Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, yeah, call me a sellout...I really want a AT /c I'm tired of the stop n go in traffic, but I'm concerned with power loss generally associated with an automatic. I've driven the 2.3 3s hatchback on 2 seperate occasions, and got the majority of my driving impressions on the second drive. Here's what I observed:

The AT did quite well on flat/downhill roads, shifting beautifully and smoothly, almost invisible. However, uphill acceleration, whether from a dead stop or at speed, seemed to suffer considerably - it dropped gears fairly abruptly and was pretty whiney going up the hill. The car seemed to lose a lot of power up hills.

Question to AT owners (if there are any!!): am I nit-picking, or is this a common complaint with the automatic in this car?

Don't get me wrong, I'm searching, reaching for things that may bother me about this car in the long run. Overall it's a stellar perforer - a wonderfully balanced car worthy of all the praise :D

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I settled for the AT transmission because I've never driven a MT before.
All my cars (1964 Chevy Belair, 1988 Chevy Nova Hatchback, 1996 Toyota Corolla Sedan (2002 Chevy Cavalier Coupe) have been AT transmissions.

I think between the AT and MT, uphill accel. always suffers, however, I don't think the AT MZ3 is all that bad at getting up those hills. I live on a mountain and travel it to work daily with 3 or 4 big hills. I never hafta push it or floor it....gets up those hills nicely without going over 60 MPH.

I like the convenience of an AT. If your ever tired, had a few beers, multitasking in the car, or just want to relax in stop/go traffic...AT are better in my opinion.

From what I've heard, nothing beats the experience of an MT on open road though.

AT is okay with me. Plus, the sportsshift is fun to play with!

·
Registered
273 Posts
i am getting the auto no matter what
i use my car to drive form point a to point b and the auto was plenty fun for me
and i drove up a large hill of my test drive and i didnt notice anythign liek that

·
Registered
105 Posts
ImportLuva4Life said:
If your ever tired, had a few beers, multitasking in the car, or just want to relax in stop/go traffic...AT are better in my opinion.
Jeezus...you and a Auto tranny sounds down-right dangerous...to the rest of us. Hopefully you don't relax too much, whilst multitasking in the car after having a few brew.

vermin

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well, the AT will always have higher drivetrain power losses than a MT, but it still hauls up and down hills quite well. As for other considerations, it robs some gas mileage, but it does add some convenience, especially on hills and in traffic. What it all comes down to is personal choice. Either way, you'll get a great car, that loves to be driven, and you'll love to drive.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I say it depends on whether you intend on actually using the extra "Ouumphh" that you get out of the manual tranny. If you don't plan on doing a drag here and there or racing or actually pushing the car just for the fun of it. Why bother getting the 5spd?

I personally want to have FUN with my future '3' and that's why I am getting a 5spd even though I have never owned a manual tranny car.

By the way, I don't have to deal with traffic, hills or anything that would make me want an Auto instead of the manual.

Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
yea, florida sees snow once every 20 some odd years, I havent seen it down here. I was in the blizzard of '95 in new york though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I've ALWAYS had a manual, so going to an auto will be a big change for me. I think I'm probably just being overanalytical, because it sounds like you guys don't have any probems....

I'm going to take it for another drive or 2 before I buy anyway :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer Auto simply because I don't like having to use one hand for shifting all the time (I like driking my morning coffee from a travel mug during my commute - one of life's simple pleasures). Plus my wife will drive the car from time to time, and she doesn't want a manual.

I can't address your hill question. Haven't driven on one yet.

Most driving enthusiasts will slam the AT and extole the virtues of the manual, and I'm sure the manual is "more fun". But for me, the 2.3l GT AT is plenty peppy enough and I have no reservations recommending it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A lot of discussions around this topic. I guess is much easier to answer. In general, if you consider driving as the way of moving from point a to point b, you need an AUTO. If you consider driving a thing you like, and want to do better... go with MANUAL. With manual you feel the car, you can get the best from it (actually is the only way), and will take you out of many shitty situations (as skidding, getting out of snow, or downshifting when you're giving it some gas)...
Hope will help to decide on what to choose.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you know how to drive a manual and it doesn't irritate you, then you will enjoy the benefit of having at least an additional 10hp delivered to the wheels and a 5-10% improvement in gas mileage. You will save $800-900 on the price. And, as noted above, have more control over the car.

With the AT you will have less hassle while driving in stop & go traffic.

My test drive of the Mz3 w/auto showed me that it still has pretty good performance and the autostick gives one much more control over their gearing when on the twisty turnies as compared to a typical auto.

Many cars targeted at driving enthusiasts don't even offer auto as an option. Such as the Toyota Celica GTS, the older Acura Integra GS-R, Acura RSX Type-S, Honda Civic Si, Ford Focus SVT, and many more.

I believe Mazda is building only about 25% of the Mz3 hatchbacks with auto.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even though I'm new to MT on a full time basis, It really is fun, it's statisfying, the car rewards you for something done right. AT is only if you have to use the car only or mainly for the commute to work. (just one man's opinion).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'd agree to PhillyM3. I'm gonna go away from automatic as soon as I can.
It's convenient, but you don't get to really "be one" with the car :p

·
Registered
882 Posts
Love driving 5 Speeds but the commute and many other factors tie me into driving an Auto. I like it though, the Auto in the 3 is pretty darn good and the manual shift mode is enough to give me a bit of fun here and there. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with cowtown. The manual mode (Sport AT) is quite fun. I use it pretty frequently in areas where the road is a bit windy and 3rd gear is plenty for it.

Plus, when I get a phone call... I can always switch the manual mode back to fully automatic!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wow... people really like the Sportmatic, eh?? :)

Is it "almost" as good as the actual 5-speed manual?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts