Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to tighten my E-Brake.. is there a tensioner where the handle is on the interior like integras?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
yeah, pop off the little 1 inch by 1 inch tab by where the e-brake lever meets up with the plastic center console. There's a nut in there you tighten

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm in the same boat...just had a brake job done.... My E-brake isn't holding to well , groans and creak on my driveway sometimes even moves when I try to get out of the car (my drive way has a pretty nice slant)
I checked the nut in my middle console after poping off the cover..and I can tighten/lossen the nut with my fingers! so it's loose....
But What I really wanna know is ....I have 2 Deep set socket sets total of about 60 sockets or so.....and not one of those deep set sockets fix the nut.....so I can't tighten the nut.
does anyone know what size socket that Nut needs in order for me to tighten it?
I have tried 7-9mm and 5/16th anlong with some others.....
Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it was designed for a special tool to use to get in there.. I'll call the dealership when I get off work to see if they'll tell me anything.

Edit - My friend has a Mazda3 as well... I checked his ebrake (ATX).. and ONE click to lock!! while mine is about 9 clicks!!! I even tested it out on the road.. It's almost impossible to lock the ebrake while in motion in my 3..

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
For better access to the area, just open the armrest compartment, and then pull up the cupholder section of the center console. It pops right out, and lets you get right down in there.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
according to the manual it should be 4-6 clicks.

like dmention said, just remove the center console, it makes it much easier.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No need for a special tool. I have done it on my mother in laws twice and brother in laws once. Just need a deep socket....I think a 5/16ths. Thighten it a few turns and then test it. Oh and go for the 4-6 clicks lock. Anything less and you run the risk of riding your E-brake which is a no no. Also as demention7 said, pop the center console off for better access.

~Saint

·
Registered
860 Posts
Don't know why mine was different but it was a deep socket 10mm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts