Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I'm a 100% a newb when it comes to car audio (never installed, or even seen an installation in progress, just stuff I've read here and elsewhere on the internet).
2. I'm keeping the factory HU, want to replace front speakers with components, add a 10" sub, and a single amp to power it all.
3. Looking to spend between $500-$750 not including wiring/other little things, and I'm gonna try and install this myself.
4. If an amp has speaker level inputs, should I still get a line output converter just in case I decide to upgrade one day, that way I wouldn't have to rewire from the headunit to the amp again?
5. What else might I need? Will the speaker/sub/amp combo below even work?
6. My goal isn't a loud obnoxious audio system, just a sound quality upgrade.
7. Feel free to make recommendations on different speakers, subs, and amps, plus anything else I might be forgetting.
8. Thanks for taking the time to read/help me out.

Here's some of the products I've been looking at:

Amp:

Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series
4-channel car amplifier
50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (75 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
150 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
variable high-pass/low-pass filters (50-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
selectable bass boost (12 dB at 50 Hz)
subsonic filter (15 Hz, 18 dB/octave for channels 3 & 4)
MOSFET power supply
CEA-2006 compliant
STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
speaker- and preamp-level inputs
gold-plated screw terminals
fuse rating: 25A x 2
8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
10-11/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 9-9/16"D

Subwoofer:

JL Audio 10w1v2-4
10" 4-ohm subwoofer
metallic-finish polypropylene cone with nitrile-butylene rubber surround
power range: 50-300 watts RMS
peak power handling: 600 watts
frequency response: 25-250 Hz
sensitivity: 84.53 dB
top-mount depth: 4-7/16"
sealed box volume: 0.625 cubic feet
ported box volume: 1.0 cubic foot
Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1, 2

Front Speakers:

Infinity Kappa 680.9cs
5"x7"/6"x8" component speaker system includes woofers, tweeters, and crossovers
2-ohm impedance for extra power (compatible with all factory or aftermarket car stereos)
Plus One® woven-glass-fiber woofer cone with hi-roll rubber surround
1" ultra-high frequency textile dome tweeter with I-Mount™ and Starfish™ for multiple mounting options
2-way external crossover network with tweeter level adjustment
direct-connect crossover dongle
power range: 2-90 watts RMS (270 watts peak power)
frequency response: 40-35,000 Hz
sensitivity: 93 dB
woofer top-mount depth: 2-1/2"

·
Registered
359 Posts
It looks like you've made a great start in your research - from what I can tell the components you've selected will work very well together. I know because its very similar to what I'm running!

I have that Alpine amp, and love it. I'm running a 12" Image Dynamics sub off the rear channels, and JBL Power 6.5" components off the front, all at 4ohms. I can't imagine needing more power at this point.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry about the LOC since the amp takes speaker line inputs. Worry about it if you do decide to upgrade, for now its just less wiring and components.

I would recommend looking at 6.5" speakers. Accepted wisdom states that the round speakers are much better at providing clean response than oval ones, they are more efficient because of the round shape (sound waves propogate in circles). Some speakers come with 6x8 adapters, or you can get them separately. If you're going for coaxials, look for tweeters which have an adjustable angle; otherwise look at components where you can place the tweeters in the sail panels etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I just noticed that I left out what brand sub and speakers I was looking at... so I fixed that.

If going for a sound quality upgrade, would it be okay to get good speakers, and an alright sub, or should I get something a sub a little more, I don't know, equal?

Also, the LOC would only be necessary in the future if I decide to upgrade my HU right? Would there be any difference in the sound quality between rca's and the speaker wires?

·
Registered
413 Posts
[quote author=ZeroNine3 link=topic=140021.msg3019171#msg3019171 date=1238095771]
If going for a sound quality upgrade, would it be okay to get good speakers, and an alright sub, or should I get something a sub a little more, I don't know, equal?

Also, the LOC would only be necessary in the future if I decide to upgrade my HU right? Would there be any difference in the sound quality between rca's and the speaker wires?
[/quote]

an LOC like speedbump has said, is only necessary when you have the OEM headunit because you dont have RCA jacks in the back of your headunit, and aftermarkets do... thats basic but it should help you understand it... with that being said, if you have an amp with inputs for speaker wire, then your okay and dont need one, but those dont come around all that often... hope i didnt confuse you, i may have made it too basic.

as for the cheap sub, more sub part of the question, its preference... id ask what your musical taste is... if your more into rap and hip hop with a lot of low ends, you would want to spend more money on the sub... but if your a rock guy, then put the money into the speakers... thats basic but i hope it sends across the point...

hope that helps... if your more confused now, forget everything i said lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts