabyte P35 doesn't have a VGA port.

Anyway, I have a 8800GTX and occasionally run my 50" LG as a display, but I had the same troubles as you, and ended up using a VGA port. But, with the latest drivers, it works under HDMI pretty puch flawlessly. So uninstall all your drivers and install the latest build.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=108220.msg2220917#msg2220917 date=1207842458]
[quote author=antricparticle link=topic=108220.msg2219741#msg2219741 date=1207793642]
What kind of motherboard doesn't have a build in vga port? Have you tried that one instead of the plugs in the video card?
[/quote]

Motherboards without a onboard video card. My Gigabyte P35 doesn't have a VGA port.

Anyway, I have a 8800GTX and occasionally run my 50" LG as a display, but I had the same troubles as you, and ended up using a VGA port. But, with the latest drivers, it works under HDMI pretty puch flawlessly. So uninstall all your drivers and install the latest build.

Hope that helps!
[/quote]

my motherboard is ASUS P5B deluxe

I think i decided to go without on board video bc i knew id get a videocard (i built my PC). I asked my schools tech help and they suggested getting a DVI to VGA adapter. I am first going to start in safe mode and see what i can do from there. once i get the display up again i will search for any drivers on my videocard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts