Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time snowing real hard and me being careless and driving on bald tires resulted into something major. Ran into curb while wheels were turned partially. Wheel is not bent and goes straight but upon furthur inspection it was pushed back parallel almost touching the fender. hard to see since it was dark. I'm thinking bent control arm. Friend suggested its going to cost over $1000 which is my deductible. really dont want my insurance to go up. any help.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Re: HELP! Ran into curb PIC!

the pic looks like ass, nothing is discernable at all.
If the wheel is pushed back it is most likely a bent control arm and/or strut. These items should easily be replaced for less than a grand.

·
Registered
73 Posts

as he^ said pic sucks.

but controll arms don't cost 1k.
thing you wouldn't like is a bent axle. but that would make it ride all lumpy.

tell us the symptoms?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts

this happend to me...i can make your day...

i went through bagman1 on the site...go to onlinemazdaparts.com and call and talk to jason...tell him jake with the turbo in miami told you to call...all the parts cost me less than 500$...and you can do the majority of the install yourself...what i did was went to mazda and got them to tell me what i needed and then ordered from jason (bagman1)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i wasnt even going 10mph. maybe 5mph at most just sliding and trying to stop with e brake. should have just rode over the curb. the car moves fine. i had to park it furthur away so i drove it and turned steering all the way to left and right no rubbing. didnt want to drive it back like that since home was 40min away. how bad is it to drive with a bent control arm i mean its driveable. im trying to get roadside assistance to tow it to the nearest dealer which is 4mi away.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

You'll probably get some bad tire wear if done over a long time, but you should be fine just driving it home.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Jack up the front end and take out both wheels... compare both side and see is it really the Controll Arm... and what else is wrong before call anyone or order any part...

But it usually is the controll arm got all the demage first to protect the subframe...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Ouch, I used photoshop to get a brighter pic. Looks bad. Good luck getting it fixed!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

how much am i looking at? need to get this done asap need car for work. tried to brighten pic to see the spacing.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts

your dealership will want alot. trust me when i say PM bagman1 and tell him i sent you. this happened to me and he is the best. i spent like 400 max getting all the parts and did the install myself...i spent 25$ having someone press the hub and bearing together...its simple...you take off the wheel..unbolt everything..take damage parts off...put new parts on...get an allignment...DONE :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

looked for prices on some of these parts.
Lower Arm around $90
Strut $100
Tie Rod $50
Hubs with ABS $130

called up a shop and dude quoted me $300 for lower arm replacement. so thats $200 just for labor. i wouldnt mine doing this myself unfortunately im living at an apt temporarily for a job and the car is located 40mi away from my apt. i need the car for work.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

wow, same type of thing happened to me, only far worse so dont feel too bad lol. on mine the whole wheel tore off from the lower control arm, cv shaft pulled straight out, luckily it was tested and not bent. insurance covered it, however it was very expensive, ill look to see if i cant get a hold of the paperwork to show all the details but the dealer took an assload and a month to repair it all. they also said something about the suspension harness being messed up and needing replaced so they did that too, not sure about the strut but im sure it was messed up. they had to replace one wheel and tire causing slight pull to the right, and i have this annoying bumpy feeling just on normal driving like 30 miles an hour, so i want to take it somewhere to make sure everything was done properly cuz something just seems off. if u can do it, i really suggest doing it urself so u dont end up in a situation like im in.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts

it shouldnt be more than 200$ labor total as all of these parts go on together...alot of places try to add labor for each part but they all overlay. DO NOT pay more than 200 for the install...also...ordre from jason...he'll hook u up (bagman1)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

dropped my car off at some shop that was right down the road. going to call me with an estimate tomorrow. me and my friend lifted the car up with the spare jack. control arm was def bended pretty bad. strut seemed out of line. axle was kinked up. tie rod bent. waiting to see how much the cost will be. I actually plan on towing it back if cost is way too high. i got access to tools through a co worker.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

The nightmare begins when you have the car fixed and you realize it just isn't same... Which happened to a couple of my friends who got their cars fixed and ended up selling it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Boooo awful tire setups in awful weather territory!
Go snow tires or go home! Hope you get it fixed soon :D P.S., you need winters. I've driven in deep assed snow with my winters and never had a problem

1 - 20 of 23 Posts