Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sad :( I just got a brand new replacement windshield. Slapped my existing PIAA wiper on which hasn't been replaced for about 1.5 years now (replacing that tomorrow). Applied Rain X on the windshield. Then when it wipes, it leaves this diagonal line mark from the 19" wiper (passenger side) when it fully wipes up. Also the 21" wiper (driver side) leaves a mark on the left side of the wiper. It's hard to explain. When the windshield is dry, it's invisible. When it's wet, the water around that line seem to bond together and form a stream if that makes any sense. You can also noticeably see it when the wiper wipes as Rain X creates this blurry effect for a few seconds. The line area does not blur. Lastly, I tried feeling that area with my hand and it is noticeably smoother than the other parts of the glass.

Is this considered water mark? What is this called? Excessive silicone build-up? What's funny is with my old windshield, I applied the PIAA wiper pack and Rain X a few months later and it never had that problem. The only difference between the old windshield and this one is that 1) I did not apply the PIAA preparation pack, 2) I never washed the windshield yet with soap/wax.

I tried Stoner's invisible glass, 70% isopropyl alcohol and claybar. Didn't work :(

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I am really bummed as I just got a new windshield and its f*cked already :(

Thanks!

dL

·
Registered
15 Posts
It would seem like you have a serious film build up. Sprinkle some Bar Keepers Friend on it, use a wet sponge or cloth and scrub in a circular motion. Then rinse and dry off. What this does is remove the oils and stuff that get attracted to the windshield. Don't reapply any rain-x or anythinguntil you see if this solved your problem. Then and only then use Rain-x.
See how that works. IF it doesn't do any better, don't drive in the rain.

http://yhst-55367440605114.stores.yahoo.net/barkefrpo.html
You can get this stuff at Walmart or any grocery store

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i have that same thing (maybe not as severe) and I never treated my window with anything.
i would try Megs cleaner wax (gently). I use the same for water spots....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aright here's an update. So I refilled my PIAA wiper blade piece and reapplied the PIAA preparation pack, and it seems to have sorta solved the problem. The spot is not as noticeable now but is still there. Oh well... would glass polishing work?

dL

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=mazdasrslow link=topic=135974.msg2929410#msg2929410 date=1234375800]
It would seem like you have a serious film build up. Sprinkle some Bar Keepers Friend on it, use a wet sponge or cloth and scrub in a circular motion. Then rinse and dry off. What this does is remove the oils and stuff that get attracted to the windshield. Don't reapply any rain-x or anythinguntil you see if this solved your problem. Then and only then use Rain-x.
See how that works. IF it doesn't do any better, don't drive in the rain.

http://yhst-55367440605114.stores.yahoo.net/barkefrpo.html
You can get this stuff at Walmart or any grocery store
[/quote]

Which Bar Keeper Friends?

dL

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
good lawd i didn't realize what those wiper blades do (putting more film down each wipe) :lol:
such a n00b....

yes, i would try the cleaner wax (or the cleanser). as you suspect, i also think skipping the prep caused a build-up of the coating from the wiper at the stopping point. since i haven't used anything but cleaner wax myself (and some glass polish in a pink can years ago) i can't recommend anything else. whatever you use, try it on some old car first :p

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Do not put Rain-X on your car. What Rain-X does is wash off your windshield an on to your paint. Rain-X will strip wax!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I learned my lesson. I will never buy Rain X again. In fact, I returned it :lol:

dL

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry, I'm sure this windshield wont last long. I've had about 5 small rocks hit my windshield today already. OMFG!

dL

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=raitchison link=topic=135974.msg2934508#msg2934508 date=1234546402]
A possible simple solution is to get a bucket of HOT soapy water and try scrubbing your windshield with that.
[/quote]

But if isopropyl and vinegar didn't do it, I doubt this method would.

dL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts