Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished doing a swap on mazda 3 from a 2005 2.3 to 2004 2.0. Used the 2.3 wiring harness, computer and all the sensors everything connected smoothly. The problem I am havings is no spark at the coils. Checked everything and nothing comes up. Change crankshaft position sensor did timing and still same problem. Do i have to put in the 2.3 harmonic balancer so that the ECU reads the CKP?? Anyone had this problem before? What is the posible cause?? Do the harmonic balancers change between 2.3 and to 2.0?? Should i just used the wiring harness and the ECU from the 2.0?

·
Registered
561 Posts
You would definitely need to 2.0 ECU.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When swapping the engine, you need to transfer basically everything on the external block from the 2.3 to the 2.0. This would include obviously the harmonic balancer. The ECU has no idea what size the volume of the cylinder is, so that should not affect whether you have spark or not. You also need to make sure that the camshaft sensor is the same on both engines. There was a change around 2004-2005 on the 2.3 so you'll just have to compare yours. You can gain a lot of info by researching the 2.3-2.5 swap threads as this has been done far more often than the downgrade you are doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When swapping the engine, you need to transfer basically everything on the external block from the 2.3 to the 2.0. This would include obviously the harmonic balancer. The ECU has no idea what size the volume of the cylinder is, so that should not affect whether you have spark or not. You also need to make sure that the camshaft sensor is the same on both engines. There was a change around 2004-2005 on the 2.3 so you'll just have to compare yours. You can gain a lot of info by researching the 2.3-2.5 swap threads as this has been done far more often than the downgrade you are doing.
I did. I used the wiring harness, all the sensors, and the ECU of the 2.3 and put it in the 2.0 only thing i didn't change was the harmonic balancer because i think they're the same. Cam sensor and crank sensor are the same. I've been told that i might have ground issues but I checked and they seem all connected. Don't know if I am missing one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just finished doing a swap on mazda 3 from a 2005 2.3 to 2004 2.0. Used the 2.3 wiring harness, computer and all the sensors everything connected smoothly. The problem I am havings is no spark at the coils. Checked everything and nothing comes up. Change crankshaft position sensor did timing and still same problem. Do i have to put in the 2.3 harmonic balancer so that the ECU reads the CKP?? Anyone had this problem before? What is the posible cause?? Do the harmonic balancers change between 2.3 and to 2.0?? Should i just used the wiring harness and the ECU from the 2.0?
I'm confused about mixed language with what you did. Did you:
A.) Put a 2004 2.0L engine into a 2005 that had a 2.3L?
B.) Put a 2005 2.3L engine into a 2004 that had a 2.0L?

Despite your post title, it sounds like you upgraded to a 2.3L in the 2004 (since you say "Used the 2.3 wiring harness, computer..."). I'll do some investigating, but it'd help if you clarified which swap you did.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's info about evaluating the coils, but the factory service manual's troubleshooting for 'crank no start' is much more comprehensive. It does crank [normally]? In any case, have a look at this info, and see if you've got B+ voltage at Terminal A of each coil.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
You said you did the timing, but gave no details. It is a simple but also complex task on these engines to get it correct. Also, the crankshaft position sensor has to be indexed to a specific tooth on the crankshaft pulley, assuming you even have the correct pulley on there.

Here is a video showing briefly some of the steps, but certainly not all:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confused about mixed language with what you did. Did you:
A.) Put a 2004 2.0L engine into a 2005 that had a 2.3L?
B.) Put a 2005 2.3L engine into a 2004 that had a 2.0L?

Despite your post title, it sounds like you upgraded to a 2.3L in the 2004 (since you say "Used the 2.3 wiring harness, computer..."). I'll do some investigating, but it'd help if you clarified which swap you did.
I had a 2004 2.0 engine and bought a 2005 mazda 3 with a 2.3 that overheated so i put in the 2005 mazda 3 the 2.0
You said you did the timing, but gave no details. It is a simple but also complex task on these engines to get it correct. Also, the crankshaft position sensor has to be indexed to a specific tooth on the crankshaft pulley, assuming you even have the correct pulley on there.

Here is a video showing briefly some of the steps, but certainly not all:

Thats what I did. Thats why I'm asking if the crankshaft pulley change between 2.3 and 2.0 because that's the only thing i haven't replaced.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Odds are you either forgot to reconnect something, you have the crankshaft position sensor aligned with the wrong tooth, or you have the wrong crankshaft pulley. Since none of us were there when you did the work, and your descriptions are kinda hard to follow at times. We are also having to trust your description that you don't have spark. Have you verified that this is true rather than lack of fuel? When we swapped our 2.3-2.5 at first it wouldn't start. I went round and round thinking it was the spark plugs or coils. Turns out the donor engine had clogged fuel injectors with I verified by starting the car with starter fluid. After this confirmed that I did indeed have spark, I swapped over the old fuel injectors from the 2.3 and all has been perfect since then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odds are you either forgot to reconnect something, you have the crankshaft position sensor aligned with the wrong tooth, or you have the wrong crankshaft pulley. Since none of us were there when you did the work, and your descriptions are kinda hard to follow at times. We are also having to trust your description that you don't have spark. Have you verified that this is true rather than lack of fuel? When we swapped our 2.3-2.5 at first it wouldn't start. I went round and round thinking it was the spark plugs or coils. Turns out the donor engine had clogged fuel injectors with I verified by starting the car with starter fluid. After this confirmed that I did indeed have spark, I swapped over the old fuel injectors from the 2.3 and all has been perfect since then.
I did check the fuel injectors. I even used the 2.3 fuel injectors. Im trying to see if I missed connection somewhere. I thought that I had the crank sensor timing done right but now im having second thoughts because the crank pulley is mark at tooth 9 and researching info some say at number 5 others at tooth 20. Do you perhaps know at what tooth should the crank sensor be aligned in a 2.3 engine? I think that should be the correct timing since im using the 2.3 ECU

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I did check the fuel injectors. I even used the 2.3 fuel injectors. Im trying to see if I missed connection somewhere. I thought that I had the crank sensor timing done right but now im having second thoughts because the crank pulley is mark at tooth 9 and researching info some say at number 5 others at tooth 20. Do you perhaps know at what tooth should the crank sensor be aligned in a 2.3 engine? I think that should be the correct timing since im using the 2.3 ECU
How are you adjusting the crank sensor timing? I ask because there is no way that there is enough adjustment in the sensor slots to allow the sensor to line up with more than one of those teeth you mentioned, at worse you will be 1 tooth off. Are you rotating the harmonic balancer and torquing it down to set the timing instead of moving the sensor, because that is very wrong and most likely why it isn't starting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts