Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a pretty long story to tell. I need to know if there's any potential for a lawsuit in this. I'm very upset and don't know what to do.

I bought my 3 used from Mazda of Lodi about a month and a half to two months ago. A little while after, I started noticing the car was making an odd squeaking sound from the rear wheels every now and then. Eventually one night it got so bad, I heard my right rear tire actually wobbling. The car would swerve left and right. I pull over and realize that two keylock bolts/nuts on the right rear tire are just gone. Not on. And they were on when I bought the car.
I limp home slowly, and affix two old bolts from my 96 camrys wheels onto it. I torque on the bolts with the tool my mazda came with, and go on my way, thinking that it was just a dumb ole' problem anyway.
So anyway, I one night home from work I hit a pretty deep pothole. Nothing seems TOO wrong, I get out, check my car everythings AOK yadda yadda etc etc.

So as the next few weeks progress, I notice my cars steering getting lighter and lighter, the wobbling starts returning, and the car steering would list HEAVILY to the right (The front right tire hit the pothole, the back right is just being fucked up. I drive and hear "wubba wubba wubba". Not all the time, but just when I think it's okay, it's gone.)

I also notice that my front tires are pretty fucking worn, so I decide I'll rotate em myself, and get an alignment as soon as possible. I try to do this, when I notice that the bolt-torque tool that came with my car does not fit the wheel locks. There is no key for the car to have the tires taken off AT ALL. (Also, the car had no engine cover.....)

So I eventually pony up 11 bucks for another wheel lock, and decide to have my alignment done as soon as possible. This is getting BAD now. The car would randomly jerk to one side or another, the steering would suddenly turn and lock and require me to pull it hard back into line. Corners had to be taken slow or I would careen to my doom.

So I take my car to R.S. Strauss to get it all fixed up and aligned. They take a long while to do it, so I look in even closer to see whats going on.

It seems that on the right rear wheel, the previous owner must have bolted on some aftermarket wheel or something stupid like WAAAAAYYYY too hard, and a piece of pretty thick circular metal was straight-rusted directly to the wheel connecter. It was blue like it had been spray-painted. This caused the tire to not be able to be fit correctly. They let the tires on the car fucking go on crooked.

The guy tells me that had I been driving it for much longer, my wheel would have just fallen off. (Notice how I said bolts were missing one night earlier. The wheel is literally forcing them off.) It was lucky when I came in and did, or I would have had a wicked accident (Irony for later in the story) He has to take a blow-torch and torch the thing off because he couldn't seperate it with a hammer and chisel.

So anyway, they finally fix it, my friend and I have been waiting for four hours, and we finally get ready to go with our shiny new wheel alignment.

But the story gets worse.

I'm driving 60 mph on the highway when I hear it again. "wooba wooba wooba". Then PSHEW my car suddenly jerks hard to the right, almost nails a white sedan in the lane next to me. I counter steer and overshoot and almost nail a gaurdrail. I manage to flash my hazards and pull over. I immediately stop and get out to see wtf was happening. I pull out my keylock and go to the front right tire and I see it.

They fucking FORGOT to torque a bolt! I mean what the FUCK! I almost died because of this shit?

So I get out and fucking torque the bolt myself, and then limp slowly back to the auto store(I couldn't torque it hard enough and the wobble kept coming back and threatening to shoot my car into the nearest lane at any speed above 30).

I get in there, tell them to retorque all my bolts, and make sure everything is FINE and I'll be back to discuss it tommorow.

And get this, after driving it for a while, I think they might have torqued them TOO hard and I'm pretty sure they are gonna cause my rotors to warp.

UG.

This is the fault of my Mazda dealership for not telling me that wheels would keep shooting off bolts, and the fault of this damn R.S. Strauss for almost getting me killed due to negligence.

What are my recourses of action? Can I at LEAST try and get the dealership to pay me for my alignment? It was their fault I had to get this checked.

I'm still under warranty too, but only for like 500 more miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just thought I had hit a pothole and needed an alignment. I was told alignments aren't covered under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This may help out from my law class:

Ever heard of a 'Bilateral Mistake?' It's were two parties negotiate terms without either party knowing of the 'factual error,' in your case the faulty wheels. Since this error is important to the contract between you and the dealership, the injuried party - you - allows you to recind/reject the contract/sale.

Do keep in mind court is expensive and time-consuming.

Hope you can at least get your incurred costs covered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts