Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Mazda3 Forum!

A coworker of mine just picked up a 2k8 MS3 with just under 40k on the odometer.

It's got some work done to it, and though I'm not a stranger to the tuning world, I'm admittedly naive regarding MS3 tuning, and I'd really appreciate some info.

Here's the rundown on the car:
I'm assuming it's an early-build 2008 because it's Cosmic Blue.
It's the Sport and not the Touring.
It seems to be in pretty decent shape.
It just threw a CEL.

I'm thinking the CEL came from the fact that the car has a TurboXS BOV, and though I haven't driven it or heard it driving around, I'm assuming that said BOV is just a BOV and has no recirculating function. There's also a cone intake, though it's not a CAI (sucking hot air, FTW). The top-mount intercooler was swapped out in favor of an absolutely massive FMIC (seems to take up the whole of the front bumper area, and that seems like it'd cause more of a pressure-drop than one would want, but I could be wrong). There's an AutoMeter boost gauge installed in the far left vent.

I'm a little concerned with the sort of oily funk that's on the top of the engine, but I imagine that could be a product of the BOV and would also explain the fuel smell in the engine bay.

I don't know of any easy way to check for an aftermarket chip, but I'd love some input on that -- and if there's no simple way to confirm that visually, I could always take the car for a quick spin and see how much boost it's making (how many pounds do MS3s boost to stock?).

Is it safe to assume my non-CAN-bus diagnostic gear will be useless?

I'll try to get pics up ASAP.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
871 Posts
yea running a BOV in VTA will throw that CEL.

·
Registered
161 Posts
[quote author=AxeYrCat link=topic=135506.msg2917329#msg2917329 date=1233938499]
(how many pounds do MS3s boost to stock?).
[/quote]

stock ms3's run 16 psi.

good luck and can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Uhh yea it will lol, it threw the CEL in my car and soybeans car

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
running VTA creates a rich fuel mix just after blowoff.... could cause a CEL if it is outside acceptable parameters.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Turbo Smart Dual Port Ran 100% VTA for 4 Months 0 CEL 4 Months Hybrid 0 CEL Going back to VTA when I get my SB.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sounds like a TurboXS FMIC for sure. The only core that filles the grill completely. As for VTA, I ran for 4 months no CEL. Back to recirc now though. With those mods, the car will have a boost spike, and settle to 15.6psi if on stock ECU. It would be good to get something like a Dashawk and post a log of a pull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Looks like the car is ultimately going to go back to the dealer from which it came -- it seems to be something of a problem child, and while an enthusiast (or masochist) might be willing to take it on, it's not something with which my coworker wants to deal.

As promised, here are pictures:

(click image for gallery)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
yup, looks like a standback was ripped outta there. wouldn't an AP clear the code? and since it has a cobb sri, there should be a good map for him to run. what other problems is he having?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts